Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Default Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

There is some significant competition for students. I know we have some reciprocity agreements but why do we charge more for out of state students? Wouldnt it be smart to use a lower tuition rate to attract more students, who are potential life long residents? Potential workers? Contributing to the local economy?

What is the North Dakota University Systems mission statement?

Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for all those we serve and the economic and social vitality of North Dakota through the discovery, sharing and application of knowledge.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Default Re: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    There is some significant competition for students. I know we have some reciprocity agreements but why do we charge more for out of state students? Wouldnt it be smart to use a lower tuition rate to attract more students, who are potential life long residents? Potential workers? Contributing to the local economy?

What is the North Dakota University Systems mission statement?

Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for all those we serve and the economic and social vitality of North Dakota through the discovery, sharing and application of knowledge.
    I think it’s because we are trying to keep quality instate students… you can look at it more as an instate/reciprocal discount than an increase if you’re out-of-state.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I think it’s because we are trying to keep quality instate students… you can look at it more as an instate/reciprocal discount than an increase if you’re out-of-state.
    I get the theory buy lets say they lower out of state. Is the perception they are getting a better deal going to drive enrollment? I think out of staters are just looking at the quality and bottom line. Sounds about as effective as saying inflation is transitory

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Was talking to a new employee at work. He grew up in Minnesota and went to Iowa State for less than it would have cost to go to NDSU.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Was talking to a new employee at work. He grew up in Minnesota and went to Iowa State for less than it would have cost to go to NDSU.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Well that might be a problem…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

I'd say it's because ND residents are paying taxes that support North Dakota's higher education systems while out-of-state residents do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd say it's because ND residents are paying taxes that support North Dakota's higher education systems while out-of-state residents do not.
    True but show me an 18 year old that had paid into the tax system. Mom and dad do but they arent attending school and many residents havent lived here long. Not every resident goes to college. They are approaching this like its 1880 and nobody moves or travels

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I hope this is a joke. Every public university in the country charges more for OOS students than in state students. I do know SIU was charging everyone in state tuition this year because they are financially desperate. I don't believe it has significantly affected enrollment yet. Many major universities are using it to increase revenue by accepting more OOS students than in state students.

It's entirely due to taxes supporting the university. Most tuition is paid by parents or students who have worked to pay for school. If someone wants to come from another state, it is perfectly logical to have them pay more.

That being said, OOS tuition is not much more than other state in state tuition. Most programs are $10k-$12k in state and $14-$16k OOS. Arizona State in state tuition is $13k. Their OOS tuition is $32k. Northern Iowa is $9-$11k in state and $19-$21k OOS. Montana State is $8k in state and $29k OOS.

As you can see NDSU is very competitive OOS even to similar schools and their gap from in state to OOS is much smaller. I don't think removing the OOS rate would move the needle much.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I hope this is a joke. Every public university in the country charges more for OOS students than in state students. I do know SIU was charging everyone in state tuition this year because they are financially desperate. I don't believe it has significantly affected enrollment yet. Many major universities are using it to increase revenue by accepting more OOS students than in state students.

It's entirely due to taxes supporting the university. Most tuition is paid by parents or students who have worked to pay for school. If someone wants to come from another state, it is perfectly logical to have them pay more.

That being said, OOS tuition is not much more than other state in state tuition. Most programs are $10k-$12k in state and $14-$16k OOS. Arizona State in state tuition is $13k. Their OOS tuition is $32k. Northern Iowa is $9-$11k in state and $19-$21k OOS. Montana State is $8k in state and $29k OOS.

As you can see NDSU is very competitive OOS even to similar schools and their gap from in state to OOS is much smaller. I don't think removing the OOS rate would move the needle much.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Why would it be a joke? North Dakota is dying for more out of state workers. NDSU and UND are huge magnets for out of state folks to move to ND and never move back.

Yes, we understand the first-order thinking, so let’s dive deeper. How can states rationalize giving out of state corporations tax breaks to move to their state, yet charge out of state students more to do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Why not just do student loan forgiveness if a graduate works in North Dakota for X number of years? My cousin went to nursing school in Alaska and then worked in some remote bush town for a few years to get her tuition loan forgiven. She once wrote that she never imagined she would learn to crochet in her 20s because there wasn't anything else to do in the winter when the sun went down at 2:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Why would it be a joke? North Dakota is dying for more out of state workers. NDSU and UND are huge magnets for out of state folks to move to ND and never move back.

Yes, we understand the first-order thinking, so let’s dive deeper. How can states rationalize giving out of state corporations tax breaks to move to their state, yet charge out of state students more to do the same?
    It's OK to not be OK.