Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657

Thread: 2022-2023 Season

Default Re: 2022-2023 Season

Legitimately my favorite day of the year. First day of both the NCAA wrestling and Basketball tournaments.

Today is an absolutely massive day for the fellas in their quest to become All Americans. You don't AA on day one, but you can put yourself in position to AA the following day. Making the quarterfinals is huge in terms of AAing. If you make it there, you have 2 chances to win a match to AA, if you don't make the quarterfinals, your back is against the wall and you have to win multiple matches to gain AA status all while facing your season end with a loss.

Today will be massive for Caliendo. Kharchala is great and a returning All American, but if Mikey can win that 2nd round match and make the quarterfinals, I think he'll AA. Losing to Kharchala forces him to likely beat the 4 or 5 seed to AA, which is much tougher than winning in the quarters.

Franek has a great path to the quarterfinals and just needs to take care of business.

Pentz has a tough first round match against a great Greco wrestler, who may well be the US representative at 97kg in the 2024 Olympics. Owen is so successful because he can get to his ties, and that's generally a lot tougher to do against greco guys, as that is 90% of what greco is. Winning that first match will be big, because I don't like his path on the consolation side with a 1st round loss. If he can beat Amos, I like him to make the round of 16. First round match is a true coin flip to me. Owen is always dangerous and if he beats Amos, let's see what he can do vs Nino.

March needs to win right away. He's probably a little more than a coin flip favorite in his opener, but it'll be crucial to get a win. I think their is a path to AA for March, but it'll take a first round win and some great wrestling and aggressiveness on the consolation side. As is, I think he's a round of 16 guy.

Midkiff has a great shot to win his first match, which would be awesome. He's beaten Oakley once before and I like him to do it again. After that, he's got multiple chances to win in the consolation bracket. I expect him to have Brayden Palmer, and that's winnable. After that, it's Biscoglia or Shaner, which is winnable too. He's playing with house money and I hope he goes out there and wins a couple matches.

DJ got screwed on his seed and it makes for a very tough path. If he loses to Munoz, and going strictly by seeds, he'd have Antrassian (I think he wins), Feldkamp (winnable), then Kane (very good, but does have inexplicable cold matches at times), and then would have Finesilver/Salazar to AA. Odds of him stringing a bunch of wins together are slim, but it isn't an undoable task. Hoping he goes out there, is aggressive from neutral, like he has been the whole 2nd half of the year, gets to his tilts, and racks up the points.

Also, for anyone who wants to watch, all matches can be streamed on ESPN+ with ESPNU carrying some matches live in the first session. ESPN+ will be the way to go if you're just interested in the bison guys and a few others.

Sounds like Peyton Robb, Franek's opponent in the consolation semifinals, was unknowingly dealing with a potentially fatal infection, has been in the hospital since NCAAs, and has had many surgeries. Scary stuff

https://www.givesendgo.com/GA28Z?utm_source=twitter

Are there many guys with Bison connections in the US Open this week? I think the only one I noticed so far was Tirso Lara, but I haven't looked too hard.

Josh Rodriguez was seeded at 61kg and Metz was registered

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quite a few guys with NDSU or ND ties registered. If you’re a twitterer @ndwrestle is a a pretty good follow and he had a Rokfin article on the guys registered. Metz, Bents, Drexler were a few names I remember off the top of my head.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Quite a few guys with NDSU or ND ties registered. If you’re a twitterer @ndwrestle is a a pretty good follow and he had a Rokfin article on the guys registered. Metz, Bents, Drexler were a few names I remember off the top of my head.
    Mikey Caliendo was named to the AWN All Rookie team as the top 165 ponder. Congrats !!!!!!!

Believe me when this popped up on my feed I thought it was something else. So glad this is what it was.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Obe it is!!