Page 72 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It is but 90% are publically owned universities. It seems odd to make public colleges a pro league, where players make more than professors. I might feel differenty if everything was privately funded, like a club team. That means not a penny of state money and the club pays rent to the university. The way it's going goes against the spirit of amatuer college athletics. Before NIL it was tolerable but this is madness. Transfer portal is worse than NFL Free Agency. The star players you build a brand around are gone every 2 years. At least the NFL they sign 4-5 year contacts. Whsts next? College holdouts? Unions? A minimum salary?

Likely yes, especially at the FBS level. The P5 have mega bucks and are driving this.
    There's already been a lot of talk of collective bargaining agreements.

Top College QB's are going for around $8-10 million and up. The money the P5 can tap into is just insane. It's already becoming semi-pro now and some of these guys may earn more in college than some of the NFL guys do.

At the G5 level the poaching is even worse. Anyone with a hint of talent is snapped up by the P5 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Boomers aren’t funding this country anymore than any other generation. Every generation plays their role and their roles change at different stages of life. I am going to fight tooth and nail to avoid becoming a grumpy curmudgeon fearful of any changes brought by the younger generations.
    How is the fight going so far?
    Don't believe everything you think.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    How is the fight going so far?
    Well I haven’t watched cable news in over 5 years, just bought a pair of skinny jeans and haven’t complained about my son’s music choices in at least two weeks. So pretty good, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Exactly my point. It’s your money and it’s peanuts. We’d all have 10x more if we’d been allowed to keep it. But hey boom away smarty
    My money for sure. Not peanuts though.

Well I haven’t watched cable news in over 5 years, just bought a pair of skinny jeans and haven’t complained about my son’s music choices in at least two weeks. So pretty good, I think.
    What are you going to do with the skinny jeans?

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What are you going to do with the skinny jeans?
    Not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Likely yes, especially at the FBS level. The P5 have mega bucks and are driving this.

Top College QB's are going for around $8-10 million and up. The money the P5 can tap into is just insane. It's already becoming semi-pro now and some of these guys may earn more in college than some of the NFL guys do.

At the G5 level the poaching is even worse. Anyone with a hint of talent is snapped up by the P5 schools.
    One bad assumption you make is the demand to watch college football will stay the same or increase. I believe a significant percentage of alumni and fans will stop watching and donating. Why watch semi pro ball when you can watch the pros? What connection to the university do these roaming free agents have? Why should I give money as a booster to teams that indirectly pay their players? Do NFL fans send money directly to the owners of the teams they love? College football is going to crash in popularity unless some strict rules are established for the portal and NIL. Check back in a few years because the young kids don't understand the money has to come from somewhere and it's going to soon be much less.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

But with 20+ more scholarships they are probably better positioned to cope
    And the TP goes both ways. Talented guys who don’t get to start at G5 or P5 schools will just move to different ones, but there’s only so many chairs at the end of the day
    Very happy now to see so many local kids in this last recruiting class. Maybe the program has been more heads up about this than us fans …
    NDSU has already brought a few guys in through the portal and I expect more

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My money for sure. Not peanuts though.
    It’s worth $9.61 per hour to
    The avg person soooooooo
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Boomers aren’t funding this country anymore than any other generation. Every generation plays their role and their roles change at different stages of life. I am going to fight tooth and nail to avoid becoming a grumpy curmudgeon fearful of any changes brought by the younger generations.
    45% of the country pays zero income tax. Millennials are the least wealthy generation. Boomers on avg are worth 10x more. Crabby or not
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.