Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 38-20 with 13:44 left in game

Default Re: 38-20 with 13:44 left in game

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    …and Entz kicks the PAT. One of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen from a game of this magnitude. Could have been a 2 possession game when NDSU got the ball back with around 11 min left.
    Coach Schweigert would like his "Coaching Decisions for Dummies" book back by the start of fall camp if its not going to get read. (Not like he's read it either.)

We go to the post-game presser and Entz's answer to the question ...

I had no dog in the fight, but going for one and leaving it a three score game was a white-flag move (and yes I've seen a lot of those).

How are people surprised by this? It's happened before. I don't remember the game, but it was an obvious wrong decision at the time. When asked in the presser, Entz doubled down with an answer that made people's heads explode. Maybe someone can remember the specific game.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was still holding out a glimmer of hope for the team to show some life and make a comeback at this point. In our row, we were discussing what two point play they were going to run to cut it to a two possession game. Then someone pointed out that the field goal unit was on the field. I was thinking to myself "That's a weird time to run a fake extra point when it is so obvious". After the kick went through, I was in complete disbelief. It was either a complete "waiving the white flag" moment or Entz literally can't do math and needs to be removed from his role as managing the games. Neither are acceptable in my mind. I walked out of the stadium right after that, I simply could not believe a coach could be so dumb in a championship game. Stig and his staff have completely outclassed Entz and NDSU since he has taken over.

I could go into the horrible/un-balanced play calling all year from Roehl, or that Braun obviously did little prep work for SDSU's offense the past three weeks as he was likely eyeing the Big Ten job he was about to take (45 points allowed?! Most points allowed since 2009). But for the head coach of our university to not understand simple game management, that people who had been tailgating for 6 hours prior can easily see, is mind blowing to me. Completely indefensible performance by Entz and his staff on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    I was still holding out a glimmer of hope for the team to show some life and make a comeback at this point. In our row, we were discussing what two point play they were going to run to cut it to a two possession game. Then someone pointed out that the field goal unit was on the field. I was thinking to myself "That's a weird time to run a fake extra point when it is so obvious". After the kick went through, I was in complete disbelief. It was either a complete "waiving the white flag" moment or Entz literally can't do math and needs to be removed from his role as managing the games. Neither are acceptable in my mind. I walked out of the stadium right after that, I simply could not believe a coach could be so dumb in a championship game. Stig and his staff have completely outclassed Entz and NDSU since he has taken over.

I could go into the horrible/un-balanced play calling all year from Roehl, or that Braun obviously did little prep work for SDSU's offense the past three weeks as he was likely eyeing the Big Ten job he was about to take (45 points allowed?! Most points allowed since 2009). But for the head coach of our university to not understand simple game management, that people who had been tailgating for 6 hours prior can easily see, is mind blowing to me. Completely indefensible performance by Entz and his staff on Sunday.
    Yeah, it was a complete white flag. After all the swinging gate crap over the years - when we actually need a 2pt conversion we don't even try anything. Maybe he knew Roehl would just run QB draw that would get stuffed and wanted to save us all from the shame.

Luckily for me, I gave up at halftime. We weren't coming back
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Myself and everyone around me in the stadium at the time was dumbfounded as well. My guess is he was already in deer-in-the-headlights mode... as shellshocked as his team was. I'm nowhere near the fire Entz bandwagon but this really underscores his deficiencies in coaching from behind because he's had the luxury of rarely having to do it. He needs to be better there - your team isn't going to believe they can come back if the head coach doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    How are people surprised by this? It's happened before. I don't remember the game, but it was an obvious wrong decision at the time. When asked in the presser, Entz doubled down with an answer that made people's heads explode. Maybe someone can remember the specific game.
    SDSU in 2019 maybe? I know he took some heat for going for 2 after they scored to go up 16-6 midway through the 3rd quarter instead of taking the XP and forcing them to convert on a 2-pt to tie it in 2 possessions with a FG and a TD.

My only wish now is that both Entz and Roehl would leave, but nobody's wants them and Stoney Brook ML will never fire them, so we are screwed until they run the program into the ground like Dave Richman is doing to mens basketball.

Did Entz have to answer about the lack of the 2 point try on Sunday? Did anyone ask him about the lack of any urgency of offense getting up to the line when down by so many points? Just coaching 101 and Entz and Roehl seem to get worse.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    It was a very terrible decision no excuse as our watch party was all dumb founded. Almost like he he had thrown the white flag and didn’t care to try and win.
    when they took 8 mins off the clock down 30 while running the ball most the of the drive they were just trying to make the score respectable by keeping the ball out of SDSU's hands.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.