Page 42 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

As long as the portal rules continue like they are now, FCS will be a minor league system for players hoping to get an FBS look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Is Klieman or Klanderman tampering with our players? Seriously who's getting in these guys ears??
    Talked to the Dad of one of the players (neither of these guys) earlier this year at our tailgating spot....he flat out told me that Arizona coaches were talking to Courtney after their game. Entz has also insinuated in prior pressers that although FBS coaches aren't "supposed" to be trying to entice players to enter the portal, it is absolutely happening. Not sure if us moving to the FBS would help prevent kids from entering the portal, but it certainly isn't going to hurt our chances of retaining them.

This shit's going to destroy college sports. Why invest in these kids and watch them bolt? Why invest in our programs to watch the big guys come in and deplete them??

Civil06 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think you're going to start seeing dwindling attendance trends continue at all levels except for the very top teams in FBS and whatever teams are in a championship hunt. Mid to lower ranked P5 teams this year were full of empty stadiums. I think the college football brand is becoming less appealing to spend hard-earned money on, and over the last few years, I'm much more apt to do something else on Saturdays. The general fans are going to become even more apathetic unless something changes.
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts."
    - Henry Blaha

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Talked to the Dad of one of the players (neither of these guys) earlier this year at our tailgating spot....he flat out told me that Arizona coaches were talking to Courtney after their game. Entz has also insinuated in prior pressers that although FBS coaches aren't "supposed" to be trying to entice players to enter the portal, it is absolutely happening. Not sure if us moving to the FBS would alleviate kids entering the portal, but it certainly isn't going to hurt our chances of retaining them.
    Hard not to feel like every tier of College FB is just a feeder program for the tier above them. It was always possible before but now with NIL and the ease of transfer portal rules it is a much simpler environment. If we move to and succeed at a G5 conference some of the kids we most want to keep will still aim for a P5 move. Hard to fault the kids in this situation and preventing them from doing so feels weird too. Not sure what needs to change. /sigh
    Rixen

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ya this is just bad. Very similar to when we were forced to reduce schollies in the 90’s as it really reduced our program. In this case people will come after our kids more than others based on our past results. I have been hard on Entz and Roehl but this junk makes it miserable to be a coach.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil06 View Post
    I think you're going to start seeing dwindling attendance trends continue at all levels except for the very top teams in FBS and whatever teams are in a championship hunt. Mid to lower ranked P5 teams this year were full of empty stadiums. I think the college football brand is becoming less appealing to spend hard-earned money on, and over the last few years, I'm much more apt to do something else on Saturdays. The general fans are going to become even more apathetic unless something changes.
    I think you make some good points but I would like to add I think the biggest threat this has to our sports landscape is that the lifeblood of these, and our, programs is the hardcore fans/boosters that always buy tickets and show up to the games and spread the interest in the community. If the hardcore fans and boosters no longer feel like their time and money contributions have an impact and you lose them then the program suffers and then in turn the community (i.e. general fans) lose interest. It feels like a potential domino effect leading to what you mentioned, a nationwide dwindling attendance trend.

Pretty crappy situation. Maybe I am just being overly pessimistic though.
    Rixen

Do we even have a secondary at this point?
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

I think the only way this slows down for us is if the next few kids(and the ones that have already transferred) essentially wallow away on the bottom of the depth chart vs playing here.

This is becoming a big problem though. We aren't losing 2nd tier kids...we are just flat out losing our starters year after year. If we play a young kid and he succeeds early, it's almost a kiss of death.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Losing 3-5 impact players a year will kill us.