Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 38-20 with 13:44 left in game

Default Re: 38-20 with 13:44 left in game

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    when they took 8 mins off the clock down 30 while running the ball most the of the drive they were just trying to make the score respectable by keeping the ball out of SDSU's hands.
    0% chance entz could even think that far ahead. He doesn’t know what he’s doing

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Yeah, it was a complete white flag. After all the swinging gate crap over the years - when we actually need a 2pt conversion we don't even try anything. Maybe he knew Roehl would just run QB draw that would get stuffed and wanted to save us all from the shame.

Luckily for me, I gave up at halftime. We weren't coming back
    Am I misremembering the two-point conversion against UIW because I don't think it was a QB draw?

The only thing more baffling than Entz decision to kick the PAT, was that the NDSU sideline was littered with coaches who weren't running up to him asking him before the kick wtf he was doing.

A 2 possession game with 11 minutes left would have been monumental considering how the game had gone after that. Who knows what kind of life the players would have had to see they still had a glimmer of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    ... still had a glimmer of hope.
    ... which was doused the minute foot kicked ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Did Entz have to answer about the lack of the 2 point try on Sunday? Did anyone ask him about the lack of any urgency of offense getting up to the line when down by so many points? Just coaching 101 and Entz and Roehl seem to get worse.
    His answer he'd just point to basically a full quarter left to play

RonMexico is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And I would bet every one of the players on the field was thinking to themselves "What the hell is coach doing?" How can you not start to wonder if your coach knows what the hell he's doing after a decision like that.

It reminded me of Brad Childress and his first year with the Vikes when against the Titans, down two scores with two minutes left in the game and no timeouts left, on 4th down, deep in their own territory, he punted the ball back to Tennnessee, who then proceeded to victory formation to take 3 knees and run out the clock. After the game when asked why he punted, the astonishing answer he gave was "Based on the way we were playing defense, I thought we could get it back." He thought they could force a turnover from victory formation. How he wasn't fired right then and there I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    And I would bet every one of the players on the field was thinking to themselves "What the hell is coach doing?" How can you not start to wonder if your coach knows what the hell he's doing after a decision like that.
    Remember we also punted with 2:55 left and 2 timeouts in the Arizona game. The defense wasnt playing great and 4th and 8 is at least manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    ... which was doused the minute foot kicked ball.
    Under-rated smack…. If intentional

Quote Originally Posted by The River View Post
    Under-rated smack…. If intentional
    A little truth, a little smack.

After the 38-20 TD I was in "there's 11 minute left, they get two here they'll get at least two possessions" scenario-running and figuring what SDSU would do to slow the game down and eat clock because I've come to expect those NDSU miracles. And then "foot kicked ball" and you could see it (feel it?) in the crowd.

Did NDSU look at the wrong scenario card?

After a TD:
    - down 18 you go for two
    - up 18 ... you kick.

That call is only exceeded by Bubba's 4th down call v NDSU two seasons ago for its "what are you doing" factor.