Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Tourney

Default Re: Summit Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    What did ORU coach say about the tournament location? He want it in Tulsa....
    He just wants it out of Sioux Falls. So does our university president. After the pep rally disbanded, TSCF, SD, and myself were downing the last of our adult beverages and , lo and behold, Pres. Cook stopped at our table and thanked us for attending the tourney, supporting the Bison, etc. He made some small talk about Kansas and Phog Allen fieldhouse and the atmosphere there during basketball games. He then asked for our opinions about the SL tournament and the site. He was a bit surprised to find out that although the 3 of us were living in SF, (SD, Garretson is close enough) we thought certain schools had an unfair home court advantage due to proximity of their schools and we would like to see the event moved out of SF. We were very surprised at his answer (at least I was). The SL tourney will be in Sioux Falls in 2024 and 2025 due to the contracts already signed. In March of 2026, we'll see how well bunny basketball fans travel. If a vote were taken today, five of the ten schools would vote to have it moved: ORU, UND, NDSU, Western Illinois, St. Thomas. Although he didn't say that specifically, one can conclude that, if a vote were taken, that's how those schools would vote. Swing votes would be Omaha and/or KC. USD, SDSU, and I imagine Denver would vote to keep it in SF. Of course, bids would have to be submitted, a suitable venue identified with open dates that correspond within the time frame of the SL tournament. If I were a betting man, I would bet that some venue in Minneapolis/ST. Paul will host the 2026 SL tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    He just wants it out of Sioux Falls. So does our university president. After the pep rally disbanded, TSCF, SD, and myself were downing the last of our adult beverages and , lo and behold, Pres. Cook stopped at our table and thanked us for attending the tourney, supporting the Bison, etc. He made some small talk about Kansas and Phog Allen fieldhouse and the atmosphere there during basketball games. He then asked for our opinions about the SL tournament and the site. He was a bit surprised to find out that although the 3 of us were living in SF, (SD, Garretson is close enough) we thought certain schools had an unfair home court advantage due to proximity of their schools and we would like to see the event moved out of SF. We were very surprised at his answer (at least I was). The SL tourney will be in Sioux Falls in 2024 and 2025 due to the contracts already signed. In March of 2026, we'll see how well bunny basketball fans travel. If a vote were taken today, five of the ten schools would vote to have it moved: ORU, UND, NDSU, Western Illinois, St. Thomas. Although he didn't say that specifically, one can conclude that, if a vote were taken, that's how those schools would vote. Swing votes would be Omaha and/or KC. USD, SDSU, and I imagine Denver would vote to keep it in SF. Of course, bids would have to be submitted, a suitable venue identified with open dates that correspond within the time frame of the SL tournament. If I were a betting man, I would bet that some venue in Minneapolis/ST. Paul will host the 2026 SL tournament.
    Thanks for that tidbit!!’
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Has the Summit League had a team higher than a 12 seed in recent history? I don't think so. (like last 15 years)
    I think NDSU and SDSU at 12 sees were the highest?

I can see Oral Roberts getting an 11 seed if they win tonight, and some upsets happen in other conference tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    So....for as much as it sucks having the tourney in SF, in the Bunnies/Yotes backyard, it is a fairly centralized location, with six teams being within three-four hours (UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, St. Thomas, and Omaha). Would the Summit ever consider having the regular season conference champ host the subsequent year's tournament, similar to what they do in softball/baseball? I realize that could potentially cause attendance issues if the tournament were to be at Western or Denver...but, just spit-balling.

I could see the tournament moving to the Twin Cities, as well...Williams Arena, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    So....for as much as it sucks having the tourney in SF, in the Bunnies/Yotes backyard, it is a fairly centralized location, with six teams being within three-four hours (UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, St. Thomas, and Omaha). Would the Summit ever consider having the regular season conference champ host the subsequent year's tournament, similar to what they do in softball/baseball? I realize that could potentially cause attendance issues if the tournament were to be at Western or Denver...but, just spit-balling.

I could see the tournament moving to the Twin Cities, as well...Williams Arena, perhaps?
    I think it should rotate. Target Center, Scheels Arena / Dome, Alerus, Denny, KC, Omaha, Tulsa and Denver

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think it should rotate. Target Center, Scheels Arena / Dome, Alerus, Denny, KC, Omaha, Tulsa and Denver
    I'd be fine rotating it but wouldn't like to give it directly to specific schools like that. Target Center? Ok, MSP is a hub city for airlines and drivable for several schools. Sioux Falls? central location and drivable for several schools. Fargo? Grand Forks? Tulsa? Gross. Denver? Not ideal, but a hub city so flights are easy. Omaha could work. They got a nice venue for Creighton there I believe. KC has the T-Mobile Center, and our tourney would be done before the Big XII tourney begins.
    College of Business Alumnus

Once again, the NDHSAA blazes a trail for the rest of the world by discontinuing home ice advantage at every State hockey tournament in El Forko.

Get a clue, Summit League.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Once again, the NDHSAA blazes a trail for the rest of the world by discontinuing home ice advantage at every State hockey tournament in El Forko.

Get a clue, Summit League.
    North Dakota - Famous for being ahead of the times!
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    North Dakota - Famous for being ahead of the times!
    It’s THEE thing we’re known for—THAT, and Josh Duhamel.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post

Please share a site that would be more fair to the majority of conference members?

Twin Cities? - easy travel yes, but quite advantageous to the one school who has openly expressed a desire to leave the conference for Big East.
    Omaha? - a Creighton University town that supports Omaha poorly. Attendance would be piss poor.

Any where else is in a town that supports just one school in this conference.