Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: We Will not win another NC under Entz. Discuss

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: We Will not win another NC under Entz. Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It's lack of size (specifically height) on the D-line and toughness on the O-line. If Tampa 2 is being run, corners need to be stout tacklers. We dont have a big tough physical middle linebacker. Our sam backers are good in coverage but arent great tacklers. Julian Wlodarczyk has had some good moments at will but he would be way better if he started at will linebacker. But his 6-3 build is kind of gangly for a will linebacker. There you want a guy built like Travis Beck. I know Jabril was 6-3, but his athleticism was on a different level. It's crazy to think for a short time, out starting linebackers were...

WILL - Jabril Cox
    MIKE - Nick DeLuca
    SAM - Chris Board
    This dude SUCKS!!!!! Great hair though!
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    OOOOOORRRRRRR he rode Trey to a championship... 30 carries in the James Maddison game.... 12 passes.... You could see it then....
    2/3 of the NDSU rushing attempts in the 2019 championship game were by Trey Lance. https://gobison.com/sports/football/...boxscore/12159
    It's OK to not be OK.

So are we saying that Entz violated the old adage that "If it aint broke, don't fix it...?" That he's tried a different approach to recruiting to "put his stamp on" things?!

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    So are we saying that Entz violated the old adage that "If it aint broke, don't fix it...?" That he's tried a different approach to recruiting to "put his stamp on" things?!
    Feels like he put his cig out on it
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    One of the big conditioning advantages was that we could rotate players more often since the second stringers were capable of holding their own. Even in the glory years, I can't recall any games where we seemed to make any big adjustments during the game since most of them were beat-downs from the beginning.
    I don't remember Bohl changing anything big about the offense ever. Take the Montana game in 2002 - did we come out passing after doing nothing on offense for the first half and being down 24-2? Nope, NDSU pounded the ball because NDSU's philosophy was to wear teams down. Even after the first drive of the half went nowhere, NDSU stuck with the run. Heck, the first TD drive was almost entirely Steffes running up their gut. Defense is where NDSU has always made the most adjustments at half - but not huge ones there either. Unlike others, I have seen defensive adjustments under Entz, but then dealing with unexpected wrinkles is really the DC's job.

Furthermore, in the last 40 years, I can't remember NDSU ever making big adjustments on offense. The adjustments have always been pretty subtle because, for one thing, it would be insane to try to do unfamiliar things on offense when execution is more than half the battle. Going back to the Montana game... they moved the ball at will against NDSU in the first half (almost 300 yards of offense and 3 TDs and a FG), but they barely got 50 yards in the second half. Some of that was NDSU making some adjustments on defense, some of it was NDSU defensive players making huge plays. Montana might have wanted to go conservative and run the ball in the second half, but NDSU didn't let them because NDSU's defense crushed their running game, forcing them to pass.

If folks want an offense that can come from 3 scores down in the second half, then I think that they are missing some larger issues - like how the hell does a team even get three scores against our defense?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I don't remember Bohl changing anything big about the offense. Take the Montana game in 2002 - did we come out passing after doing nothing on offense for the first half and being down 24-2? Nope, NDSU pounded the ball because NDSU's philosophy was to wear teams down. Even after the first drive of the half went nowhere, NDSU stuck with the run and the first TD drive was almost entirely Steffes running up their gut. Defense is where NDSU has always made the most adjustments at half - but not huge ones there either. Unlike others, I have seen defensive adjustments under Entz, but dealing with unexpected wrinkles is really the DC's job.

In the last 40 years, I can't remember NDSU ever making big adjustments on offense. The adjustments have always been pretty subtle because, for one thing, it would be insane to try to do unfamiliar things on offense when execution is more than half the battle. Going back to the Montana game... they moved the ball at will against NDSU in the first half (almost 300 yards of offense and 3 TDs and a FG), but they barely got 50 yards in the second half. Some of that was NDSU making some adjustments on defense, some of it was NDSU defensive players making huge plays. Montana might have wanted to go conservative and run the ball in the second half, but NDSU didn't let them because NDSU's defense crushed their running game, forcing them to pass.
    In a nutshell: focus on making a team be one-dimensional, preferably what they are the poorest at doing.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    In a nutshell: focus on making a team be one-dimensional, preferably what they are the poorest at doing.
    Heck, and if you're behind and can't stop the run? Well, you are boned. I mean, Montana had a fantastic passing game, but once they were forced to abandon the run and pass, NDSU's defense started pouncing. When behind, forcing the other team to pass is way better than going pass happy yourself, imo, because it stops the clock more often and is much more likely to create turnovers.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    2/3 of the NDSU rushing attempts in the 2019 championship game were by Trey Lance. https://gobison.com/sports/football/...boxscore/12159
    The presence of Trey covered a lot of sins. Now those sins are being exposed due to players not called "Trey."

I was checking out SDSUs roster

Defensive Tackle size

6-4, 295
    6-6, 285
    6-3, 265 (freshman)
    6-1, 285
    6-3, 280
    6-3, 270
    6-1, 280
    6-5, 285
    6-4, 285

Defensive Ends

Everyone is 6-3 minimum except a few shortet quick guys for 3rd and long but most are 250 to 260

Linebackers are mostly 6-0 to 6-1 but they even have a few 5-11 guys. Quick unit playing behind a big line

When we were dominant, we were 6-3 to 6-5 at DE around 250 pounds and the players were super athletic

This year we got

Kava - 6-1, 247. He's physically stout but too short

Hendricks - 6-3, 245. Big enough and athletic, but it's a relatively new position for a guy who started at linebacker

Loshiaka Roques - 6-3, 232. Quick guy who probably will never get to 250. Good nickel pass rusher but can get pushed around

Victor Isele (freshman) 6-2, 237. Quick guy who could be really stout at 250

Matt Weerts - 6-1, 239. Kind of short like Kava but lighter and a new position. Could help us in a limited role if he can get to 250+

Kelton McCaslin - 6-5, 235. Once he gets to 250, he-'s prototypical Bison DE size. He's a bit light now but height and length can overcome weight

Toby Anene - 6-3, 250. Physically he looks like out best player.

Abraham Myers - 6-2, 230. Freshman who could be good if he hits 250

Gannon Williams - 6-3, 234. Redshirt freshman, one he approaches 250 he could play

Hunter Zenzen - 6-2, 244

D Tackles

Kody Huisman - 6-4, 285. He played way too early last year due to Eli's injury but he has a high ceiling and looks the part

Eli Mostaert - 6-3, 287. Was once great but he has fallen off the map. Is he hurt?

Will Mostaert -- 6-2, 270. Started at DE so he is behind on weight compared to Eli.

Javier Derritt - 6-2, 280. Although he was 6-1 last year. I call BS on height

Jaxon Duttenhefer - 6-2, 282. Although she was 6-1 last year. I call BS again

Keenan Wilson - 6-1, 289. Freshman. Shorter but if he can get to 300, could be a player

Brennan Palmer - 6-5, 272 freshman. Big dude and a true freshman. He was a DE in high school. Awesome frame. This is how you develop players

Josh Magin - 6-5, 272. That's a big dude and he's only a redshirt freshman. Get him up to 300 and pair him with Palmer and we got 2 Power 5 sized DTs

Logan Larson - 6-3, 272. Kid looks quick and had one of the few sacks from the D-line this year

We also got some really good recruits in the upcoming recruiting class

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    OOOOOORRRRRRR he rode Trey to a championship... 30 carries in the James Maddison game.... 12 passes.... You could see it then....
    This. I remember loving the win, but thinking that offensive plan was not sustainable. Luckily, we still had some studs on defense then.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013