Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. SDSU (FCS National Championship)

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. SDSU (FCS National Championship)

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Yep. I noticed that too. He mentioned that a few times. With TR as OC I will believe when I see it. TR still reminds me of Polasek.

Dewey
    Until we find a capable possession wide out that can keep the defense honest and get open when we need 7-8 yards we're going to continue to see QB run and underneath crossing routes that are 5 yards short of the sticks. I believe in the coach's mind we have just as good of a chance of completing an 8 yard pass for a first down as we do running QB power...or read option for that matter.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    Until we find a capable possession wide out that can keep the defense honest and get open when we need 7-8 yards we're going to continue to see QB run and underneath crossing routes that are 5 yards short of the sticks. I believe in the coach's mind we have just as good of a chance of completing an 8 yard pass for a first down as we do running QB power...or read option for that matter.
    I wouldn't be so quick to put that on the WRs

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I think we all found out we were underusing Mathis this season - he just needed a chance and he seemed to get better as the game went on. Maybe, just maybe, if we give our 6'6" WR a chance, he will come down with it.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    I think we all found out we were underusing Mathis this season - he just needed a chance and he seemed to get better as the game went on. Maybe, just maybe, if we give our 6'6" WR a chance, he will come down with it.
    Yep and Eli Green consistently showed he could get open. Wide open during the second half of the season.

to say we don't have a WR that can get past the sticks and catch the ball is a little shortsighted given the play calling that we have experienced the last couple years.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If Mathis can get a little faster, he’d get drafted after next season. Doesn’t need to run a 4.3 like Watson but with his size at 6’6” and the possibility of getting to 210lbs? He’d go late day 2 but probably early day 3. After watching the last game and him putting up the number and showing the ability that he has it proves he’s underutilized. Green in solid and has what appears to be the tools to be a stud. Raja to me is what Phoenix should have been. Seems a bit more consistent and has the ability to get open. We have young guys galore so the coaches had better not take that for granted.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Yeah, Cam needs to get better at utilizing the middle of the field. Staring down 1st-read out routes won't get it done.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Yeah, Cam needs to get better at utilizing the middle of the field. Staring down 1st-read out routes won't get it done.
    I will say I saw WAY too much of this from Cam this season and into the playoffs.

Cam is slower and more methodical than the next level QB. He has shown many great attributes, but recognizing routes fast or running plays fast are not his specialties.

For me, it boils down to making offense look easy. It doesn't matter if it's the run game or passing. The Jacks made our defense look like 11 clowns wearing giant shoes, ruffles and red noses. So many teams are able to make defenses look silly, and yet it feels like we make things way too difficult.

I'm not saying I want an air-raid offense. Our run game, with strategic passes, used to obliterate and demoralize a defense using physicality AND strategy. I miss that. I can't help but remember some of the historic drives we've engineered over the years. They included great play calling (run and pass) to keep the defense off balance. Go back and watch 'The Drive' against K-State. We attacked the middle of the field with TEs, RBs and WRs. It's depressing how far our playbook has shrunk. I'm not even bringing up the defense and how we dominated the line of scrimmage.

NDSU vs. Kansas State Highlight Montage - YouTube

I'm not the best or brightest in my profession, but I'm smart enough to steal some ideas from people more successful than me. Feels like we need to eat some humble pie and watch some recent Jack's film, or past Bison film, to get back to our roots on offense AND defense.

#rantover
    Last edited by KSBisonFan; 01-11-2023 at 11:41 PM.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    For me, it boils down to making offense look easy. It doesn't matter if it's the run game or passing. The Jacks made our defense look like 11 clowns wearing giant shoes, ruffles and red noses. So many teams are able to make a defense look silly, and yet it feels like we make things way too difficult.

I'm not saying I want an air-raid offense. Our run game, with strategic passes, used to obliterate and demoralize a defense using physicality AND strategy. I miss that. I can't help but remember some of the historic drives we've engineered over the years. They included great play calling (run and pass) to keep the defense off balance. Go back and watch 'The Drive' against K-State.

I'm not the best or brightest in my profession, but I'm smart enough to steal some ideas from people more successful than me. Feels like we need to eat some humble pie and watch some Jack's film to get back to our roots on offense AND defense.

#rantover
    Pretty much parrots my thoughts that I’ve otherwise shared here.

And lest we forget, Trey Lance had about a 100 yards rushing in his last Natty that resulted from tuck and runs on pass plays (no one open) as opposed to brilliantly-timed QB run calls. I think one went for 50+ yards.

So, back to the complimentary pass game for me.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.