Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Tourney

Default Re: Summit Tourney

The days the tourney is held is the critical problem with the inability for fans to travel. Finishing on a Monday and Tuesday. SDSU can act like they travel. It is corporate seats. Sioux Falls residents. They haven't watched many SDSU games all year. They look forward to it.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Th tournament is there for the next two seasons, and I dont see any way it moves anywhere else. The central location for most of the league and the fact that the Summit League headquarters is there is one thing. But we all know its about money. And this tournament sells a lot of tickets. I mean, there is going to be 9,000 people at a womens game at 2:00 on a Tuesday afternoon. A lot of Power 5 womens tournaments aren’t getting that. Get used to continued time in Sioux Falls. The only think I wish is that the semis and finals were on a weekend to get more Bison fans there. But ESPN tells us when they can broadcast the championship game so that is set for now.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    The days the tourney is held is the critical problem with the inability for fans to travel. Finishing on a Monday and Tuesday. SDSU can act like they travel. It is corporate seats. Sioux Falls residents. They haven't watched many SDSU games all year. They look forward to it.
    Yeah if it were Thursday-Saturday/Sunday or whatever, I would anticipate a more diverse crowd, but I suppose that won't be happening.
    College of Business Alumnus

Agreed. fake sdsu fans from shit falls
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Agreed. fake sdsu fans from shit falls
    I rarely post, but my god man, are you 10?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTitan View Post
    I rarely post, but my god man, are you 10?
    He has single handedly ruined what was once a solid fan site. Everything needs to be so polarizing. It is too bad. Wish it would/could end. Such a tough look for a solid fan base.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

The tournament in SF is good at drawing attendance and $$$. A big crowd makes the tournament more interesting even if they are heavy SDSU fans. Two local teams that really support the basketball product. People in the area look forward to the tournament, many of the tickets are sold in advance of who is even playing. The venue is nearly perfect for the crowds that are drawn.

If the tournament is held in Omaha I doubt attendance would be close.

The other interesting location as an NDSU fan would be Minneapolis/STPaul in my eyes. Having it in KC or Saint Louis doesn't do much for me personally. The venue in cities should be 5000 to 6000 seats - (Target / Exel Center are too big).

Now that Saint Thomas is in conference there was a lot more Star Tribune coverage of the tournament compared to past years.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Amen Burgundy! Any traveling fan would be far more likely to show up if the Tournament was Thursday through Sunday. In the current setup, I have to take Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday off from work to attend the tournament... For you media people that like to compare it to Frisco: That is 2 more days that I have to take off of work compared to Frisco. Plus Frisco is easier to plan for.

If the Summit kept the Tournament in Sioux Falls, but moved it to a Thursday through Sunday timeline, you would see FAR more out of town fans apply for tickets. The problem is that the Summit League has no incentive for this because the South Dakota fans that live 5 minutes away buy up all of the tickets.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    The tournament in SF is good at drawing attendance and $$$. A big crowd makes the tournament more interesting even if they are heavy SDSU fans. Two local teams that really support the basketball product. People in the area look forward to the tournament, many of the tickets are sold in advance of who is even playing. The venue is nearly perfect for the crowds that are drawn.

If the tournament is held in Omaha I doubt attendance would be close.

The other interesting location as an NDSU fan would be Minneapolis/STPaul in my eyes. Having it in KC or Saint Louis doesn't do much for me personally. The venue in cities should be 5000 to 6000 seats - (Target / Exel Center are too big).

Now that Saint Thomas is in conference there was a lot more Star Tribune coverage of the tournament compared to past years.
    What venue in the TC hold 5000-6000? I'm not aware of anything close to that size that is set up for basketball. If it's in the TC it's likely Target Center, Xcel or Williams Arena. All of the other colleges/universities in town have small gyms and I'm not aware of a high school arena that would seat that many. There are a couple hockey arenas that would be in that range but I'm not sure they would have the ability to accommodate basketball. As much as it really sucks to see the home court advantage that the SD schools get, it is hard to believe that any other location would sell the tickets that SF does. The Twin Cities might because UND, NDSU, SDSU and St. Thomas all have a good amount of alumni in the area but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Th tournament is there for the next two seasons, and I dont see any way it moves anywhere else. The central location for most of the league and the fact that the Summit League headquarters is there is one thing. But we all know its about money. And this tournament sells a lot of tickets. I mean, there is going to be 9,000 people at a womens game at 2:00 on a Tuesday afternoon. A lot of Power 5 womens tournaments aren’t getting that. Get used to continued time in Sioux Falls. The only think I wish is that the semis and finals were on a weekend to get more Bison fans there. But ESPN tells us when they can broadcast the championship game so that is set for now.
    But ESPN is showing it on a Tuesday night on ESPN2!

I’d rather it be on a Thursday or Friday on FSN or TBS or something other than the shitty Walt Disney umbrella.