Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Why do we charge more for out of state tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I have been an IT consultant for 25+ years with an architecture degree.

College is not job training. There are certain careers where you need a certain degree to work in that field (i.e. pharmacy, engineering), but those are a small percentage of the workforce. And I know people with engineering degrees working in a variety of fields.

If we did a poll here of those with college degrees, I bet we find more where there current job doesn't match their degree than those that do.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    I’m trying to impress this upon my oldest son right now. He’s an accounting major and I think in his mind he’s going to be doing auditing work as a public accountant the rest of his life. After that first job nobody really cares what your college major was. At least that’s been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    I’m trying to impress this upon my oldest son right now. He’s an accounting major and I think in his mind he’s going to be doing auditing work as a public accountant the rest of his life. After that first job nobody really cares what your college major was. At least that’s been my experience.
    When I was hired by GE in 2004 they required any kind of college degree for my position even though anyone with customer service experience and is reasonably intelligent could do that job.
    It's OK to not be OK.

https://www.startribune.com/st-cloud...lty/600278407/

Consolidation … it’s what’s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
    Both Dakotas should be very nervous about their higher-ed models in the face of this demographic shift
    Beyond cuts, differentiation is the answer (e.g. FB school vs Hockey school)
    Sounds like on-line might be losing its luster as a solution ...
    Last edited by WhoRepsTheLurker; 05-29-2023 at 05:04 PM.

According to that article, the number of students on campus is less than half of what it was ten years ago if 2,500 of the 10,000 students are earning college credits while they are still in high school. Enrollment was at 16,000 in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

Both Dakotas should be very nervous about their higher-ed models in the face of this demographic shift
    It's OK to not be OK.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When it comes to partnerships with online program managers that are giving questionable value as the implementation process, yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    When it comes to partnerships with online program managers that are giving questionable value as the implementation process, yes it is.
    St Cloud also ran into issues by asking their faculty to give up ownership of their class notes, syllabi, etc--things that the faculty created--to the off-campus online program management company...they got a lot of pushback for that....jd

I think there is also concern about the impact of high on-line enrollment on the local community, as well as assessment of how on-line enrollment should be tallied relative to actual physical students

NDSU and UND should be fine, we need to can the rest of the 4 year schools and make them jr colleges . We spend way too much on higher ed for such a small state. Online educations suck and I would be concerned if I was a hiring manager!