Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bison vs und

Default Re: Bison vs und

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    Hard to say as there has been so many. But honest question even though I have been a fan since the 80’s do we have a former player that has played in the NBA. I am hoping Grant gets a shot but it is extremely difficult to make the league.
    Braun made NBA G League. Everyone else over the last 2 decades played overseas I believe. Google told me these three guys were drafted but it looks like none of them played.

YEAR PICK ROUND POS. PLAYER TEAM
    1958 65 9 3 Harry Marske Detroit Pistons
    1957 65 9 3 Jim Sutton Minneapolis Lakers
    1984 115 5 22 Lance Berwald Los Angeles Lakers
    COACH BOHL: We have a great, rich tradition at North Dakota State. The school has won eight National Championships in football. And so we've got a lot of pride, not only with these guys ‑‑ and D.J. alluded to it ‑‑ Bison pride. That goes all the way back to the '60s, I believe 1965.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by land grant bison View Post
    It was a fun atmosphere tonight! That was about the biggest crowd I recall seeing at the SHAC in a long time. Und was lucky to shoot as hot as they did the first half because, had they not, it would have been another 40 point blowout. As the game was ending, I thought about starting an “Ex-tend Sa-ther” (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap) chant.

Question: where would you rank Grant Nelson in terms of NDSU athletes all time (regardless of sport)?
    Are you talking talent? Or NDSU career? Two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post

Honestly, I hadn’t thought through my question too much before I asked it. I left the game Friday night thinking that grant Nelson was, by far, the best player on the court…a man among boys and not even close. I was grateful to watch the pummeling he placed on und and it made me think of “how great are his talents at NDSU all time?”. Since the opponent was und, I thought “what if we were watching the equivalent of Phil Jackson, in his prime.” Obviously Phil Jackson’s coaching career was better than his playing career, but he became famous nonetheless.

When I think about it more…A.) I realize Nelson a junior at NDSU compared to past NDSU players who potentially had full pro careers B.) for reference, I started NDSU in 2004 so there will be quite a bit of bias in “recent” athletes for my list and C.) I don’t follow all NDSU sports with the same level of interest so i likely am lacking an appreciation for, say, awesome wrestlers, but off the top of my head, some athletes that would make my list (and in no particular order):

Phil Hansen
    Stacy Robinson
    Tyrone Braxton
    Paul hatchett
    Amanda smock
    Amy Anderson
    Laura hermanson
    Carson Wentz
    Trey Lance
    Billy Turner
    Kyle Emanuel
    Payton otterdahl
    Casey morlock
    Ben woodside

…I’m sure there are many others, but again, those names are just off the top of my head. Given this point in his career, the potential for rising in the all time “greatness” category is there. It goes without saying that a guys career could still fizzle too, but his upside is just wow. Just a fun question, I guess, based on my appreciation of getting to witness firsthand his talent in making und look ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post

I'll throw out athleticism as a 3rd category, different than talent and career accomplishments.

Travonn was the best athletically in basketball and it's not close. You can debate talent and career. Grant's upside is incredible, but he needs to develop his outside shot and WIN something against better competition to be in the conversation of NDSU royalty.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    FBS is football.
    Really ?? No way!!!
    No one is going to give us a FBS conference invite unless it’s for all our programs. Basketball needs to catch up because they are dragging us down. Not so much the programs fault but maybe our fans .

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    Really ?? No way!!!
    No one is going to give us a FBS conference invite unless it’s for all our programs. Basketball needs to catch up because they are dragging us down. Not so much the programs fault but maybe our fans .
    Honestly I could see a Football only invite. Maybe less likely, but still possible.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Honestly I could see a Football only invite. Maybe less likely, but still possible.
    So could I, and why the hell not? Bison wrestling seems to be doing just fine all by its lonesome in the Big 12. It's not lonely. Football could be by itself. It wouldn't get lonely either. MBB, WBB, track/cross country, golf, baseball, et al are all where they need to be.... in the Summit league.........and don't tell me if they get into a better conference, magically, they'll get better. Bullshit !! Prove it !!

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    So could I, and why the hell not? Bison wrestling seems to be doing just fine all by its lonesome in the Big 12. It's not lonely. Football could be by itself. It wouldn't get lonely either. MBB, WBB, track/cross country, golf, baseball, et al are all where they need to be.... in the Summit league.........and don't tell me if they get into a better conference, magically, they'll get better. Bullshit !! Prove it !!
    Increased funding would absolutely help the non-football sports. It would be a dream to have those sports in a conference like the AAC or MW. Hell, even the MAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Increased funding would absolutely help the non-football sports. It would be a dream to have those sports in a conference like the AAC or MW. Hell, even the MAC.
    "Increased funding"........from whom?? Where ?? Crimony, NDSU is having budget cuts in all departments, including athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    "Increased funding"........from whom?? Where ?? Crimony, NDSU is having budget cuts in all departments, including athletics.
    To be fair, athletics doesn't really have to cut much of anything, relatively speaking, because they don't rely very heavily on Bismarck