Page 119 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post

I think the issue also be what sort of precedent it sets going forward.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I think the issue also be what sort of precedent it sets going forward.
    Exactly, how many of us in the workforce have left an employer to go to a new job thinking the grass was greener there. Only to find out that it is not and wish they could go back to their old job. How many have the balls to even think about calling up the old boss to see if their job was still available to come back too.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Exactly, how many of us in the workforce have left an employer to go to a new job thinking the grass was greener there. Only to find out that it is not and wish they could go back to their old job. How many have the balls to even think about calling up the old boss to see if their job was still available to come back too.
    I've seen it happen multiple times. But those doing the yoyo were highly productive, ambitious and charismatic. Best one I recall was a super smart and GQ handsome sales engineer at an engineering manufacturer who decided he was going to buy a seat on the CBOE and make a fortune. Cashed in all his savings and went for it. They ate his lunch and stole his undies in less than six months. Company welcomed him back with open arms AFAIK. He was mighty hungry on his return.

I saw it also in the hedge fund space where a portfolio manager and/or quant would go out on their own, fail, and come crawling back. It's one thing to make intelligent investment choices and quite another to raise capital. So, very much a special case but still, I have seen it happen.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I've seen it happen multiple times. But those doing the yoyo were highly productive, ambitious and charismatic. Best one I recall was a super smart and GQ handsome sales engineer at an engineering manufacturer who decided he was going to buy a seat on the CBOE and make a fortune. Cashed in all his savings and went for it. They ate his lunch and stole his undies in less than six months. Company welcomed him back with open arms AFAIK. He was mighty hungry on his return.

I saw it also in the hedge fund space where a portfolio manager and/or quant would go out on their own, fail, and come crawling back. It's one thing to make intelligent investment choices and quite another to raise capital. So, very much a special case but still, I have seen it happen.
    I'd imagine that only works if they left on good terms. Doubt any of these transfer situations are pleasant conversations with the head coach. You wish them well but it stings and you make it known there's no going back.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It most definitely happens. I lost a unicorn employee last June and was pretty bummed about it. It turns out that we hadn't been doing what was needed on employee development and retention. I didn't even realize it. Last week, I heard that she wasn't completely happy with her new place and since I've kept in good, friendly contact with her, I reached out to see if she wanted to return. I've since sent a very strong offer to her, hoping that money and a change in role and status in the firm will do the trick. Now just crossing my fingers...

Obviously not the same situation but given the emergence of NIL, I think the portal is different than it used to be and, like me with my business, coaches also probably need to change their retention and recruiting strategies.
    Insert something clever here...

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I take note of teh grass is greener on teh other side of teh fence cows and ship em off first chance I get eh. Hate fence jumpers eh. Don't put up with it eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I take note of teh grass is greener on teh other side of teh fence cows and ship em off first chance I get eh. Hate fence jumpers eh. Don't put up with it eh.
    Clarkson only ships them off if they fail to be impregnated. But then he is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I've gone back to 3 different employers over the years. Each time it benefitted both myself and my employer.

First was an insurance company, worked for them at age 19, hired back on 20 years later in life as a regional manager.
    2nd was a fire & security company, left on good terms first time was hired back as regional manager (only left because they were selling to a much larger company)
    3rd was a car dealership. Hired on initially as a sales rep, quickly jumped into a department manager role within 3 months. Left for a while to work at the above company and rehired on as a sales manager

I'd call any of the 3 above again if I needed employment. Honestly wouldn't think twice about it. I'm about 99.9999% confident I'd be hired back on the spot for any of them.

Clarkson only ships them off if they fail to be impregnated. But then he is sad.
    Poor poor Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    Poor poor Pepper
    <THREAD DRIFT>

It's not like he didn't try. Cheerful Charlie is the bad guy.

I bet she tasted great though.

<THREAD DRIFT/>