Page 125 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

i see lavar arringtons kid signed with delewarr----------do we play them anytime soon?

Any guesses on what this means???

https://twitter.com/KobeTjohnson/sta...48414047191040

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Johnson's Twitter on 4/21
    Thank you to all the coaches who have reached out, but I have made my decision! Recruitment is officially closed. ✌

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Would like to think he had a change of heart and is staying.

Don't we have a policy though that once they enter the portal, they are gone with no return?

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Would like to think he had a change of heart and is staying.

Don't we have a policy though that once they enter the portal, they are gone with no return?
    That's what I've heard but I still maintain that sooner or later that policy is going to be tested with this increased transfer activity the portal along with the new one-time undergrad transfer allowance (and the COVID year) has allowed. There's several posters on here that say that's a mistake because setting the precedent makes it more appealing for your players (especially your good players) to "test the waters" of the portal and cause even more of these headaches but I think it's going to happen sooner or later where a player who goes into the portal ends up coming back to play for NDSU - just a matter of the coaches and players agreeing that it's worth making an exception for that particular guy.

All of that said it's completely possible Kobe was quiet on social media about the offers he may have been getting and he's heading elsewhere without feeling the need to broadcast it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    That's what I've heard but I still maintain that sooner or later that policy is going to be tested with this increased transfer activity the portal along with the new one-time undergrad transfer allowance (and the COVID year) has allowed. There's several posters on here that say that's a mistake because setting the precedent makes it more appealing for your players (especially your good players) to "test the waters" of the portal and cause even more of these headaches but I think it's going to happen sooner or later where a player who goes into the portal ends up coming back to play for NDSU - just a matter of the coaches and players agreeing that it's worth making an exception for that particular guy.

All of that said it's completely possible Kobe was quiet on social media about the offers he may have been getting and he's heading elsewhere without feeling the need to broadcast it.
    All the fluidity of the portal makes things tricky.

The players are going to do whatever they feel gives them the best opportunity. The coaches also need to take the best players they can to field a good team.

Maybe a little more strategic ambiguity in the policy would be good. Something along the lines of once you enter the portal, NDSU will recruit for that position and may replace you, placing your spot/opportunity at risk. Still could leave the possibility of a player returning if there are roster positions available. Coaches just fill all spots with the best players available, and in a few instances that might be someone like Kobe. I'd imagine this is what most teams do. Not sure it makes sense to tell a player they can't come back if they are still the best option. Some teams like Coastal Carolina actively re-recruit their guys when they go to the portal (they retained Grayson McCall in spite of other offers)

Flip side I guess is that we have had a relatively small number of players in the portal compared to FBS teams. Hard to know if "sending a message" with this policy has really been part of that or not. We also have more guys in the portal than some other FCS teams, but that could be related to talent level and success.

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    New portal offer: Jack Eichorn, 6-6 295 Offensive Tackle from Weber St. 3 years left to play.

https://twitter.com/EichornJake/stat...968979457?s=20
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    San Diego State, Washington State, Utah State Liberty, ODU, Nevada, Wyoming offers as well.
    Eichorn has committed to BYU

https://twitter.com/eichornjake/stat...s_A8kKzcXrRkKg

Richie Hagarty was offered today by NDSU

https://twitter.com/RichieHagarty/st...857458689?s=20

Would be a great addition to the DE room. 2 years eligibility left. 6-3 255, 6.5 sacks last year 9 TFLs. 1st team all Missouri valley.

Hopefully Petrino can land him.
    Looks like Haggarty landed a P5 offer from Northwestern. Former DC Braun there.

https://twitter.com/nufbrecruiting/s...s_A8kKzcXrRkKg

Looks like Haggarty landed a P5 offer from Northwestern. Former DC Braun there.

https://twitter.com/nufbrecruiting/s...s_A8kKzcXrRkKg
    1-11 last year, not a great program.

Unless the kid just really likes that school and wants to graduate there, I don't see the appeal.
    Maybe that offer puts him on the radar of other B1G schools though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    1-11 last year, not a great program.

Unless the kid just really likes that school and wants to graduate there, I don't see the appeal.
    Maybe that offer puts him on the radar of other B1G schools though.
    Get real. The appeal is to get the opportunity to play 2 years in a top 3 conference in college football. They hired our DC in Braun and new Dline coach, Christian Smith, who was at SDSU. So they are pretty familiar with what Hagarty can do.
    Last edited by tolnabison; 04-24-2023 at 03:19 AM.

How special was Christian Watson? Blows my mind I saw him play his last college game as a Bison.