Page 12 of 175 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Sure they can. The company I work for has all kinds of clawbacks if I go to work for a competitor. Think about any professional sports league. They operate almost completely outside of labor laws.

Would take a lot of legal work but it can be done. Literally anything can be done with the right lawyer.

Note: Not that it will ever happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't.
    Again, big difference between a private company and the NCAA mandating public schools. I've signed plenty of NDA and non-compete clauses at private companies, but is a state run institution even allowed to do that? There's tons of things a private company is legally allowed to do but gov't isn't. One example is how 1st amendment free speech doesn't apply to web forums.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonHorns View Post
    I think the paragraph about sitting down with Entz and Larson is ignorant talk. Anyone that thinks this is an NDSU specific problem is unaware of the realities of college football and the transfer portal.
    No to mention that you'd probably be better off shouting at a brick wall then getting entz to listen eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Again, big difference between a private company and the NCAA mandating public schools. I've signed plenty of NDA and non-compete clauses at private companies, but is a state run institution even allowed to do that? There's tons of things a private company is legally allowed to do but gov't isn't. One example is how 1st amendment free speech doesn't apply to web forums.
    Well this is getting super off-topic but 1st amendment free speech does apply to web forums. It just doesn't apply to you having uncensored access to web forums. A person may get kicked off the website, may have their post removed, but that person can use any protected free speech here without legal repercussions. That's all the first amendment promises in regards to free speech. Otherwise it'd be illegal to take graffiti off your storefront or remove pamphlets for your lobby.

Back on topic: If the NCAA can find a way to make tens of billions of dollars each year without being subject to paying its primary labor, it can figure out a way to legally handcuff coaches' contracts. I can find 100 examples in 5 minutes where the NCAA is mandating a public institution to do or not do something.
    Last edited by NDSU92; 11-21-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was told by a parent that all players lived in the same house.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

In many states a company can't have you sign a binding non-compete clause without providing compensation (IE they attach it to a bonus) for the employees decreased value in the job market.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Sproles is a duke eh

Lardsin must go!

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Well this is getting super off-topic but 1st amendment free speech does apply to web forums. It just doesn't apply to you having uncensored access to web forums. A person may get kicked off the website, may have their post removed, but that person can use any protected free speech here without legal repercussions. That's all the first amendment promises in regards to free speech. Otherwise it'd be illegal to take graffiti off your storefront or remove pamphlets for your lobby.

Back on topic: If the NCAA can find a way to make tens of billions of dollars each year without being subject to paying its primary labor, it can figure out a way to legally handcuff coaches' contracts. I can find 100 examples in 5 minutes where the NCAA is mandating a public institution to do or not do something.
    I agree this is getting off-topic and I'm not going to change your opinion, but for anyone else reading this please do your own research. This post is objectively wrong on almost every point. 1st amendment and NCAA anti-trust SCOTUS cases are pretty easy to find. NCAA absolutely can not mandate violations of state labor law.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Sproles is a duke eh
    ......more like a dope, eh.....

I agree this is getting off-topic and I'm not going to change your opinion, but for anyone else reading this please do your own research. This post is objectively wrong on almost every point. 1st amendment and NCAA anti-trust SCOTUS cases are pretty easy to find. NCAA absolutely can not mandate violations of state labor law.
    Nice I did my own research:

https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-spe...n%20a%20museum.

https://accessiblelaw.untdallas.edu/...h-social-media

Feel free to explain what I said was wrong instead of just saying it's objectively wrong because you said so.

And it's not about violating state labor laws. It's about circumventing them. I'm sorry I didn't spell it out for you more easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

So when is Entz going to release a statement or answer some questions on this? This week would
    be the time to address this. No press conference this week, does he rather wait until playoff week?