Page 13 of 175 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by BisonHorns View Post
    I think the paragraph about sitting down with Entz and Larson is ignorant talk. Anyone that thinks this is an NDSU specific problem is unaware of the realities of college football and the transfer portal.
    Not sure how it is ignorant....wouldn't the AD want to try and gather some inside information as to the reasoning as to why some of these underclassmen, who are playing meaningful snaps, are leaving mid-year? Is it a culture thing, are there conflicts in coaching philosophies and how these players feel they should be utilized, are there personal issues in which some of these kids just want to be closer to home, etc.

I never once said that it is an issue that falls solely on NDSU....I am well aware of the current state of the FCS/FBS in players entering the transfer portal for whatever reason; however, my point was the kids deciding to leave aren't 3rd, 4th, 5th string guys who are buried on the depth chart (Sproles, Hart, Sigle to be specific)...they are either starting or playing extensive minutes for the team.

This is a MUST LISTEN 01:21:32 of today's show (11/21)

https://www.bison1660.com/on-air/

Interview from last week for the pregame show. Sigle saying football at NDSU was harder than he expected.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Oh, I love it when people post links they didn't even read that completely refutes their own view. Prepare to be destroyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    The ACLU believes in an uncensored Internet, a vast free-speech zone deserving at least as much First Amendment protection as that afforded to traditional media such as books, newspapers, and magazines.
    Opinion of a private organization. No legal standing. Reno vs. ACLU said the gov't can't restrict access to info but says absolutely nothing about private companies. The ACLU was trying to legalize sending minors nude pictures. Think about that.

The public seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding about the true extent of “freedom of speech” under the First Amendment.....Lawsuits alleging free speech violations against social media companies are routinely dismissed. The primary grounds for these dismissals are that social media companies are not state actors and their platforms are not public forums, and therefore they are not subject to the free speech protections of the First Amendment.....The overarching principle of free speech under the First Amendment is that its reach is limited to protections against restrictions on speech made by the government.....First Amendment restrictions traditionally do not extend to private parties, such as individuals or private companies.3 In other words, a private person or private company (such as a social media company) cannot violate your constitutional free speech rights, only the government can do so.....Social media platforms are often characterized as a digital public square. Yet, courts have repeatedly refused arguments that social media platforms are public forums subject to the First Amendment.....if a social media company chooses to remove content from its platform in accordance with its designated policies, that removal does not raise a First Amendment issue and there is no civil liability as a result of Sec. 230 of the CDA....It is important to emphasize that the First Amendment “does not guarantee the right to communicate one’s views at all times and places or in any manner that may be desired.”

Just a theory I have as a random fan:

I think another aspect affecting these transfers might be the emotional ROI, or lack thereof, based on the physical toll of playing football at NDSU. I think it was on the Benchwarmers podcast where they were said that nobody is more invested in keeping the championship train going than the current players. No one wants to be part of the team that derails that train and that's a huge motivating factor contributing to the sustained dominance NDSU football has had over the FCS in the last 10+ years.

That said, I wonder if the "is this all there is?" attitude towards FCS dominance and national championships that has proliferated a good number of fans has also seeped into some of the players? Imagine the work these guys have to put in year-in-year-out and when they achieve their ultimate goal of winning a national championship it feels like as much of a relief as it does an accomplishment. And then for the underclassmen they know next year they've got to do it all over again. I think some guys feed off of that but I'm guessing it's a physical and emotional drain on others and that emotional drain is probably not something the players from the early 2010s dealt with as much being the championship trailblazers they were.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Oh, I love it when people post links they didn't even read that completely refutes their own view. Prepare to be destroyed.

Opinion of a private organization. No legal standing. Reno vs. ACLU said the gov't can't restrict access to info but says absolutely nothing about private companies. The ACLU was trying to legalize sending minors nude pictures. Think about that.
    Look at my post 113. You. are. arguing. my. point. You can say whatever you want here without reprisal from the government as long as it's protected free speech. Tony has the freedom to do otherwise, no different than if it were real life and we were in a building that Tony owns. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Sheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

I think another aspect affecting these transfers might be the emotional ROI, or lack thereof, based on the physical toll of playing football at NDSU. I think it was on the Benchwarmers podcast where they were said that nobody is more invested in keeping the championship train going than the current players. No one wants to be part of the team that derails that train and that's a huge motivating factor contributing to the sustained dominance NDSU football has had over the FCS in the last 10+ years.

That said, I wonder if the "is this all there is?" attitude towards FCS dominance and national championships that has proliferated a good number of fans has also seeped into some of the players? Imagine the work these guys have to put in year-in-year-out and when they achieve their ultimate goal of winning a national championship it feels like as much of a relief as it does an accomplishment. And then for the underclassmen they know next year they've got to do it all over again. I think some guys feed off of that but I'm guessing it's a physical and emotional drain on others and that emotional drain is probably not something the players from the early 2010s dealt with as much being the championship trailblazers they were.
    I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened before now...

Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 on The U Parts 1 and 2. You can see how toxic it gets. A lot of pressure for just a sense of relief in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That's a really good point.

These players work incredibly hard to maintain the Championship standard, and it often goes unappreciated and almost expected by many of our fans.
    All the constant whining about fbs probably doesn't help the situation either, and may contribute to players leaving.

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Not sure how it is ignorant....wouldn't the AD want to try and gather some inside information as to the reasoning as to why some of these underclassmen, who are playing meaningful snaps, are leaving mid-year? Is it a culture thing, are there conflicts in coaching philosophies and how these players feel they should be utilized, are there personal issues in which some of these kids just want to be closer to home, etc.

I never once said that it is an issue that falls solely on NDSU....I am well aware of the current state of the FCS/FBS in players entering the transfer portal for whatever reason; however, my point was the kids deciding to leave aren't 3rd, 4th, 5th string guys who are buried on the depth chart (Sproles, Hart, Sigle to be specific)...they are either starting or playing extensive minutes for the team.
    I guess it was this sentence- sit down with Entz/Larsen in the near future to try and get to the bottom of WTF is going on?
    To me it read like it was their fault, maybe just me. Hell, 50% of marriages end in divorce and those people swore that only death would seperate them. Keeping people happy with what they chose can be difficult.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

If what you are suggesting is correct, then they shouldn’t sign LOI with NDSU. They know the expectations and culture coming in. Nothing is hidden nor kept from them.

Also, the ROI that is a National Championship along with playing for a program that will develop and commit major time to you, both on and off the field, should far outweigh the “emotional” toll it may have on you. If you sign with NDSU football, and stay with that commitment, you will be a better man and person on the backside. Period.

But emotions, and sacrifice ……. and what about ME!!?
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    That's a really good point.

These players work incredibly hard to maintain the Championship standard, and it often goes unappreciated and almost expected by many of our fans.
    All the constant whining about fbs probably doesn't help the situation either, and may contribute to players leaving.
    I completely agree on the commitment and hard work angle. These young men have a lot of responsibility for 18-22 year olds. It’s a completely different college experience than I had and I’m truly amazed by what they have proven to be capable of as a team and individually. Given the level of commitment required, I’m actually surprised that more don’t choose an easier or at least more personally convenient path. The second part I don’t believe has much impact on them. There is lots of attention on the bison football team. If they’re paying attention to fans discussing FBS, they’re likely not going to make the cut in the program. Their top priorities are keeping their coaches, professors, parents, girlfriends, friends happy. There really isn’t much time left for them to pay attention to the things we pay attention to. I think this is where some of the pushback towards Sproles came from. He obviously put a higher priority on some outside interests than other players did/do. That’s not a crime but if the on field performance doesn’t match the persona, you put a target on your back.