Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA's

Default Re: NCAA's

The NCAA tournament is hard, but Pentz and Parker didn't give themselves a chance in those matches. Caliendo just wasn't good enough

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    The NCAA tournament is hard, but Pentz and Parker didn't give themselves a chance in those matches. Caliendo just wasn't good enough
    The NCAA tournament since the move to DI has not been kind to the Bison.

Franek will be the 5th match on mat 3, so he should wrestle just before noon.

Huge, huge match for him. Win and you're an All American. That would take all of the pressure off of him and he'd have a real shot at an NCAA title.

A loss, and he has to sweat out his 3rd blood round. Good news: there is no Jacori Teemer or David Carr level talent waiting for the loser of Humphreys/Franek. There are 4 Big 12 guys that could meet the loser of this one and Franek is better than them all. Gfeller is the highest seed of them, but he never threatened Jared in the Big 12 Championship match.

I think Franek wins this one 3-2 and makes the semis.

March has Austin Gomez, who looked good yesterday.

I think the plan has to be "go big or go home"...literally. Have to get into dynamic situations and force Gomez to execute explosive movements. That is normally a bad strategy, as Gomez is as explosive and dangerous as they come, but he was at like 70% at B1Gs and I'd force him to match your dynamic movements.

If Kellyn can beat Gomez, that should be a massive confidence boost and set him up for a match he'd be favored in, and then very likely against Max Murin to become an AA. He's an underdog vs Gomez, so might as well go out guns blazing.

My prediction is Kellyn loses to Gomez, but he does have a chance.

Caliendo has a challenging but very, very realistic path to AA. First he has Matt Olguin, who is the 8 seed. Mikey has had the better year, but he needs to wrestle better than he did yesterday. Next would be McCoy or Ogunsanya, with my guess being McCoy, who has looked good the past couple weeks and is the ACC champ. Then, to AA he would have #29 seed Caleb Fish, who I would expect Mikey to dominate.

I think Mikey is a ~60% favorite in this first match and probably a 60% favorite vs McCoy too. He has as good of a path as he could have hoped for, now he just needs to go out, perform and earn it. I think he will and we'll have 2 All Americans by the time the night is done.

Pentz has a challenging path to AA. He is in probably a coin flip vs Harvey of Oregon State, and I like Pentz to win that one.

After that, his reward would likely be reigning NCAA champ Max Dean. Dean is a grinder who is a monster on top. To beat him, you need to beat him from neutral, and I can't see Owen doing that.

If Pentz got by Dean, He'd likely have slick freshman Jaxon Smith from Maryland. I could very easily see Pentz winning that one (I could also see Smith picking him apart and winning by a comfortable margin). Smith is quick and smooth from neutral but Pentz's ties would present a unique challenge and I think he could win. If Pentz made it here, I'd predict a win and AA status.

I think Pentz beats Harvey then loses to Dean. Hopefully Pentz has some more magic in store and proves me wrong.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I’m calling Franek in OT. Man I hope he wins
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Franek won't start until after noon now. They're holding matches for the broadcast and it's going slow. Just now starting 133.

Franek should start around 1215-1220 on mat 3

March coming up on mat 7