Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Tourney

Default Re: Summit Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Just like Frisco for football, MSP (or some entity within the metro) would have to submit a bid to host the tournament. The conference doesn't just decide to go there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    I suspect St Thomas has enough cache in MSP that they could get someone to submit such a bid. If I was UST I would absolutely do that .. it would bolster not only my profile in the conference, in the city of MSP and possibly with the NCAA.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Just like Frisco for football, MSP (or some entity within the metro) would have to submit a bid to host the tournament. The conference doesn't just decide to go there.

Definitely. I would guess that St. Thomas, NDSU, UND have some powerful connections in Minneapolis to lean on to convince them to bid. With the success in Sioux Falls and the fact that any venue in MSP large enough to work already has numerous marquee events I would guess that they aren't going to place as much value on getting it as Sioux Falls does. Highly likely that SF outbids MSP.

I listen to all these arguments every year and find them humerous. BigLake is spot on with the MSP thoughts. The only other option, IMO, would be Omaha. Guess how well that would draw....

The Summit is one of the best mid-major bball tourneys in the country. Folks can bitch and moan all they want, but the attendance success for both men's and women's speaks for itself. It is also in a perfect sized, beautiful venue. This tournament is going nowhere. Its not hurting our tournament success, last I checked.....

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I listen to all these arguments every year and find them humerous. BigLake is spot on with the MSP thoughts. The only other option, IMO, would be Omaha. Guess how well that would draw....

The Summit is one of the best mid-major bball tourneys in the country. Folks can bitch and moan all they want, but the attendance success for both men's and women's speaks for itself. It is also in a perfect sized, beautiful venue. This tournament is going nowhere. Its not hurting our tournament success, last I checked.....
    We agree on most things, TSCF, but not here. My points have been made before, it just makes sense that you rotate it between a few more central locations…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    We agree on most things, TSCF, but not here. My points have been made before, it just makes sense that you rotate it between a few more central locations…
    If other locations actually wanted it (with a competitive bid), would support it (with comparable ticket sales) and thus it would make a comparable amount money for the conference, absolutely!
    But I don't think those 3 things are true for the other available options. Sioux Falls embraces the tournament within the community, sells a whole bunch of tickets and has a facility that is about perfect. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to move it just to test the waters for a year or two, but I don't think that it would be as successful.

I don't know what the ESPN money is and I understand the exposure part of it, but the Friday-Tuesday setup is terrible. Get it Wednesday-Saturday or even Thursday-Sunday and you would have a more diverse representation of the fan base, even though its roughly the same amount of time off from work for most people.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    If other locations actually wanted it (with a competitive bid), would support it (with comparable ticket sales) and thus it would make a comparable amount money for the conference, absolutely!
    But I don't think those 3 things are true for the other available options. Sioux Falls embraces the tournament within the community, sells a whole bunch of tickets and has a facility that is about perfect. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to move it just to test the waters for a year or two, but I don't think that it would be as successful.

I don't know what the ESPN money is and I understand the exposure part of it, but the Friday-Tuesday setup is terrible. Get it Wednesday-Saturday or even Thursday-Sunday and you would have a more diverse representation of the fan base, even though its roughly the same amount of time off from work for most people.
    Without the ESPN money, the tournament probably isn't very much of a moneymaker for the participating schools. Hence, you get the same type of scheduling as ESPN does with CFB Bowl games...you play in the "Down the Crapper" Flush Bowl...it is a Thursday in December....you play in the New Year's 6 you play on 1/1...same deal...the Summit is closer to the Flush Bowl in terms of team talent than it is the NY 6.

I agree on your other point regarding other locations bidding. It just may not be enough of a event to convince MSP.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    MSP is certainly not central.

Omaha, KC are the only two options that meet a “central” location definition … and neither would draw well.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Definitely. I would guess that St. Thomas, NDSU, UND have some powerful connections in Minneapolis to lean on to convince them to bid. With the success in Sioux Falls and the fact that any venue in MSP large enough to work already has numerous marquee events I would guess that they aren't going to place as much value on getting it as Sioux Falls does. Highly likely that SF outbids MSP.
    Exactly. Not only is it submitting the bid, but if you get it you are now responsible for coordinating hotels, arrivals, hosts, practices, game administration, volunteers, etc. That's a lot of work for several months leading up to the event. This year those resources were tied up with the B1G tournaments. If you haven't been involved with those events, you would be surprised by how much work is involved.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wcb_sas View Post
    MSP is certainly not central.

Omaha, KC are the only two options that meet a “central” location definition … and neither would draw well.
    If you look at a map of Summit schools, I would disagree with KC being central. Omaha yes but not KC. I also don’t think being central necessarily matters. They could have the tournament at the campus of ORU, Western, Denver, Omaha and Kansas City and they wouldn’t come close to the attendance that SF has. Those schools are all second and third tier from a fan perspective in their regions. I think the only location that would make sense other than SF is MSP. I would like to see it happen but I also don’t think it will. SF has been successful with it and they don’t want to lose it.

I saw newspaper article say Summit makes about a Million off the tournament right now.