Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Proposed Football Rule Changes

Default Re: NCAA Proposed Football Rule Changes

Code Silver, I repeat we have a Code Silver. This is not a drill. Boomer is booming. We need a response team armed with Facebook memes and Sean Hannity clips dispatched immediately.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Code Silver, I repeat we have a Code Silver. This is not a drill. Boomer is booming. We need a response team armed with Facebook memes and Sean Hannity clips dispatched immediately.
    ++++++++++

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The NCAA rules committee met in Indy this week and proposed some rule changes. These are not final until approved by the oversight panel in April.

The biggest one is the clock will not stop after a first down in bounds until the last 2 minutes of each half. The intent of this is to keep the game moving faster. It won't have a significant impact on the game. Prior to this change, the referee was normally starting the game clock with around 35 seconds left on the play clock outside of the last 2 minutes of each half. If you estimate 40 first downs at best this saves 3-4 minutes. Even less if you account for first downs that end OOB or inside of two minutes of each half. As for the other rules, it's rare for an untimed down at the end of any quarter so this will minimal impact.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/3/3/m...-football.aspx
    I thought Reptilians usually gathered in Davos?
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

I think a more elegant way of what SD is saying, is many of us detest rule changes the mess with the essence of the game. I didn't like it when the NFL began starting the clock after going out of bounds and then college too. That is a fundamental rule; you go out of bounds, clocks should stay stopped, just like an incomplete pass. I still don't like it.

Now, one of the really cool, quirks in the college game is the clock stop to move the chains. It really creates an interesting dynamic, particularly when one team is down by 2 scores late in a game. 2 minutes is not a enough time, and you are messing the game dynamic just like they did with the out of bounds crap.

So, just stop it. But no, games are long do to the spread BS offenses and TV timeouts, so better to mess with fundamental elements of the game, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I think a more elegant way of what SD is saying, is many of us detest rule changes the mess with the essence of the game. I didn't like it when the NFL began starting the clock after going out of bounds and then college too. That is a fundamental rule; you go out of bounds, clocks should stay stopped, just like an incomplete pass. I still don't like it.

Now, one of the really cool, quirks in the college game is the clock stop to move the chains. It really creates an interesting dynamic, particularly when one team is down by 2 scores late in a game. 2 minutes is not a enough time, and you are messing the game dynamic just like they did with the out of bounds crap.

So, just stop it. But no, games are long do to the spread BS offenses and TV timeouts, so better to mess with fundamental elements of the game, I guess.
    Additionally, some of the appeal to not changing rules is the more there is consistency the more you can compare past and present legacies. It’s what used to make baseball so compelling before PEDs…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I thought Reptilians usually gathered in Davos?
    Just call them capitalists bro
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Yes we need to go back to before they allowed the forward pass
    We need old school
    Or at least move the hash marks back out where they used to be.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Now, one of the really cool, quirks in the college game is the clock stop to move the chains. It really creates an interesting dynamic, particularly when one team is down by 2 scores late in a game. 2 minutes is not a enough time, ...
    Agree. I'm not sure stopping for the chains in the last 4 minutes is enough.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Rules get changed as the game changes. Not sure why that's such a problem for some folks. Those "spread BS offenses" are a natural evolution of the game, causing the game to stretch longer and longer. Prior to those "spread BS offenses", it was the West Coast Offense that was lengthening the game. They've been making little, almost unnoticeable at least to me, changes to the game for decades to combat the length of the game. If they didn't do this, the average game would be 4+ hours long and people would probably lose some interest...which would be devastating to this game that we all love.

By the way, I absolutely LOVE the college rule that stops the clock to move the chains. I really wish the NFL did that. It is such a cool dynamic in the college game when one team is down and trying to get back in the game late.
    Insert something clever here...

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Agree. I'm not sure stopping for the chains in the last 4 minutes is enough.
    And it's really not to move the chains because the play clock is still 40 seconds in both cases and the ball is ready for play in both instances. There is probably some legacy reason for it, but it's definitely not to move the chains today. It is a big part of strategy today at the end of a close game.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk