Page 87 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    At least the arms race is typically privately funded. I dont actually have a problem with NIL if there are limits and oversight. Unfortunately its gone from letting a star QB do a TV commercial to paying everyone for merely existing. With that being said, we have to do it to be competitive. Sad but true
    . There is a simple solution. Ban collectives. Also require that if a student athlete is paid for NIL services the payment has to be reasonable (I know good luck with that). At least, no payment allowed unless some service, outside of playing their game, is provided.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    . There is a simple solution. Ban collectives. Also require that if a student athlete is paid for NIL services the payment has to be reasonable (I know good luck with that). At least, no payment allowed unless some service, outside of playing their game, is provided.
    That seems reasonable. I always liked the idea of a collective where a player can opt in and in return, they have to promote products on social media. Maybe share content. Example: Scheels (or pick your company) pays 100 players x 1 grand each to promote products. That's 100K but you get 100 players all sharing content, videos, etc... That's one heck of a successful social media campaign. The reach could be in the millions. Maybe groups of players could participate in store promotions.

But someone has to form the collective first. Apparently most people don't understand that NDSU can't form one and it will take someone like Lakes to start it up. I don't know if TM can do it but they probably don't want anything to do with it

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Collectives at least provide some slight form of accountability and consolidation of funds. Eliminating them would just create the wild west on barn meth.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Collectives at least provide some slight form of accountability and consolidation of funds. Eliminating them would just create the wild west on barn meth.
    Fair point.

Unless it's a non profit, I don't think there is any public accountability. Private businesses are not obligated to share any business info. Really its just issuing 1099s

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

In the end, all of this should shake out. The best players will end up at the p5 schools and those that can't make it at that level will scale down. It just doesn't happen instantly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    In the end, all of this should shake out. The best players will end up at the p5 schools and those that can't make it at that level will scale down. It just doesn't happen instantly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Things are extra jacked up right now because of the COVID year. Everyone has extra scholarships roster spots and eligibility but there isn’t any additional playing time to distribute.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    This is exactly why the NCAA wanted to avoid this. It would be impossible to monitor which is what is happening. I didn't expect it to get this crazy this fast. It's merely a signing bonus. Even if you required a service, you could say Johnny QB is appearing on our behalf at a local event for a $2m fee.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    This is exactly why the NCAA wanted to avoid this. It would be impossible to monitor which is what is happening. I didn't expect it to get this crazy this fast. It's merely a signing bonus. Even if you required a service, you could say Johnny QB is appearing on our behalf at a local event for a $2m fee.

Yeah, sure, that’s what the NCAA was worried about. Give me a break. There is a very simple way to stop no show jobs from boosters. Pay the players what they are worth of the work that they do.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Yeah, sure, that’s what the NCAA was worried about. Give me a break. There is a very simple way to stop no show jobs from boosters. Pay the players what they are worth of the work that they do.
    Didn’t el chapo apply? They didn’t hire him and now we still suck cause he has all the answers😢😢

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

That ain't how it's gonna go though.

If the rumors were true, Oregon promised a Notre Dame (5 star) $2 million to sign last minute. He flipped, and then when he wanted the money...they got wishy washy. Turns out the money was not there for signing.

Florida QB just decommitted after finding out he wasn't getting the money promised either.

I'm pretty sure it will settle down. No teams that have paid out the nose so far to get kids have worked out.
    College of Business Alumnus