Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Montana Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Montana Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I had to go find the play again because at first glance, I was focused on what Waege did and didn't notice anything of concern by the Griz player. I would love to see how Waege ends up on the ground in the first place. If 55 is the one who knocked him down, then the contact is questionable by 55. What I see is 55 is pursuing the runner, and an opponent is suddenly in front of him. The opponent rolls over, and 55 braces himself for the unexpected contact. But the sideline view shows 55's looking at the runner and suddenly notices there is a player on the ground in front of him.

This should not have been a foul on Waege either. He's not initiating a block. He's just in the way. The hold was correct, though, as you see the blocker is beat to the outside, but the restriction keeps him from turning. Pretty easy call.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Totally wrong on this one. Waege was knocked down by another Montana player and when he is on the ground 55 sees him and purposely targets him while on the ground. They should the replay 5-6 times in the dome and it was blatant. You can see 55 look down, see Wage and then lower his shoulder and head into him. https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...8-5c38d2cee253 right around 2:28:30 and again at 2:30:20

How did Hauck not get ejected for targeting on the play he got his 15 yard late hit penalty?

Forcible blow to the head on a hit out of bounds? Is it just because he’s the coach’s kid or what? I’ve seen 4 or 5 targeting calls these playoffs that were nothing compared to that.

That kid is such a bitch. Was glad to see him get manhandled on the next play for Kobe’s last touchdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    How did Hauck not get ejected for targeting on the play he got his 15 yard late hit penalty?

Forcible blow to the head on a hit out of bounds? Is it just because he’s the coach’s kid or what? I’ve seen 4 or 5 targeting calls these playoffs that were nothing compared to that.

That kid is such a bitch. Was glad to see him get manhandled on the next play for Kobe’s last touchdown.
    I believe Kobe Johnson wasn't considered "defenseless" there so the only way targeting can be called is if the defender leads with the crown of the helmet (doesn't necessarily need to be to the head of the ball carrier either).

I don't think Hauck was called for the penalty on that play. He should have been. I think the announcers said the penalty was on a different Griz player (maybe #4?). Who knows. The refs were not great and the announcers weren't either.

Edit: I went back and looked at the play-by-play and the personal foul penalty was called on Garrett Graves. No penalty on Hauck.

Johnson,Kobe rush left for 3 yards loss to the NDSU12 (Graves,Garrett; Flink,Tyler), out of bounds PENALTY MONT Personal Foul (Graves,Garrett) 15 yards from NDSU12 to NDSU27, 1ST DOWN.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I believe Kobe Johnson wasn't considered "defenseless" there so the only way targeting can be called is if the defender leads with the crown of the helmet (doesn't necessarily need to be to the head of the ball carrier either).
    If a QB in the middle of a slide isn't considered defenseless, they sure as hell ought to be. How exactly can the QB do anything at that point to defend themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    You don’t need to be defenseless to get targeting. A New Hampshire player got ejected for it for hitting a runner 15 yards downfield in the open yesterday.

Southern Illinois player got targeting in the middle of a kick return against us.

How is launching yourself at the head of a player who is both a) wrapped up and b) out of bounds after the play not targeting?

Edit: reread your post. Probably not going to rewatch but it was head first launching into Kobe’s head lol. Seems like a weird place to draw the line and call it a safe play.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

You don’t need to be defenseless to get targeting. A New Hampshire player got ejected for it for hitting a runner 15 yards downfield in the open yesterday.

Southern Illinois player got targeting in the middle of a kick return against us.

How is launching yourself at the head of a player who is both a) wrapped up and b) out of bounds after the play not targeting?

Edit: reread your post. Probably not going to rewatch but it was head first launching into Kobe’s head lol. Seems like a weird place to draw the line and call it a safe play.
    Read the text of the rule (it's in this article but I'm sure the official rulebook link is out there somewhere as well). There are two types of targeting; "Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet" and "Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player". The forcible contact to the head and neck is only part of the rule when a defenseless opponent is involved. The same article lists the description of a defenseless opponent as well:
    Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:

• A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass
    • A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier
    • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return
    • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier
    • A player on the ground
    • A player obviously out of the play
    • A player who receives a blind-side block
    • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped
    • A quarterback any time after a change of possession
    • A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet first
    The "ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped" could've applied there I guess but I'd also guess the officials didn't see it that way so targeting was ruled out.

Reading through it I think you could legitimately make the argument that #55 should've been ejected for targeting for his cheap shot against Spencer Waege yesterday. Waege was on the ground and clearly out of the play.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I'd say more like Cam needs to be better. The WR's were fine if you ask me but his throws were not very good. Needs to stop staring guys down too.
    He’s far from perfect and not the greatest thrower. Did win a national championship I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk