Page 168 of 175 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think anyone at the G&G (or donating to it for that matter) is seriously entertaining the thought that we're going to compete with P4 NIL offers. However, after the 2022 season we lost a starting CB to Coastal Carolina and a starting RB, starting DE, and future starting S to Colorado St.

The G&G's goal, as I understand it, is to retain as many players as we can that have been developed here - not go buy transfers from elsewhere. That goes hand-in-hand with your proposed strategy of taking advantage of a deeper HS recruiting pool.
    We did manage to keep at least one player who apparently had P4 dollars on the table. Of course he has a family and come Jan 15 he’ll be in Florida or California for pre-draft training no matter what and then relocating again in May. Everyone’s situation is different and we won’t win them all. The collective gives us a chip and a chair when it comes to the retaining even the elite guys, and we’re in the hand with good odds and the rest instead of watching from the gallery.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think anyone at the G&G (or donating to it for that matter) is seriously entertaining the thought that we're going to compete with P4 NIL offers. However, after the 2022 season we lost a starting CB to Coastal Carolina and a starting RB, starting DE, and future starting S to Colorado St.

The G&G's goal, as I understand it, is to retain as many players as we can that have been developed here - not go buy transfers from elsewhere. That goes hand-in-hand with your proposed strategy of taking advantage of a deeper HS recruiting pool.
    A handful of the G5 schools have deep pockets.

Coastal has a billionaire bankrolling that program, and SMU (moving to ACC) also has at least a dozen texas oil tycoon billionaires feeding them. A few more of the AAC schools like Tulane have money that you wouldn't guess based on attendance. Not sure about Colorado St.

We might win a few battles, but some players will always leave. Its happening even more in FBS. Entirely new starters some places. The question now is how to reload each year. We won't see many top players play as starters at one school for 4 years. All Conference or All American awards now means player payday.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I still think there are enough spots at the P5 schools for HS recruits. Unless the school is taking in more transfers than they lost they still have scholarship slots for the same or more HS recruits.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Some (many?) of the P4 are now emphasizing "proven" transfers over taking HS kids that haven't played college ball yet. The top schools are using transfers sort of like a farm system. Its evolving similar to NFL, and you might someday see college kids turning down NFL offers to play for P4 teams.

Won't surprise me if they eventually stop capping years of eligibility, and just allow anyone enrolled in a basket weaving class to play. P4 is thinly disguised pro ball now at the top. Might end up being what the USFL/XFL/UFL have been trying to become.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    A handful of the G5 schools have deep pockets.

Coastal has a billionaire bankrolling that program, and SMU (moving to ACC) also has at least a dozen texas oil tycoon billionaires feeding them. A few more of the AAC schools like Tulane have money that you wouldn't guess based on attendance. Not sure about Colorado St.

We might win a few battles, but some players will always leave. Its happening even more in FBS. Entirely new starters some places. The question now is how to reload each year. We won't see many top players play as starters at one school for 4 years. All Conference or All American awards now means player payday.
    Remember--------no matter how much money the bigs have they still can only have so many players on the roster just like now. They can only offer so many.

So in the end the talent pool is going to stay the same. A certain percentage of players will HAVE to go to the smaller schools. Just like now.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Remember--------no matter how much money the bigs have they still can only have so many players on the roster just like now. They can only offer so many.

So in the end the talent pool is going to stay the same. A certain percentage of players will HAVE to go to the smaller schools. Just like now.
    Yes, though the P4 seem to be favoring transfers over inexperienced HS kids. That could mean far more talented but unproven HS kids available.

Example : Miami just signed Albany's QB. That's likely one less talented HS kid they try to develop.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sferring-miami

Its remarkable we haven't lost Cam yet. He could probably find a nice payday elsewhere if he wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    We did manage to keep at least one player who apparently had P4 dollars on the table. Of course he has a family and come Jan 15 he’ll be in Florida or California for pre-draft training no matter what and then relocating again in May. Everyone’s situation is different and we won’t win them all. The collective gives us a chip and a chair when it comes to the retaining even the elite guys, and we’re in the hand with good odds and the rest instead of watching from the gallery.
    I would argue we can fend off any team for a QB and offensive lineman. It's simple math. We have 3 NFL QBs. One started at NDSU for 1 year. The other started for 1 -1/2 years. 2 First round picks. Combined they have made 170 million in salaries... so far

Switching teams means you have to A) win the job and B) learn a whole new offense. The NFL QB money is what good QBs are eyeing. Not a short term payout. UND's QB is going to Michigan State to run the practice squad

Same is true of offensive lineman where we have 5 NFL starters, mostly 2nd to 4th round picks. All are millionaires, lead by Billy Turner who has earned 32 million so far. The offensive line is typically not an easy learning process

Future NFL players at those positions are a lock

It's the skill positions I worry more about although having Christian Watson and Hunter Luepke on NFL rosters helps

I mean we got 3 active NFL QBs, a RB, 5 OL, and a WR. We could damn near trot out a full active Bison NFL offense. If Ben Ellefson wouldnt have gotten injured, we would have a TE too
    Last edited by HerdBot; 01-09-2024 at 12:25 AM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Some (many?) of the P4 are now emphasizing "proven" transfers over taking HS kids that haven't played college ball yet. The top schools are using transfers sort of like a farm system. Its evolving similar to NFL, and you might someday see college kids turning down NFL offers to play for P4 teams.

Won't surprise me if they eventually stop capping years of eligibility, and just allow anyone enrolled in a basket weaving class to play. P4 is thinly disguised pro ball now at the top. Might end up being what the USFL/XFL/UFL have been trying to become.
    If a team was going to sign 20 HS kids before, and they now also lose 20 transfers, that's 40 scholarships they have available. Unless they sign more than 20 transfers they still have 20 scholarships for high school kids.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know most of this conversation centers around football and, to a lesser but still significant extent, basketball. But how has it affected baseball? Curious because of the three-year (?) commitment that baseball players have to make it they go the college route.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I would argue we can fend off any team for a QB and offensive lineman. It's simple math. We have 3 NFL QBs. One started at NDSU for 1 year. The other started for 1 -1/2 years. 2 First round picks. Combined they have made 170 million in salaries... so far

Switching teams means you have to A) win the job and B) learn a whole new offense. The NFL QB money is what good QBs are eyeing. Not a short term payout. UND's QB is going to Michigan State to run the practice squad

Same is true of offensive lineman where we have 5 NFL starters, mostly 2nd to 4th round picks. All are millionaires, lead by Billy Turner who has earned 32 million so far. The offensive line is typically not an easy learning process

Future NFL players at those positions are a lock

It's the skill positions I worry more about although having Christian Watson and Hunter Luepke on NFL rosters helps

I mean we got 3 active NFL QBs, a RB, 5 OL, and a WR. We could damn near trot out a full active Bison NFL offense. If Ben Ellefson wouldnt have gotten injured, we would have a TE too
    This has yet to happen, obviously, but I wonder how much longer Lincoln Kienholz lasts at Ohio State? Yes, McCord is gone, but Brown is coming back, Will Howard is transferring over from K-State, and they have a high 4-star QB (#31 player overall in the ESPN 300) who signed last month, which potentially puts him as the #3 going into next year and muddies his path for any playing time. With us being in his "final three" coming out of HS in Pierre, would he be a potential target, assuming he ever enters the portal, or would his NIL ask be way too high, considering what he's getting now in Columbus.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot