Page 45 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Is Talbert eligible for another year?
    No, he was a super senior this year. That's 6 of the top 7 DBs from last year's team gone. Jayden Price is the only one who will be back *knockonwood*.

You guys realize we relentlessly mocked teams like Misery State and the University of Sam Houston for building transfer teams that then got utterly stomped by us right?

I really don't think we can "play the same game" and win at the level we're used to.

We somehow have to build cohesion in a time of the portal. And that's going to take real culture, tradition and standards that I think are just lacking with the current regime.

NIL bucks also wouldn't hurt.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

The transfer rule has changed since, what, 2017? 2018?… we’ve not lost players like this since this year (Hayes 2 years ago the exception)… whether or not we are catching up to what the rest of the FCS has been experiencing, something has changed at NDSU in the last 2 years. Don’t like it… don’t like it one bit…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    You guys realize we relentlessly mocked teams like Misery State and the University of Sam Houston for building transfer teams that then got utterly stomped by us right?

I really don't think we can "play the same game" and win at the level we're used to.

We somehow have to build cohesion in a time of the portal. And that's going to take real culture, tradition and standards that I think are just lacking with the current regime.

We can at certain positions. Corner and Safety has been a spot we have filled with young or new players. Whether it's Grimsley, Eubanks, or Bridges moving positions before the JMU game. Andre Martin was a transfer and a huge contributor with only 1 year. Chad Wilson played right away. John Pike. Those are ones that come to mind

Now if you're talking about positions like WR, MLB or the O-line...

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Sure, that is at least more on point. He seemed to be insinuating it was almost a sort planned and directly targeted move. The ones who pushed had and have zero concern for what the consequences were to anyone below them. G5, FCS, D2, they don't care.

On one hand, it sucks, particularly as fans. On the other hand, tough to fault the players, especially when the coach who recruited you can pick up and leave to a different school at any point in time (like Braun and Eubanks/Jones). Why shouldn't a player have similar options? That being said, I don't think there is much argument that the transfer portal and NIL could probably use some reigning in.
    That's the problem, there is some fairness about the entire thing. Locking kids in for their 4/5 years without a change when they don't get a second chance at eligibility is certainly unfair, especially as coaches can change/move with impunity. It sounds like they are considering adding a rule that allows 1 'free' transfer to kind of calm the whole thing. Probably doesn't change much for *most* programs/kids, but it does probably put some finality into the decision vs being able to jump around if your first transfer doesn't turn out. Kids might think twice about doing it if it might be their last chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Yep, culture is missing, see below.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    The transfer rule has changed since, what, 2017? 2018?… we’ve not lost players like this since this year (Hayes 2 years ago the exception)… whether or not we are catching up to what the rest of the FCS has been experiencing, something has changed at NDSU in the last 2 years. Don’t like it… don’t like it one bit…
    Culture just isn't there right now. Who is our leader? Say what you want about our past QBs play on the field...but their leadership was probably as much or more important. I think that is what is missing with Cam - he doesn't seem to be oozing with leadership ability like our past signal callers.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    We can at certain positions. Corner and Safety has been a spot we have filled with young or new players. Whether it's Grimsley, Eubanks, or Bridges moving positions before the JMU game. Andre Martin was a transfer and a huge contributor with only 1 year. Chad Wilson played right away. John Pike. Those are ones that come to mind

Now if you're talking about positions like WR, MLB or the O-line...
    Chad Willson played LB so...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

It sorta feels to me like the shift in culture may be the result of lack of player leadership. I asked early in the year who were the alpha dog leaders on this team and I still don't know. Locker room leadership may be the weak link that used to keep the transfers to a minimum. No proof but things just feel off.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    No, he was a super senior this year. That's 6 of the top 7 DBs from last year's team gone. Jayden Price is the only one who will be back *knockonwood*.
    He only played 5 years I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    That's the problem, there is some fairness about the entire thing. Locking kids in for their 4/5 years without a change when they don't get a second chance at eligibility is certainly unfair, especially as coaches can change/move with impunity. It sounds like they are considering adding a rule that allows 1 'free' transfer to kind of calm the whole thing. Probably doesn't change much for *most* programs/kids, but it does probably put some finality into the decision vs being able to jump around if your first transfer doesn't turn out. Kids might think twice about doing it if it might be their last chance.

Yep, culture is missing, see below.

Culture just isn't there right now. Who is our leader? Say what you want about our past QBs play on the field...but their leadership was probably as much or more important. I think that is what is missing with Cam - he doesn't seem to be oozing with leadership ability like our past signal callers.
    NFL caliber skills on the field will make anyones "leadership" look elite to a fan sitting in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    It sorta feels to me like the shift in culture may be the result of lack of player leadership. I asked early in the year who were the alpha dog leaders on this team and I still don't know. Locker room leadership may be the weak link that used to keep the transfers to a minimum. No proof but things just feel off.
    More about FBS and NIL deals then leadership IMO. These kids want a shot at the money and no amount of leadership is going to stop it. I get it, it sucks but it is what it is and we need to adapt. Time for an NIL collective for NDSU and a push for FBS by the big dollar boosters. Need somebody to step up to the plate.