Page 112 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    All very good points.

I think if all this goes thru, a relative handful of the top athletes profit, but overall the entire concept of the student athlete and many sports and SA's end up in a far worse position.

Already, we are seeing SA's who go to the portal that end up without scholarships. In FBS, some of them are being pushed to the portal. The number of players signing with a school, staying 4 years and graduating with a degree from that school are shrinking. In a profit oriented system, unproductive employees will be cut.

The schools won't magically find another $4/5 billion for this. Some may end sports entirely. Others will just convert scholarships to wages as you suggest. The *average* student athlete may not benefit at all, and many will find themselves without an opportunity. I had friends who were athletes in school, and they were serious students, who placed a high value on academics. Those are the ones that will suffer.

The more I see of all this, the more I think maybe the Ivies got things right for college sports. College sports becoming a semi-pro system is not good for academia or for those athletes who wish to be students and get their degrees.
    I still think that this was all doomed to failure as early as when schools actively started recruiting kids and accepting kids that had no business attending their school in the first place
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Interested how free market, libertarian absolutists could argue this point. TJamz is usually very loyal to his ideology on these points. Interesting if he'd agree that college athletics has created at system divorced from the free market and as such should be changed to bring it more inline... Then again, reptilians love their young slave labor.
    It's a tough call honestly.

On one hand, the current/previous (more so previous) system allows the student athlete an internship to hone their craft and determine if that is a career path they wish to take. It's low pay and demanding, but it is a contract that they enter into to attempt to crack the labor market. On top of that, if their internship doesn't land them an opportunity at one of the 32 high paying institutions, they may still have opportunities at lower tier organizations (CFL/USFL/XFL) to pursue their dreams. On top of that, they are earning a degree that should help them transition into the traditional work force. Add in the local name recognition and you see that there are some opportunities that open for guys like Drago and Jirik who parlay their name and knowledge that they earned at NDSU to create multiple businesses and revenue streams for themselves.

On the other hand you have the idea of a free market where the athlete can market themselves and earn immediate income off of their name, image & likeness. Literally no-one would bat an eye if an academic scholar was a standout in their field of study and accepted an opportunity to attend MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc... Nor would anyone have an issue with them creating something marketable and profiting from it while attending school. Maybe it's an app, maybe it's a new form of vehicle propulsion, maybe it's a radical new way to grow and harvest crops or maybe it's creating an OnlyFans page and making money off of guys like Izzy.

I can make an argument for either option. I could also make an argument that if you choose to leave the university before your contract is up, you forfeit some/all of your credits.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Interested how free market, libertarian absolutists could argue this point. TJamz is usually very loyal to his ideology on these points. Interesting if he'd agree that college athletics has created at system divorced from the free market and as such should be changed to bring it more inline... Then again, reptilians love their young slave labor.
    Right, but then free market should be free market. Let me make my own team and join whatever conference wants me. Oh, I’ll take a $10 media deal because I’m renting out some random gym and paying my players $0.49 each? Too bad so sad for the kids that want $20k for putting a ball through a hoop.

Think it’s ridiculous? Guess we’ll never find out because athletics in the US isn’t a free market and never will be. Literally no one knows how much college athletics would be worth in a free market scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post

On one hand, the current/previous (more so previous) system allows the student athlete an internship to hone their craft and determine if that is a career path they wish to take. It's low pay and demanding, but it is a contract that they enter into to attempt to crack the labor market. On top of that, if their internship doesn't land them an opportunity at one of the 32 high paying institutions, they may still have opportunities at lower tier organizations (CFL/USFL/XFL) to pursue their dreams. On top of that, they are earning a degree that should help them transition into the traditional work force. Add in the local name recognition and you see that there are some opportunities that open for guys like Drago and Jirik who parlay their name and knowledge that they earned at NDSU to create multiple businesses and revenue streams for themselves.

On the other hand you have the idea of a free market where the athlete can market themselves and earn immediate income off of their name, image & likeness. Literally no-one would bat an eye if an academic scholar was a standout in their field of study and accepted an opportunity to attend MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc... Nor would anyone have an issue with them creating something marketable and profiting from it while attending school. Maybe it's an app, maybe it's a new form of vehicle propulsion, maybe it's a radical new way to grow and harvest crops or maybe it's creating an OnlyFans page and making money off of guys like Izzy.

I can make an argument for either option. I could also make an argument that if you choose to leave the university before your contract is up, you forfeit some/all of your credits.

Just for information. Academic scholars create things all the time at universities. However when using university time and resources the university gets their cut. At one place I worked which was a Big10 university, university took a third, the department the "inventors" were in got a third and the remaining third was split amongst the creators. Which at the time was considered generous to the creators.

hey bro u see that yoga pants girl on twitter that is causing a libertarian party civil war or are you still just hanging out with the crypto libertarians in the GOP?
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    hey bro u see that yoga pants girl on twitter that is causing a libertarian party civil war or are you still just hanging out with the crypto libertarians in the GOP?
    Bro? Pls respond.

Bro? Pls respond.
    brb googling..
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Bro? Pls respond.
    wtf bro are u team yoga pants girl or team mises caucus?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A couple counter points. 2% (or some similar crazy number) of college football players get professional contracts. Not a great job placement rate in their field. Very few are using this as a platform to an NFL contract or any other level of professional.

People often use that example of students in other disciplines being able to make significant money. The difference is they are getting that for something they've actually accomplished. Not to agree to attend a specific university with the potential of what they may do. That's where this system is flawed. It's not truly NIL. It's a signing bonus paid by someone outside the university to get you to attend their preferred university. That's just messed up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    A couple counter points. 2% (or some similar crazy number) of college football players get professional contracts. Not a great job placement rate in their field. Very few are using this as a platform to an NFL contract or any other level of professional.

People often use that example of students in other disciplines being able to make significant money. The difference is they are getting that for something they've actually accomplished. Not to agree to attend a specific university with the potential of what they may do. That's where this system is flawed. It's not truly NIL. It's a signing bonus paid by someone outside the university to get you to attend their preferred university. That's just messed up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Playing major college football is professional football in all but name. It is silly to keep pretending otherwise.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie