Page 114 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    may 15th cant come soon enough!
    You're right, fishing should be good by then!
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    hey bro u see that yoga pants girl on twitter that is causing a libertarian party civil war or are you still just hanging out with the crypto libertarians in the GOP?
    I haven't been on twitter much. I was getting 5 to 10 bots per day fucking with my feeds and/or following me and I'm tired of seeing musk's tweets even though I keep unfollowing him.

I have largely avoided politics for the past few months. I know where I stand, and I know that 99% of the country stands way further left than me. I know I'll never change anyone's mind either.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    A couple counter points. 2% (or some similar crazy number) of college football players get professional contracts. Not a great job placement rate in their field. Very few are using this as a platform to an NFL contract or any other level of professional.

People often use that example of students in other disciplines being able to make significant money. The difference is they are getting that for something they've actually accomplished. Not to agree to attend a specific university with the potential of what they may do. That's where this system is flawed. It's not truly NIL. It's a signing bonus paid by someone outside the university to get you to attend their preferred university. That's just messed up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    All the more reason why it makes sense to allow players to make moves to improve their chances.

Is that really much different than sponsorship money at the pro level? I'd imagine the sponsors and the money they can throw at individuals, at some point, influence where players potentially end up.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    All the more reason why it makes sense to allow players to make moves to improve their chances.

Is that really much different than sponsorship money at the pro level? I'd imagine the sponsors and the money they can throw at individuals, at some point, influence where players potentially end up.
    98% of the players in the transfer portal aren't going pro regardless of where they play. Most are looking for a place to get more playing time. I get that. Some are hoping to move up, and most don't.

Yes, it's very different from sponsorship deals. They are tied to going to a specific school and come from either a company with ties to that school or collectives tied to that school. NIL was pitched as an idea for a player to get paid to work for a company, be a spokesperson, make appearances, sell autographs or jerseys, etc. That's not what it is at all. They're are some conditions of the player on some of them, but they are signing bonuses for specific schools. Jalen Hurts is getting $x from Nike whether he plays for the Eagles or Titans.

98% of the players in the transfer portal aren't going pro regardless of where they play. Most are looking for a place to get more playing time. I get that. Some are hoping to move up, and most don't.

Yes, it's very different from sponsorship deals. They are tied to going to a specific school and come from either a company with ties to that school or collectives tied to that school. NIL was pitched as an idea for a player to get paid to work for a company, be a spokesperson, make appearances, sell autographs or jerseys, etc. That's not what it is at all. They're are some conditions of the player on some of them, but they are signing bonuses for specific schools. Jalen Hurts is getting $x from Nike whether he plays for the Eagles or Titans.

Sure, but you can't tell me that some brands won't sign a player to a sponsorship deal if they are trying to generate market share in a locale. Maybe Nike doesn't care, but not every sponsor is a huge multinational either. I realize it's not AS big of factor, but I'd assume it can be a factor at times.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    dam you guys!! i get excited every time this bumps...... then I open it and it's Princess Kevin talk from TAB.. wtf man.
    Now you know what it’s like clicking on the FBS threads……

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    Sure, but you can't tell me that some brands won't sign a player to a sponsorship deal if they are trying to generate market share in a locale. Maybe Nike doesn't care, but not every sponsor is a huge multinational either. I realize it's not AS big of factor, but I'd assume it can be a factor at times.
    Most definitely. But they are signing them contingent on them signing with a particular school. Otherwise, why do you offer before they've signed the NLI? What you are describing would occur if they sign Cody Mauch after he been in Fargo for a couple years and a key starter. That's not where this money is being spent at most schools.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Most definitely. But they are signing them contingent on them signing with a particular school. Otherwise, why do you offer before they've signed the NLI? What you are describing would occur if they sign Cody Mauch after he been in Fargo for a couple years and a key starter. That's not where this money is being spent at most schools.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/2...tions-nil-ncaa

NCAA gives a wrist slap for first NIL violation enforcement, seem to suggest they will go further in future.
    NIL was never meant to be used for recruiting, but how far they go to stop it isn't clear yet.

As of Jan 1, they "can now use circumstantial evidence (like a tip or news story) instead of on-record sourcing to presume a school violated NCAA rules." The Cavinder case predated this new rule.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/3...investigations

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/2...tions-nil-ncaa

NCAA gives a wrist slap for first NIL violation enforcement, seem to suggest they will go further in future.
    NIL was never meant to be used for recruiting, but how far they go to stop it isn't clear yet.

As of Jan 1, they "can now use circumstantial evidence (like a tip or news story) instead of on-record sourcing to presume a school violated NCAA rules." The Cavinder case predated this new rule.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/3...investigations
    Typical, go after WBB and maybe baseball given the Tenn situation and the people who make them money skate.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Typical, go after WBB and maybe baseball given the Tenn situation and the people who make them money skate.
    I think they go after football eventually, but probably some FCS or high level G5 program that starts to encroach on the power schools. They are said to have at least a dozen cases pending.

Maybe they hit up Jackson St, Campbell, Tulane or UTSA for instance.
    Campbell has been landing high level recruits, somehow. It smells fishy.

Don’t think they have the guts to go after Colorado, USC or Texas A&M yet