Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Montana Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Montana Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I had to go find the play again because at first glance, I was focused on what Waege did and didn't notice anything of concern by the Griz player. I would love to see how Waege ends up on the ground in the first place. If 55 is the one who knocked him down, then the contact is questionable by 55. What I see is 55 is pursuing the runner, and an opponent is suddenly in front of him. The opponent rolls over, and 55 braces himself for the unexpected contact. But the sideline view shows 55's looking at the runner and suddenly notices there is a player on the ground in front of him.

This should not have been a foul on Waege either. He's not initiating a block. He's just in the way. The hold was correct, though, as you see the blocker is beat to the outside, but the restriction keeps him from turning. Pretty easy call.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Idk about the hold... that was super ticky tack compared to what they were letting go the whole game. There were numerous instances of Bison DEs basically getting tackled on speed rushes but if want to say holding is called tighter in space they completely ignored this one (#80 - bottom of the screen - at 50:30:00): https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...8-5c38d2cee253

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Idk about the hold... that was super ticky tack compared to what they were letting go the whole game. There were numerous instances of Bison DEs basically getting tackled on speed rushes but if want to say holding is called tighter in space they completely ignored this one (#80 - bottom of the screen - at 50:30:00): https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...8-5c38d2cee253
    Potential hold, but that kind of block is usually legal. You get leverage from the side and push the blocker (who takes an inside attack) by the runner. It's also common action by tackles on DE that people complain are holds but are just leverage. You use the defender's speed to push them beyond the play, and they may end up on the ground, but it's not a restriction. You need to look for a twist or unusual action by the defender.

The other difference in these two plays is the defender is running the same direction as the runner and trying to turn away but can't in the hold. In this play, the defender is moving toward the runner, and the blocker essentially seals the outside run by pushing the defender by the block.

That's the kind of thing the officials study over and over and recognize in order to be as consistent as possible. They are subtle differences that we recognize, but fans often see as the same action even though it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    I guess you said it better than I did. Yes, a great win but I was thinking we would have done better against them. I live in the area and know the MT big scare teams fairly well and I would have guessed a blow out at half. They hung around way to long.
    I blame the slow start on the GDT not being posted right at midnight.

Purple? You tell me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Montana was clearly overmatched and resorted to chippy play to try to bait NDSU into an even playing field. While the Bison on the field maintained their blue collar let our actions between the sidelines do the talking, I was disappointed by the hand gestures being directed toward Montana by certain players on the NDSU sideline. Don't bite the bite and sink to a lower level. That is not what championship character is built upon.

up 14-0 & we let them back in was disappointing
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    up 14-0 & we let them back in was disappointing
    Thats football. We scored 49 points and gave up a garbage td with backups in at the end.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Does anyone know how Waege is? Did we come away healthy from that game?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I had to go find the play again because at first glance, I was focused on what Waege did and didn't notice anything of concern by the Griz player. I would love to see how Waege ends up on the ground in the first place. If 55 is the one who knocked him down, then the contact is questionable by 55. What I see is 55 is pursuing the runner, and an opponent is suddenly in front of him. The opponent rolls over, and 55 braces himself for the unexpected contact. But the sideline view shows 55's looking at the runner and suddenly notices there is a player on the ground in front of him.

This should not have been a foul on Waege either. He's not initiating a block. He's just in the way. The hold was correct, though, as you see the blocker is beat to the outside, but the restriction keeps him from turning. Pretty easy call.

Yeah. Not what happened. No "bracing for unexpected contact". That POS saw an opportunity to put a cheap hit on Waege and lowered his head into him while he was doubled over on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Does anyone know how Waege is? Did we come away healthy from that game?
    He's ok from all accounts. Activate on sidelines and after game. Good reports from family.

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    I blame the slow start on the GDT not being posted right at midnight.

Purple? You tell me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    I was seriously sweating that until we were up by 20.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes