Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Why would it be a joke? North Dakota is dying for more out of state workers. NDSU and UND are huge magnets for out of state folks to move to ND and never move back.

Yes, we understand the first-order thinking, so let’s dive deeper. How can states rationalize giving out of state corporations tax breaks to move to their state, yet charge out of state students more to do the same?
    It's already significantly cheaper at NDSU for an out of state student than any other state. And it's not much more than in state tuition at those states. One thing I didn't mention is ND is also a very easy state to get state residency. Get your ND driver's license when you arrive and stay over the summer between your freshman and sophomore year, and you get residency. I've never heard of another state that easy. If someone isn't coming for $14k, it's not likely they'd come for $9k. When you compare it to other state universities, it is a relative deal. I say relative because they are all too expensive.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It's already significantly cheaper at NDSU for an out of state student than any other state. And it's not much more than in state tuition at those states. One thing I didn't mention is ND is also a very easy state to get state residency. Get your ND driver's license when you arrive and stay over the summer between your freshman and sophomore year, and you get residency. I've never heard of another state that easy. If someone isn't coming for $14k, it's not likely they'd come for $9k. When you compare it to other state universities, it is a relative deal. I say relative because they are all too expensive.

Well does price matter or not? You say clipping off $5k means next to nothing but you spend the rest of the post comparing prices?

You also made a point about how residency can be finessed to get you in-state tuition. Why have out of state tuition at all then?

For what it’s worth when I was in school ten years ago, the vast majority of my friends were from MN. I’m fairly confident that at least 75% of them wouldn’t have even considered NDSU if they weren’t getting essentially in-state tuition through reciprocity. The difference between 9k and 14k is very large for broke college kids. With the scholarship I had, I would’ve been paying more than double out of pocket if I was out of state.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Isn't college free nowadays eh?

Lardsin must go!

Why would it be a joke? North Dakota is dying for more out of state workers. NDSU and UND are huge magnets for out of state folks to move to ND and never move back.

Yes, we understand the first-order thinking, so let’s dive deeper. How can states rationalize giving out of state corporations tax breaks to move to their state, yet charge out of state students more to do the same?
    I don’t believe that out state tuition is the reason that people don’t want to live and work in ND. Perhaps it may have more to do with the social conditions and less to do with the financial ones?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I don’t believe that out state tuition is the reason that people don’t want to live and work in ND. Perhaps it may have more to do with the social conditions and less to do with the financial ones?
    As a MN kid I attended NDSU because as Engineering schools in the area go, it was one of the least expensive even with slightly higher reciprocity tuition. Plus Fargo is less intimidating of a city compared to the cities for a small town country boy. I feel this was a common reason for many kids similar to myself.

20 years post graduation... I'm still here.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well does price matter or not? You say clipping off $5k means next to nothing but you spend the rest of the post comparing prices?

You also made a point about how residency can be finessed to get you in-state tuition. Why have out of state tuition at all then?

For what it’s worth when I was in school ten years ago, the vast majority of my friends were from MN. I’m fairly confident that at least 75% of them wouldn’t have even considered NDSU if they weren’t getting essentially in-state tuition through reciprocity. The difference between 9k and 14k is very large for broke college kids. With the scholarship I had, I would’ve been paying more than double out of pocket if I was out of state.
    I was comparing that the $5k difference is much less than every other school I compared, and the OOS rate is much less than those OOS options and not much more than in state for those other states. I've been through this 3 times with my sons. Once you add in room and board, $5k is a small percentage of the overall cost and puts schools in the same neighborhood when it comes to cost. Many OOS schools and private schools will cost you $30-$40k AFTER financial aid. So paying full boat at NDSU at $25-$27k is very competitive with in state tuition at public schools in other states. Again, way too expensive, but still relatively good to other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think it has to do with most Americans considering it to be in the absolute middle of nowhere. And the weather.

And there are many who come to North Dakota to attend college that come to find out none of these are real or enough to make them move back.

As far as why schools play this whole in state tuition game I’d have a hard time being convinced it’s not just a perpetuation of vote farming by politicians.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

I was comparing that the $5k difference is much less than every other school I compared, and the OOS rate is much less than those OOS options and not much more than in state for those other states. I've been through this 3 times with my sons. Once you add in room and board, $5k is a small percentage of the overall cost and puts schools in the same neighborhood when it comes to cost. Many OOS schools and private schools will cost you $30-$40k AFTER financial aid. So paying full boat at NDSU at $25-$27k is very competitive with in state tuition at public schools in other states. Again, way too expensive, but still relatively good to other schools.

Fair points. Sounds like $5k could tip the scales for quite a bit of out of state folks when they’re making their decision if it were to make NDSU considerably cheaper than their in-state option.

As an aside, I grew up in ND and due to the points you’ve made it essentially made 0 sense for me to pursue my engineering degree anywhere other than NDSU. Which is cool because I love the school but is total BS in reality and based on principle alone I will never back the charging of different kids different amounts of money based on where their parents live.
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Isn't college free nowadays eh?
    Put it all on the loan, eh? Then they'll pay em off for you in the next go around since the $20,000 this time around will not be enough, eh?

I shouldn't talk I did ND stem loan forgiveness for a few grand after I found out about it, several years later and was at the end of my loan.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

5k a year savings is 20 grand over 4 years. Parents have influence over kids decisions

Making someone jump through hoops and move a summer early seems silly to me. Its straight up red tape.

Its already a challenge trying to convince a kid from a state like Iowa to move 7-8 hours to North Dakota for 15k a year when they can go to Iowa, Iowa State or Northern Iowa for under 10k.

Then on top of it, they are required to live on campus year 1, where it's not required in Iowa

Why would someone pay 20k more? Is it our states tropical climate? Are the academic programs way better?

Also North Dakota schools depend more on out of state kids because our population is small

Fargo is one of those cities you love once you get here. But it takes a sales job to convince people. Once they get here, they are sold

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com