Page 120 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    It most definitely happens. I lost a unicorn employee last June and was pretty bummed about it. It turns out that we hadn't been doing what was needed on employee development and retention. I didn't even realize it. Last week, I heard that she wasn't completely happy with her new place and since I've kept in good, friendly contact with her, I reached out to see if she wanted to return. I've since sent a very strong offer to her, hoping that money and a change in role and status in the firm will do the trick. Now just crossing my fingers...

Obviously not the same situation but given the emergence of NIL, I think the portal is different than it used to be and, like me with my business, coaches also probably need to change their retention and recruiting strategies.
    I think that with remote work, there can be a vacuum between junior and senior people and it is vital to fill that with something positive. I was at a charity thing last week, and the senior people (all making seven figures) were auctioning off "experiences" to junior employees. Almost every "experience" was golfing at a private country club. It's none of my business, but I was thinking of suggesting that they turn that on its head if they do this again and have senior people bid on outings with junior people.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I think that with remote work, there can be a vacuum between junior and senior people and it is vital to fill that with something positive. I was at a charity thing last week, and the senior people (all making seven figures) were auctioning off "experiences" to junior employees. Almost every "experience" was golfing at a private country club. It's none of my business, but I was thinking of suggesting that they turn that on its head if they do this again and have senior people bid on outings with junior people.
    Remote work has everything on its ear. We ask everyone to be in the office on Mondays and Thursdays and then work remotely on the other days. Frankly, everyone has proven that we can be productive remotely so it generally isn't a problem plus I would never be able to retain my team if I now required 5 days/week in the office. That's just a big change that all employers in my industry just need to live with.

It sucks for mentoring junior staff, however. We have a young guy working for us and we have to work really hard to give him what he needs to grow given his remote work time. It all needs to be more mindful now.

One other thing that messes with us is the fact that we use Revit as our modeling and drafting platform. The way that it works is that there's one big central model that lives on the server that everyone is working in simultaneously. It has everything in one file. Right now, we're jamming on a permit/bid set on a $15M building and the file is 452Mg. When we have 3 or more people working intensely in the model, all on VPN, it can affect productivity due to the lengthy synchronizing that needs to happen. This means that when we're in a big crunch on a project, we ask everyone to be in the office together for a few days in a row and I buy lunches to be delivered and we make a party out of it. I just ordered a taco lineup to be delivered for today's lunch.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Remote work has everything on its ear. We ask everyone to be in the office on Mondays and Thursdays and then work remotely on the other days. Frankly, everyone has proven that we can be productive remotely so it generally isn't a problem plus I would never be able to retain my team if I now required 5 days/week in the office. That's just a big change that all employers in my industry just need to live with.

It sucks for mentoring junior staff, however. We have a young guy working for us and we have to work really hard to give him what he needs to grow given his remote work time. It all needs to be more mindful now.

One other thing that messes with us is the fact that we use Revit as our modeling and drafting platform. The way that it works is that there's one big central model that lives on the server that everyone is working in simultaneously. It has everything in one file. Right now, we're jamming on a permit/bid set on a $15M building and the file is 452Mg. When we have 3 or more people working intensely in the model, all on VPN, it can affect productivity due to the lengthy synchronizing that needs to happen. This means that when we're in a big crunch on a project, we ask everyone to be in the office together for a few days in a row and I buy lunches to be delivered and we make a party out of it. I just ordered a taco lineup to be delivered for today's lunch.
    You probably already know this but in order to make those remote locations most effective they need to have high speed fiber to premise and NOBODY gets to use WiFi. You wanna go work by the pool? Fine. But drag a 100’ Cat6 cable out there and jack that laptop in sonny! As a hedgie I had money to burn but we subsidized home internet services in order to assure that it was not an impediment.

GFB - proudly supporting distributed financial services since 1993. (But not in the last four years)
    Don't believe everything you think.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I think the issue also be what sort of precedent it sets going forward.
    Cutting your nose to spite your face. If they want to place without a scholarship and the players are fine with it, what's the problem. Take the W
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Exactly, how many of us in the workforce have left an employer to go to a new job thinking the grass was greener there. Only to find out that it is not and wish they could go back to their old job. How many have the balls to even think about calling up the old boss to see if their job was still available to come back too.
    This is something that literally happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    This is something that literally happens all the time.
    Literally....the most overused word of the current generation.

And almost always used incorrectly.

I am literally the grammar police today.

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post

The word “literally” was literally redefined in Websters to include the definition “Figuratively.” So, you are literally correct. Literally…

Or as my anti-environmental uncle Clyde always said to her daughter, Allison: “Litter, Ally!”
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post

I used it correctly though

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    I used it correctly though
    Literally.

Lardsin must go!

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    The word “literally” was literally redefined in Websters to include the definition “Figuratively.” So, you are literally correct. Literally…
    I remember when that happened. I was horrified. To change the meaning of a word from "precisely" to "kinda sorta" seems to be a clear signal that we're losing.
    Insert something clever here...