Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wnit

Default Re: Wnit

So...back to my question. Does this mean we would have lost $15k or more if we had hosted a Women's NIT game instead of traveling to one? Why else would you not take the lesser of two costs? Matt?

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    So...back to my question. Does this mean we would have lost $15k or more if we had hosted a Women's NIT game instead of traveling to one? Why else would you not take the lesser of two costs? Matt?
    No does not mean we would have lost $15K. Minimum bid was $6,500 and then $7,500 for 2nd round, based on how Matt worded it I'd guess we bid somewhere in the $8-10K range. We won't lose $15K traveling, we'll only lose the difference between what the actual travel costs are and the $15K the NIT credits back so could be very minimal. In my conversation with Matt it sounded like they were comfortable potentially losing a little money to host just to try to boost the WBB brand a little bit so I honestly don't think it was for a lack of trying but if you look at the teams regionally that we were likely bidding against in Oregon, KSU, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, etc we probably weren't beating them unless we went way in the red to host. Now if we would have drawn Green Bay, UNI, Missouri St, something along those lines we could have potentially outbid them but that unfortunately is not how it played out.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    No does not mean we would have lost $15K. Minimum bid was $6,500 and then $7,500 for 2nd round, based on how Matt worded it I'd guess we bid somewhere in the $8-10K range. We won't lose $15K traveling, we'll only lose the difference between what the actual travel costs are and the $15K the NIT credits back so could be very minimal. In my conversation with Matt it sounded like they were comfortable potentially losing a little money to host just to try to boost the WBB brand a little bit so I honestly don't think it was for a lack of trying but if you look at the teams regionally that we were likely bidding against in Oregon, KSU, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, etc we probably weren't beating them unless we went way in the red to host. Now if we would have drawn Green Bay, UNI, Missouri St, something along those lines we could have potentially outbid them but that unfortunately is not how it played out.
    Larsen told McFeely that NDSU is responsible for the first $15K of travel, so that's the guaranteed spend if you have a road game.
    https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...extend-seasons

So unless your gameday costs are significant or you don't think you'll pick up any extra income in concessions/parking/etc, seems strange to not bid close to or above that $15,000 mark.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Larsen told McFeely that NDSU is responsible for the first $15K of travel, so that's the guaranteed spend if you have a road game.
    https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...extend-seasons

So unless your gameday costs are significant or you don't think you'll pick up any extra income in concessions/parking/etc, seems strange to not bid close to or above that $15,000 mark.
    I think the bid is only what you provide to the NIT organization. They may or may not make money hosting the event itself If the cost to host the event is $20k and they only get $10k in revenue but have to give $6k to NIT, the total cost is $16k. I'm totally making up those numbers for demonstration purposes, but none of us know what those numbers are. But a $6k bid isn't necessarily the final relevant number to compare to $15k for travel to another site.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I think the bid is only what you provide to the NIT organization. They may or may not make money hosting the event itself If the cost to host the event is $20k and they only get $10k in revenue but have to give $6k to NIT, the total cost is $16k. I'm totally making up those numbers for demonstration purposes, but none of us know what those numbers are. But a $6k bid isn't necessarily the final relevant number to compare to $15k for travel to another site.
    WNIT takes a fairly large chunk of ticket revenue, which is why I didn't include that in where you'd make some money back.
    Owning the venue, I wouldn't think the cost of hosting the event itself would be a huge number. I would think staff to get the venue ready, work during and clean-up after would be your largest expense.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I misunderstood, I thought the NIT covered the first $15,000 and NDSU was responsible for the rest. Yeah the bid amount is just the fee to the NIT, then you still have all of your traditional gameday expenses of staffing the facility and with the NIT taking a chunk of the ticket revenue it'd be tough to make any money either way. If we can get a W and Rice would happen to beat BYU there's still a chance we could host a 2nd round game. I also doubt we outbid BYU so need two things to happen for that scenario to potentially happen.

I think the point is that you don’t have to make any money on the home game the objective should be to size the bid so you don’t lose more than what you are out of pocket for the road game (15k) minus whatever intangible value you put on hosting. So the question is was our process right in sizing the bid?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think the point is that you don’t have to make any money on the home game the objective should be to size the bid so you don’t lose more than what you are out of pocket for the road game (15k) minus whatever intangible value you put on hosting. So the question is was our process right in sizing the bid?
    exactly. if we stood to make ANY profit on a home game, the bid should have been $15k. thats why i asked ofiginally what net profit or loss we would expect from hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    just take it out of Matt Larson salary this year
    And here you are on the women’s forum again. I thought you said women’s sports don’t matter

Quote Originally Posted by garbageman View Post
    And here you are on the women’s forum again. I thought you said women’s sports don’t matter
    and you clowns have been hashing out this bid for 2 days now. hahaha wow . big deal
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?