Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Tourney

Default Re: Summit Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    If you look at a map of Summit schools, I would disagree with KC being central. Omaha yes but not KC. I also don’t think being central necessarily matters. They could have the tournament at the campus of ORU, Western, Denver, Omaha and Kansas City and they wouldn’t come close to the attendance that SF has. Those schools are all second and third tier from a fan perspective in their regions. I think the only location that would make sense other than SF is MSP. I would like to see it happen but I also don’t think it will. SF has been successful with it and they don’t want to lose it.
    KC would be fine as a consolation. In high school, state wrestling was in Fargo 2/3 years. Bismarck the other 1/3. You don't put it there because it's "better", you give it to them as a treat of sorts for the western ND schools. Similar concept if the Summit decided to mix it up.
    College of Business Alumnus

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    Without the ESPN money, the tournament probably isn't very much of a moneymaker for the participating schools. Hence, you get the same type of scheduling as ESPN does with CFB Bowl games...you play in the "Down the Crapper" Flush Bowl...it is a Thursday in December....you play in the New Year's 6 you play on 1/1...same deal...the Summit is closer to the Flush Bowl in terms of team talent than it is the NY 6.
    I'm not so sure that's right. Do you really think ESPN is paying big bucks for the Summit tournament finals? And then sticking it on ESPN2 against WCC game on ESPN?
    Agreed that it isn't a priority for them, which is also why I don't think they are paying them much money.
    If that really is the case, you'd think one of the non-ESPN networks would be willing to pay something to throw them enough money to move it to a Saturday or Sunday?
    I'm guessing they make a good chunk of their money on the solid attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    I'm not so sure that's right. Do you really think ESPN is paying big bucks for the Summit tournament finals? And then sticking it on ESPN2 against WCC game on ESPN?
    Agreed that it isn't a priority for them, which is also why I don't think they are paying them much money.
    If that really is the case, you'd think one of the non-ESPN networks would be willing to pay something to throw them enough money to move it to a Saturday or Sunday?
    I'm guessing they make a good chunk of their money on the solid attendance.
    Agree Attendance is a key factor.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    We agree on most things, TSCF, but not here. My points have been made before, it just makes sense that you rotate it between a few more central locations…
    The lack of competing locations speaks for itself. Meanwhile, I will continue to chuckle at the bitching.

Just do Wed-Sat or Thur-Sun and tell espn to just put it on the app. Anyone who wants to watch, can watch. And people who wanna go to the game(s) can go.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    The lack of competing locations speaks for itself. Meanwhile, I will continue to chuckle at the bitching.
    Same. Seems like the main point of bitching about it, is that there's to many blue/red shirts in the stands. Guarantee the other teams, including NDSU, love it and love the chance to shut them up. Great Tourney spot.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Location is a factor, facility is a big factor, attendance the key factor. Let's say you let the 1 seed host and it's in Tulsa and they lose in the first round and then what? Nobody is gonna show up to watch the rest of the tourney. Plenty of basketball fans in Sioux Falls still show up whether their team is playing or not. Rotating sites is tough on fans, I hope it never leaves, I love it in SF.

I wouldn't be opposed to days changed but honestly for fan attendance it makes the most sense the way it is now. If you start on Wednesday, over half the teams are gone by the semifinals on Saturday and if the south dakota teams aren't in it it'll be empty all weekend. This way all fan bases can make the first couple rounds and then stay if they want.

MSP I wouldn't be opposed to but there's not a great venue for it there. The Xcel and Target Center are way too big I think and it definitely loses it's luster when it's not full, not to mention both facilities are in mid season during the tournament.

Latest Joe Lunardi bracketology has
    Oral Roberts as a 12 seed, playing 5 seed Indiana in Albany.
    That pod feeds into Kansas City

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ness-men-field

I'd like to see ORU as a 10 or 11. but guessing 12-13 due to summit schedule
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Ooohh, this looks easy to root for

12 seed Oral Roberts vs 5 seed Duke at Orlando FL

Thursday March 16

https://twitter.com/ORUMBB/status/16...564060161?s=20