Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Grant Nelson NBA Draft??

Default Re: Grant Nelson NBA Draft??

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Re: Prof Chaos post above… Elite 8 teams… “Every Elite 8 team's starting lineup by where they began playing in College”

https://x.com/ncaabuzzerbters/status...9x2nhINMpOtW8A

Attachment 10501
    Very interesting - if my math is correct that's 18 transfers out of 40 starters or 45%. That's a pretty big number but I wouldn't be surprised if that percentage gets higher if you include every team in the field. Like Indy said this is more commonplace in college basketball than college football and it happens plenty in college football. Just watching random tournaments games it seemed like almost every player they mentioned would include a "transfer from X" blurb.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 04-01-2024 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Very interesting - if my math is correct that's 18 transfers out of 40 starters or 45%. That's a pretty big number but I wouldn't be surprised if that percentage gets higher if you include every team in the field. Like Indy said this is more commonplace in college basketball than college football and it happens plenty in college football. Just watching random tournaments games it seemed like almost every player they mentioned would include a "transfer from X" blurb.
    It's basically the first round of the NBA Draft in the elite 8. I wonder what the cash NIL deals were worth for the transfers?

This is why I will never watch college basketball again. It's all about money. A trained monkey could coach NBA Draft picks. Even Dave could. No skill in developing a program anymore

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It's basically the first round of the NBA Draft in the elite 8. I wonder what the cash NIL deals were worth for the transfers?

This is why I will never watch college basketball again. It's all about money. A trained monkey could coach NBA Draft picks. Even Dave could. No skill in developing a program anymore
    Well you've just described college football as well. The pro talent in college basketball is actually a lot more spread out than it is in football. There's plenty of NBA talent that don't even play college basketball like last year's top pick Victor Wembanyama. It's always been about the money yet there's more parity now in college basketball than there has ever been (although UConn is trying to change that). Like I said earlier if you don't like all the transfers and NIL money feel free to spend your time and money elsewhere - I still find high level college basketball incredibly entertaining... much more entertaining than NBA basketball in fact.

EDIT: Your sig is pretty ironic given your apparent disdain for the money train that college basketball and college football are.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Well you've just described college football as well. The pro talent in college basketball is actually a lot more spread out than it is in football. There's plenty of NBA talent that don't even play college basketball like last year's top pick Victor Wembanyama. It's always been about the money yet there's more parity now in college basketball than there has ever been (although UConn is trying to change that). Like I said earlier if you don't like all the transfers and NIL money feel free to spend your time and money elsewhere - I still find high level college basketball incredibly entertaining... much more entertaining than NBA basketball in fact.

EDIT: Your sig is pretty ironic given your apparent disdain for the money train that college basketball and college football are.
    My sig is from the perspective of a mid major team. We never would have been able to pay Grant Nelson 800k cash. And for football, it's about retaining players by making their life just a little easier. Not making them rich. It also helps a walk on player pay for a scholarship. That's impactful and good natured.

But at least we can say the top FBS teams like Alabama historically got the best players out of High School and developed them. Everyone wanted to go to Alabama because they were the best football program in history and by being a starter, that meant a high draft pick. Now they just make the kids rich without them accomplishing anything

Basketball is a 1 on 1 sport. 1 starter is literally 20% of the team and has more impact. In football you have 22 starters plus special teams. It doesn't matter how good your running back is if the rest of the offense can't block

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok. Take your own advice from the Alson payment thread. I'm sure college basketball will survive without you.

Spare me your idealistic world view

So you're basically quitting when UND and SDSU are upping their game. Not sure what kind of statement that is, other tham I don't want to play with the big boys and I concede.

I'm sure we will survive without you
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok. Take your own advice from the Alson payment thread. I'm sure college basketball will survive without you.
    The difference between me and you is you dont supprt small NDSU because we want to awpard merit based scholarships to walk ons based on academics

I dont want to support the NCAA Tournament because it's a pro league of poached players

Viewership will drop. The whole appeal of it is to see a team like Oral Roberts or Loyola make a deep run. That will be history. They will survive but see declining ratings

That's soon to be gone because the power 5 just poach their best players.

Not entertaining at all

The difference between me and you is you dont supprt small NDSU because we want to award merit based scholarships to walk ons based on academics

I dont want to support the NCAA Tournament because it's a pro leafue

Viewership will drop. The whole appeal of it is to see a tean like Oral Roberts or Loyola make a deep run

That's soon to be gone because the power 5 just poach their best players

Not entertaining at all
    It's ok. College basketball will be fine without you. NDSU will be fine without me.

It's ok. College basketball will be fine without you. NDSU will be fine without me.
    It will in the short term. Tournament had a slight increase in record ratings but they fell off big time after blowouts. That's the future. It's like watching Bama vs Austin Peay in football.

At least the pros have some parity and a salary cap

It will in the short term. Tournament had a slight increase in record ratings but they fell off big time after blowouts. That's the future. It's like watching Bama vs Austin Peay in football.
    I guess I'm just trying to show you that we have very similar viewpoints on things. Your disdain with men's college basketball is basically what my viewpoint is on both genders of college basketball, football, wrestling, and baseball (no opinion on deh college hawkies as I know so little about the sport). It's become so professionalized that it loses viewers/donations --- you for college basketball, me for almost all the sports. That said, I'll probably buy occasional single game tickets for NDSU basketball, football and baseball. If that makes me hypocritical, then so be it.

On the flip side of what you and I think, there is a small possibility that college athletics gains more viewers/attendance as they become more professionalized.

I guess I'm just trying to show you that we have very similar viewpoints on things. Your disdain with men's college basketball is basically what my viewpoint is on both genders of college basketball, football, wrestling, and baseball (no opinion on deh college hawkies as I know so little about the sport). It's become so professionalized that it loses viewers/donations --- you for college basketball, me for almost all the sports. That said, I'll probably buy occasional single game tickets for NDSU basketball, football and baseball. If that makes me hypocritical, then so be it.

On the flip side of what you and I think, there is a small possibility that college athletics gains more viewers/attendance as they become more professionalized.
    We may actually agree a bit but I think the power 4 want to kill the big dance. If the ratings are gone, it can just be a G4 tournament

I dont think the casual fan gives 2 shits about seeing a 13th place Big 10 team take on a 3rd rated Big 12 team. They want to see a no name school make a run. The Cinderella story sells and is fun