Page 18 of 175 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    Good commentary on the portal. He nails it, imo.

https://twitter.com/TyHudson83/statu...CkpWFAdMrahMcw
    Yep. Addressed the subject very well.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    Good commentary on the portal. He nails it, imo.

https://twitter.com/TyHudson83/statu...CkpWFAdMrahMcw
    Even SEC teams have to deal with players heading to the transfer portal.
    It's OK to not be OK.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    My thought is that the transfer portal rule was changed mostly because of pressure from FBS schools wanting to be able to poach FCS and so on down the line of talent that most higher level schools missed. Helps the FBS schools recover from a whiff on recruiting a kid who flops, or better yet they can recover from multiple whiffs or a piss poor recruiter. True that some kids will transfer down in order to get playing time. Lets face it, hard for any kid to say no if Ohio St, Georgia, Alabama and so on come calling to say no to them, even if you are one of the most loyal Bison players.
    I'm not sure that was the reason. There is just as much P5 to P5 transferring as anything else. We are more aware of the FCS to FBS transferring because it's what directly impacts us. I think the primary purpose was to make it easier for players who want to transfer to indicate their interest and for teams to know who is available. The portal is just a logistics tool that makes perfect sense. What has greatly increased transfers is removing the one year waiting period to be able to play for some transfers.

Being at an age where I have friends with kids who are college athletes, I get a little different perspective from them. I get why many choose a different option for various reasons. I don't like the "coaches change why can't students?" justification. Choose the option that works best for you, assuming the coach leaves. But reality is the coaches that recruit you are a big reason athletes choose their school. It's a relationship game.

The way to get rid of the volume of transfers is to reinstate the 1 year waiting period, but that won't happen. The timing of the early signing period affects the players leaving now. They could possibly wait until after the championship game to officially transfer, but they want to get into the mix before final offers are accepted for freshmen.

It's the new reality, and our coaches need to learn how to be successful in the system.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Yep. Addressed the subject very well.
    That's all great. If Auburn calls him he's packing his bags tomorrow. People are always looking for what's better, and they always have. There now just is a system that allows the kids to take part as well.

This is the new norm, so get used to it. There will probably be a year where this amount leaving seems like a dream. It's a new wrinkle that the coaches will have to adapt to. Let's hope they're better adapting to that than they are other things...

Its going to get way worse than it is now.

Once the Big Ten and SEC start paying players...There is going to be big time dollars these kit can make while playing in college. If the Big Ten makes 1 billion in TV dollars a year...you would think the players should be making about 40% to 55% of that each year. (NFL teams pay the players about 55% of league wide revenue). Right now it seems the players portion is college football TV money is very low....they should be making a lot more.

When Big Ten teams can be paying the head coach 10 million a season - they can definitely afford paying each player 100K a year that is on scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    My thought is that the transfer portal rule was changed mostly because of pressure from FBS schools wanting to be able to poach FCS and so on down the line of talent that most higher level schools missed. Helps the FBS schools recover from a whiff on recruiting a kid who flops, or better yet they can recover from multiple whiffs or a piss poor recruiter. True that some kids will transfer down in order to get playing time. Lets face it, hard for any kid to say no if Ohio St, Georgia, Alabama and so on come calling to say no to them, even if you are one of the most loyal Bison players.
    It was changed because the cries from the Jay Bilas-es of the world kept getting louder and more numerous about how college athletes, especially football and men's basketball players, were basically the equivalent of modern day indentured servitude. It didn't seem fair that coaches could move around schools as they please or that a college student musician could move around without having to sit out a year. There's truth in that regard but there's also a reason why the NCAA, which represents the collective feelings of its member institutions, wanted to keep these rules that would dissuade student-athletes from transferring. Eventually they had to acquiesce knowing their position was getting more and more unjustifiable.

I'd say the onus is on the coaches at NDSU and elsewhere to figure out how to navigate this new landscape of player movement - whether that's by diving into the portal to plug holes in the roster or by focusing recruiting strategy on players that may not be as talented as you could get but are more likely to be retained for 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It was changed because the cries from the Jay Bilas-es of the world kept getting louder and more numerous about how college athletes, especially football and men's basketball players, were basically the equivalent of modern day indentured servitude. It didn't seem fair that coaches could move around schools as they please or that a college student musician could move around without having to sit out a year. There's truth in that regard but there's also a reason why the NCAA, which represents the collective feelings of its member institutions, wanted to keep these rules that would dissuade student-athletes from transferring. Eventually they had to acquiesce knowing their position was getting more and more unjustifiable.

I'd say the onus is on the coaches at NDSU and elsewhere to figure out how to navigate this new landscape of player movement - whether that's by diving into the portal to plug holes in the roster or by focusing recruiting strategy on players that may not be as talented as you could get but are more likely to be retained for 4-5 years.
    I don't think our strategy needs to change at all except to maybe vet some of these players even more then we already do and not sure that's possible. Kids are gonna make stupid decisions from time to time. We need to recruit the most talented players we can get, use the portal to plug a few gaps but don't rely on it to build our roster and stress to these guys that the grass isn't always greener and to put the effort in and stick it out to be champions in life. There will still be kids that leave but that's their loss not NDSU's!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Even SEC teams have to deal with players heading to the transfer portal.
    Heck, P5s always had kids transferring. The difference was that it wasn't starters - most of the time it was backups going to FCS schools with the occasional grad transfer tossed in.

That Jacksonville State team NDSU faced in the championship game was built on SEC transfers (who, in turn, we're constructed from all-you-can-eat buffets.)
    Last edited by tony; 11-23-2022 at 04:20 PM.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A lot of guys decided to come back for another year, and a lot of guys are still on the roster gearing up for a playoff run. I'm focusing on the current Bison team. Next man up, let's go win this thing!!

Go Bison!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Heck, P5s always had kids transferring. The difference was that it wasn't starters - most of the time it was backups going to FCS schools with the occasional grad transfer tossed in.

That Jacksonville State team NDSU faced in the championship game was built on SEC transfers (who, in turn, were constructed from all-you-can-eat buffets.)
    LOL! I recall having exchanges with their fans wherein I pointed out that their linemen were, uh, “robust” let’s say and those fans just couldn’t see it at the time.
    Don't believe everything you think.