Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    So this MN plan maybe not so crazy after all?
    I haven't seen the details but Florida and Georgia have programs where residents can get a large part of tuition covered. I believe they need a decent high school GPA to qualify (3.0 I think) and then maintain a GPA in college. Not everyone will qualify and not everyone can sustain. Largely funded by a lottery in Georgia.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    They also fund a percentage of the operating budget. The challenge many state universities have though is states have cut that funding significantly over the past 30 years. That's one of the reasons tuition has risen so much in that time.

Precisely. Cutting of state funding for higher ed has shifted the burden of funding onto the tuition paid by students and has inflated student debt.

This already exists in some states in some form of student loan forgiveness programs for doctors and lawyers that agree to practice in underserved rural towns and I think also for teachers no matter what school district they work in, but I could possibly see paying tuition for nurses (RN's and LPN's), rural CPA's, electricians, plumbers, HVAC, mechanics, and pretty much everything you see at NDSCS/BSC and the MNSCTC campuses. Maybe even engineers and the hard sciences as well. And this all should definitely have GPA qualifiers attached to it.

You can take your liberal arts major tuition dollars and embrace the suck of paying that back on your own for the next 10-30 years...this coming from a political science graduate. I don't want to pay tuition to churn out a bunch of supposed "well-rounded, deep-thinking, articulate, good at communicating" people that end up working retail because they have a pretty useless friggin degree that doesn't translate well to a real world job.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    This already exists in some states in some form of student loan forgiveness programs for doctors and lawyers that agree to practice in underserved rural towns and I think also for teachers no matter what school district they work in, but I could possibly see paying tuition for nurses (RN's and LPN's), rural CPA's, electricians, plumbers, HVAC, mechanics, and pretty much everything you see at NDSCS/BSC and the MNSCTC campuses. Maybe even engineers and the hard sciences as well. And this all should definitely have GPA qualifiers attached to it.

You can take your liberal arts major tuition dollars and embrace the suck of paying that back on your own for the next 10-30 years...this coming from a political science graduate. I don't want to pay tuition to churn out a bunch of supposed "well-rounded, deep-thinking, articulate, good at communicating" people that end up working retail because they have a pretty useless friggin degree that doesn't translate well to a real world job.
    Yeah there is some neat programs for certain fields.
    College of Business Alumnus

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The sky is not falling for MN students attending NDSU. For one, this bill isn't even out of senate committee, much less passed by both houses. The numbers clearly don't make sense so either is pretty close to ND(and other states) tuition forgiveness programs or so ridiculously expensive they're trying to hide it, which will fail.

I have seen employers give a job offer to a kid in college or just starting to attend college. The terms are if you finish college with your degree you get the job offer. In year one I give you a bonus of X dollars to go to your student loans. In year two I have you a higher bonus and so on for up to 5 years. You need to stay employed with them obviously and do your job. But this is a way the kid knows there is a job waiting for them and they will get help from employer to help with student loan debt. Now that still requires the kid use the "bonus" money for that.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

It is amazing the mental, financial and logistical gymnastics people are willing to go through in order to avoid fixing the actual problems causing the increased “costs” of higher ed lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I have seen employers give a job offer to a kid in college or just starting to attend college. The terms are if you finish college with your degree you get the job offer. In year one I give you a bonus of X dollars to go to your student loans. In year two I have you a higher bonus and so on for up to 5 years. You need to stay employed with them obviously and do your job. But this is a way the kid knows there is a job waiting for them and they will get help from employer to help with student loan debt. Now that still requires the kid use the "bonus" money for that.
    Down at NDSCS it's harder to find a kid in a technical program without a deal like that.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post

I work with people in corporations so the time with English degrees or history degrees. My wife worked for a very strong leader as a national sales VP in the medical diagnostic field who had a degree in operatic music. I worked for a marketing director who had a degree in strategic warfare. College is not job training in most cases. You can do a lot of things with almost any major.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I work with people in corporations so the time with English degrees or history degrees. My wife worked for a very strong leader as a national sales VP in the medical diagnostic field who had a degree in operatic music. I worked for a marketing director who had a degree in strategic warfare. College is not job training in most cases. You can do a lot of things with almost any major.

I agree, but there is not a shortage of liberal arts graduates in the USA. They can apply the ability to effectively communicate (and maybe even eventually lead) in a variety of careers fields, as your post points out -- they tend to specialize in not specializing. There are probably millions of examples of psychology and criminal justice major types being leaders in business. My point is society could maybe help out and possibly even steer people into technical/specialized majors where there is huge shortage of people working in those careers.

I don't think there is a shortage of strategic warfare, English, or operatic music majors. Of course, I don't have any data or links that supports my statement, as is required per Bisonville peer review.

Cognitive dissonance time...does this go against my strong capitalistic / libertarian views?
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.