Page 89 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Then what happens to schools that can't afford the new arms race?
    Just accept the leftovers and hope to win a game or two?

The real issue is competitive parity. That's why pro teams typically have spending caps.
    Right now we have semi-pro college football with no caps.
    I agree with this. But I don’t know how one would unravel this mess at this point. Either it will stink forever or something will blow up.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

The real issue is competitive parity. That's why pro teams typically have spending caps.
    Might help parity at the top actually. For 20 years, it's been the SEC and then everyone else.

Those schools that can't afford the arms race, couldn't afford it before this.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I agree with this. But I don’t know how one would unravel this mess at this point. Either it will stink forever or something will blow up.
    Absolutely, it will get to the point where everyone, including the P5 schools, is wretching so bad from the stink that some entity more powerful than the P5 (for some of you, that's hard to believe that animal exists) , will step in to put the hammer down on this shit show to restore some semblance of sanity.

Players won’t only go to where they get paid the most they will also go to where they get paid and can play. Evaluations will remain imperfect. Development will still be a thing. Institutions will only pay so much for potential talent that is blocked from seeing the field. If every player is a free agent every year that is the opposite of sacristy which will suppress bidding wars, etc.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Players won’t only go to where they get paid the most they will also go to where they get paid and can play. Evaluations will remain imperfect. Development will still be a thing. Institutions will only pay so much for potential talent that is blocked from seeing the field. If every player is a free agent every year that is the opposite of sacristy which will suppress bidding wars, etc.
    That seems to rely on market inefficiencies to provide competitive balance.

In a perfectly efficient market, schools spending more will have equal or better recruiting/evaluation and development organizations. The P5 spend large amounts in those areas as well. An efficient fluid marketplace of talent would likely result in the best players landing at the top spenders, and sorted downwards by spending level.

I believe NIL plus the Portal has started to make this happen. Sure, it may not be perfectly efficient, but what we are now seeing is more talented players move upwards, and less talented players move downwards. A schools player talent will increasingly correspond to how much money they can spend.

We could probably play that game to a degree, and offering things like FCOA works well at the FCS level when few other schools do it. At the P5 level the money being spent is an order of magnitude more than the G5 spend. I don’t see a way for the G5 to be competitively relevant without changes. They are getting crushed by this.

In a perfectly efficient market, schools spending more will have equal or better recruiting/evaluation and development organizations. The P5 spend large amounts in those areas as well. An efficient fluid marketplace of talent would likely result in the best players landing at the top spenders, and sorted downwards by spending level.

I believe NIL plus the Portal has started to make this happen. Sure, it may not be perfectly efficient, but what we are now seeing is more talented players move upwards, and less talented players move downwards. A schools player talent will increasingly correspond to how much money they can spend.

We could probably play that game to a degree, and offering things like FCOA works well at the FCS level when few other schools do it. At the P5 level the money being spent is an order of magnitude more than the G5 spend. I don’t see a way for the G5 to be competitively relevant without changes. They are getting crushed by this.
    For what it's worth, G5 was getting crushed before NIL. It certainly isn't going to help, but it's not as if anything has really changed with the G5 schools.

As far as the inefficient market point you made. There's 100 reasons a kid picks a school. Money is going to be a major factor but so is playing time, fit with coaches, proximity to home or a million other things. If kids are going to go to a school knowingly to ride the bench and never play, I'm not sure they're really coming out ahead there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

I guess I’d say “imperfect information” rather than market inefficiency. Also, regarding playing time and other considerations those aren’t market inefficiencies they’re multiple markets acting simultaneously.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Absolutely, it will get to the point where everyone, including the P5 schools, is wretching so bad from the stink that some entity more powerful than the P5 (for some of you, that's hard to believe that animal exists) , will step in to put the hammer down on this shit show to restore some semblance of sanity.
    I’m more inclined to believe it will just suck balls forever.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I’m more inclined to believe it will just suck balls forever.
    You truly are a master of the English language.*

*We are in agreement.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by thunderingherd View Post
    Might help parity at the top actually. For 20 years, it's been the SEC and then everyone else.

Those schools that can't afford the arms race, couldn't afford it before this.
    How many teams in P5 conferences have had a legitimate hope for winning a national championship in the last 20 years? Even in the Big Ten conference race it's usually just Ohio State and maybe Michigan or Penn State.
    It's OK to not be OK.