Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 A.M. Bar Closing

insane_ponderer Guest

Default 2 A.M. Bar Closing

Senate rejects 2 a.m. bar close
    By Mary Jo Almquist and Janell Cole, The Forum
    Published Thursday, March 17, 2005

BISMARCK -Rejecting appeals to help Fargos bars compete with Moorheads, the Senate Wednesday narrowly killed the bill that would have allowed North Dakota bars to stay open until 2 a.m.

"Grandma was right. Nothing good ever happens after midnight," said Sen. Ralph Kilzer, R-Bismarck, a retired physician. Other opponents scoffed at bill supporters contentions that it would allow people to drink later, not necessarily more.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...86155§ion=news

insane_ponderer Guest

Default Re: 2 A.M. Bar Closing

I am sure this has been talked about before, but I am curious to see what everyone thinks about it now.

In the hardcopy version of the forum it gave a list of who voted how and I am going to make some phone calls, but it also stated that most of the no votes came from the western side of the state. No offense to people currently living in the west (i grew up just north of bismarck) but what the hell...

Just wanted to hear some ideas and gain some perspective.

I think that the 2 a.m. bar closing needs to be done. The opponents saying that there will be more drunk driving is just stupid, especially in Fargo where there is maybe more driving right now with people driving over to Moorhead for that last hour. That being said, I live in Chicago and all bars stay open until 2, while some stay open until 4 or 5. When 2 rolls around I am usually ready to go home, but when I was in GF or Fargo and the bar was closing at 1 I usually still wanted to stay out for a while. I do not think that the bars need to stay open until 4 or 5 but the extra hour is very nice!

greenandgold01 Guest

The should use Fargo to test out the increased drunk driver theory.

Have the Fargo bars stay open until 2am for a few months and see if there really is an increase.

Since the bar closing time was changed to 2am in the twin cities, I have noticed that the traffic heading home after the bars is distributed over a wider time than when the bars closed at 1am.

When the bars closed at 1am, most people were hitting the road home at the same time. Now it seems quite a few people leave the bar from 1:30 on so it has a tendency to distribute traffic more evenly. IMO, this makes it a little safer to drive home.

533 In a row

insane_ponderer Guest

well everyone that goes out to the bars has realized what effect the moorhead time change has had.
    Someone should park a cop car on the moorhead bridges and watch the traffic increase at about 12:30. The drunk driving theory of theirs is awefully hypocritical and it just proves that that alot of our senators have no idea whats going on with this issue.

JBB Guest

I dont think understanding the issue is critical. The only thing you have to remember is this: you arent going to lose any votes by restricting alcohol consumption, which is the perception of a no vote on this issue.

insane_ponderer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JBB
    I dont think understanding the issue is critical. *The only thing you have to remember is this: *you arent going to lose any votes by restricting alcohol consumption, which is the perception of a no vote on this issue.

well thats very true, but this bill wasn't about making it mandatory, all those senators who voted it down can make sure that 2 AM doesn't go into effect in their areas. *This was about making it a level playing field between fargo and moorhead businesses and especially with all the money invested to a now disadvantaged downtown renovation project.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    Since the bar closing time was changed to 2am in the twin cities, I have noticed that the traffic heading home after the bars is distributed over a wider time than when the bars closed at 1am.

When the bars closed at 1am, most people were hitting the road home at the same time. *Now it seems quite a few people leave the bar from 1:30 on so it has a tendency to distribute traffic more evenly. *IMO, this makes it a little safer to drive home.
    Safer to drive home??? I hope you mean safer for sober people right?

What Blue Laws are still in effect in N.D.?

I remember as a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's that everything was closed on Sundays, grocery stores, gas stations, everything. It sucked. :'(