Page 167 of 175 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    And my comment is not reflecting on the Green and Gold Collective or anything NDSU is doing to work with the new reality. (The G&G is doing a wonderful job). It is a reflection of all football programs across the country, having to look over your shoulder, so to speak, trying to gauge money amounts, wondering how to keep kids in your own program, what happens if there is money "creep." At some point, will $100K not be enough... If there is such a thing as Bison Fatigue, there is Portal Fatigue - maybe even Exhaustion.
    The well runs DEEP at the blue bloods in football and basketball. College sports will implode before there is "exhaustion" with those donors. The best case scenario for the G5's and the NDSU's of the world is a separate playoff system and agreed to $ collective limits. It doesn't need to be 1990's reactionary D2 stupid, but there has to be some sort of limit. Maybe start at 750,000 or 1 million??? I have no idea ..

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    The well runs DEEP at the blue bloods in football and basketball. College sports will implode before there is "exhaustion" with those donors. The best case scenario for the G5's and the NDSU's of the world is a separate playoff system and agreed to $ collective limits. It doesn't need to be 1990's reactionary D2 stupid, but there has to be some sort of limit. Maybe start at 750,000 or 1 million??? I have no idea ..
    Thank you. I appreciate your perspective and info. I am trying to wrap my head around this whole transfer portal/NIL, etc. I am glad NDSU/G&G is getting a handle on this and it reminds me I need to write a check to them. Money well-spent.

In ten years, I want to look back at all of this and have a perspective on how this all played out. Even though the transfer portal, etc. is the new reality, more and more money is being thrown at this. I don't know where it is going to end, and what happens if there is burnout on donors, too.
    I imagine that you could see coaching and admin salaries plateau or decrease and the sizes of staffs stagnate or shrink. Also, you will probably stop seeing collegiate facilities that are superior to professional ones. The money going to the players doesn’t all have to be new money. There’s a billion dollars sloshing around the feed trough already.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I imagine that you could see coaching and admin salaries plateau or decrease and the sizes of staffs stagnate or shrink. Also, you will probably stop seeing collegiate facilities that are superior to professional ones. The money going to the players doesn’t all have to be new money. There’s a billion dollars sloshing around the feed trough already.
    May vary by conference, but what we are seeing is the money and talent all concentrating at the very top, P4, and specifically the B1G/SEC.

Other conferences are getting squeezed out, and thats driving a lot of the reshuffling: top PAC schools to B1G/B12, and FSU wanting to exit ACC.

It makes the system unequal and uncompetitive for G5 schools. I do think a split is coming.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thank you. I appreciate your perspective and info. I am trying to wrap my head around this whole transfer portal/NIL, etc. I am glad NDSU/G&G is getting a handle on this and it reminds me I need to write a check to them. Money well-spent.
    I'll send G&G a modest donation, but not going to stretch. Just not worth it in the bigger picture to think we can win by buying players. We'll be able to pick up some of the FCS players the FBS teams don't want. We won't realistically be able to retain any top players that get P4 offers. Not when UND's QB is leaving to be a 3rd stringer. It's like thinking we could retain a player with NFL offers, and the money is reaching that level now.

I believe the real answer is to create and develop a deep pipeline based on HS kids, and always have a next man up ready to go. The HS pool will be deeper now that the P4 are more focused on "proven" transfers for their rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I'll send G&G a modest donation, but not going to stretch. Just not worth it in the bigger picture to think we can win by buying players. We'll be able to pick up some of the FCS players the FBS teams don't want. We won't realistically be able to retain any top players that get P4 offers. Not when UND's QB is leaving to be a 3rd stringer. It's like thinking we could retain a player with NFL offers, and the money is reaching that level now.

I believe the real answer is to create and develop a deep pipeline based on HS kids, and always have a next man up ready to go. The HS pool will be deeper now that the P4 are more focused on "proven" transfers for their rosters.
    That's a reasonable way of looking at it, good logic. I hope it is true and works out for the Bison to develop and retain our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

I don't think anyone at the G&G (or donating to it for that matter) is seriously entertaining the thought that we're going to compete with P4 NIL offers. However, after the 2022 season we lost a starting CB to Coastal Carolina and a starting RB, starting DE, and future starting S to Colorado St.

The G&G's goal, as I understand it, is to retain as many players as we can that have been developed here - not go buy transfers from elsewhere. That goes hand-in-hand with your proposed strategy of taking advantage of a deeper HS recruiting pool.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by PlrbrBison View Post
    That's a reasonable way of looking at it, good logic. I hope it is true and works out for the Bison to develop and retain our kids.
    I still think there are enough spots at the P5 schools for HS recruits. Unless the school is taking in more transfers than they lost they still have scholarship slots for the same or more HS recruits.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I still think there are enough spots at the P5 schools for HS recruits. Unless the school is taking in more transfers than they lost they still have scholarship slots for the same or more HS recruits.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    The most reliable way to evaluate the players is if you see them everyday so I agree, I think that there will still be plenty of spots for high school recruits on P4 rosters. It will be interesting to see how portal activity changes as COVID eligibility ends. I suspect there will be a mix of strategies depending on circumstance and philosophy.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo(2) View Post
    Just need to carry a picture of each trophy room with you and pull those out when the subject comes up. I work with a bunch of Bunny alum and when they start to rub it in lately, I remind them that once they win 6 in a row or 10 in FCS, thats when they can rub in. I usually hear, “touché.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have reminded them of the quantity of NDSU championships but I also typically just let them have their moment. My hope is that maybe they'll take a cue to "act like they've been there before". Maybe that's wishful thinking but still seems like a better option than arguing with them. The old "wrestle with a pig, get covered in shit" lesson always enters my mind.