Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Default Re: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I agree, but there is not a shortage of liberal arts graduates in the USA. They can apply the ability to effectively communicate (and maybe even eventually lead) in a variety of careers fields, as your post points out -- they tend to specialize in not specializing. There are probably millions of examples of psychology and criminal justice major types being leaders in business. My point is society could maybe help out and possibly even steer people into technical/specialized majors where there is huge shortage of people working in those careers.

I don't think there is a shortage of strategic warfare, English, or operatic music majors. Of course, I don't have any data or links that supports my statement, as is required per Bisonville peer review.

Cognitive dissonance time...does this go against my strong capitalistic / libertarian views?
    Card-carrying NDSU English major has reviewed your post and finds no issues. Carry on…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I agree, but there is not a shortage of liberal arts graduates in the USA. They can apply the ability to effectively communicate (and maybe even eventually lead) in a variety of careers fields, as your post points out -- they tend to specialize in not specializing. There are probably millions of examples of psychology and criminal justice major types being leaders in business. My point is society could maybe help out and possibly even steer people into technical/specialized majors where there is huge shortage of people working in those careers.

I don't think there is a shortage of strategic warfare, English, or operatic music majors. Of course, I don't have any data or links that supports my statement, as is required per Bisonville peer review.

Cognitive dissonance time...does this go against my strong capitalistic / libertarian views?
    I have been an IT consultant for 25+ years with an architecture degree.

College is not job training. There are certain careers where you need a certain degree to work in that field (i.e. pharmacy, engineering), but those are a small percentage of the workforce. And I know people with engineering degrees working in a variety of fields.

If we did a poll here of those with college degrees, I bet we find more where there current job doesn't match their degree than those that do.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

College is not job training. There are certain careers where you need a certain degree to work in that field (i.e. pharmacy, engineering), but those are a small percentage of the workforce. And I know people with engineering degrees working in a variety of fields.

If we did a poll here of those with college degrees, I bet we find more where there current job doesn't match their degree than those that do.

Sounds to me like we probably agree.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Do I get a prize for having 2 degrees (granted both AAS) that match my current job?

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Do I get a prize for having 2 degrees (granted both AAS) that match my current job?
    Absolutely! It does happen. It does happen. There are just so many jobs that aren't specific to any major. I just finished a project where I worked with product owners of credit and payout systems used by merchants who accent payments and/or have to pay others. There isn't a specific major for that kind of rule. Maybe a business major or a finance major or a CS/MIS major? Or some other major and their career evolved into this roles. I looked some up on LinkedIn. One has a BA degree but didn't list his major. His first job was in the Enterprise Rental Car Management program. Another has a degree in German. One of the product directors majored in English and Communications and another studied Biochemistry and Genetics. These are all people who had key roles in designing products for the largest merchant services firms in the world and sold to the largest companies in the world (Disney, AirBnB, and Bet365 are among their biggest clients). One of the guys I worked closely with was on the sales acceleration team. His job was to configure and request development changes to their Salesforce CRM and work with sales people moving opportunities through the sales process. He had has a degree in marketing so it's kind of close, but there isn't a major that teaches you that specific job.

Absolutely! It does happen. It does happen. There are just so many jobs that aren't specific to any major. I just finished a project where I worked with product owners of credit and payout systems used by merchants who accent payments and/or have to pay others. There isn't a specific major for that kind of rule. Maybe a business major or a finance major or a CS/MIS major? Or some other major and their career evolved into this roles. I looked some up on LinkedIn. One has a BA degree but didn't list his major. His first job was in the Enterprise Rental Car Management program. Another has a degree in German. One of the product directors majored in English and Communications and another studied Biochemistry and Genetics. These are all people who had key roles in designing products for the largest merchant services firms in the world and sold to the largest companies in the world (Disney, AirBnB, and Bet365 are among their biggest clients). One of the guys I worked closely with was on the sales acceleration team. His job was to configure and request development changes to their Salesforce CRM and work with sales people moving opportunities through the sales process. He had has a degree in marketing so it's kind of close, but there isn't a major that teaches you that specific job.
    I got a finance degree. There really isn't a specific job that it applies to. Its basically a piece of paper that says "I have an intermediate knowledge of the time value of money."

Of the business degrees, Accounting is the one that translates most directly to a specific career.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I got a finance degree. There really isn't a specific job that it applies to. Its basically a piece of paper that says "I have an intermediate knowledge of the time value of money."

Of the business degrees, Accounting is the one that translates most directly to a specific career.
    Definitely true, but accounting majors go into a variety of professions. I believe you do need an accounting degree to be a CPA if you are going route.

Is this a real thread why is out of state Tuition higher than in state?
    The insanity
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Is this a real thread why is out of state Tuition higher than in state?
    The insanity
    Yes, as apparently doing what every state does is backwards or something
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Yes, as apparently doing what every state does is backwards or something
    Kinda what I said in post number 2 of this very real actual thread.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery