Page 86 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Bot, wake up. The NCAA isn't there to enforce the rules. The NCAA is there to enforce the rules that the powerful members want. This is nothing new and has been going on for decades. In this instance, the NCAA is just going to say that the schools you know, can't pay the players because you know it's amateur, but oh wait the boosters can do whatever they want that's fine. Just powerful enough to keep themselves from accountability, not powerful enough to hold themselves accountable. Hell of a setup.

SMU gets the death penalty, while UT, OU and the rest of the Southwest Conference get off scot free.
    UNC gets a slap on the wrist for athletic department-wide academic cheating.
    Bill Self gets caught knee deep in an illegal (not like against NCAA rules illegal, like federal RICO conspiracy illegal) scheme that involved a major non-US company and fundamentally undermined competition in recruiting across D1. What did he sit out a couple games and that's it?
    Lets see how everyone likes it when the middle to bottom half of the P5 starts getting gutted. See how happy PJ Fleck is when Ohio State takes his 2 best players every year. Or when Georgia takes K-States starting QB. It's not going to end well. The G5 schools will get gutted. You will see practice squads that would be a solid G5 team

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Lets see how everyone likes it when the middle to bottom half of the P5 starts getting gutted. See how happy PJ Fleck is when Ohio State takes his 2 best players every year. Or when Georgia takes K-States starting QB. It's not going to end well. The G5 schools will get gutted. You will see practice squads that would be a solid G5 team
    Adapt or die.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It is what it is. They tried to make it a business while calling it amateurism as long as they could. Unless people come to the realization that they're paying a bunch of 18-20 year olds a ridiculous amount of money to go try and put a ball across a line on a field we'll be stuck. Just sad. When you think about all of the money and time that gets spent on college sports these days you come to realize what a waste it all is. Long gone are the days of just driving down to the stadium, paying $10 to watch a game for 3 hours and getting on with your life. The kids, administrators, coaches, fans, etc. spend all this time for a ball to go through a hoop or cross a goal line lol. I think these recent changes are starting to have folks like me realize how ridiculous it has all gotten.

College athletics is an interesting topic to argue about though. Most topics these day are so binary (yes/no, blue/red, etc.) that the spectrum on this is overwhelming. I can make the argument that schools shouldn't be allowed to actively recruit high schoolers while I also make the argument that kids should get paid as much as people are willing to pay. And every single fan will have a different opinion somewhere on the spectrum between.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

It is what it is. They tried to make it a business while calling it amateurism as long as they could. Unless people come to the realization that they're paying a bunch of 18-20 year olds a ridiculous amount of money to go try and put a ball across a line on a field we'll be stuck. Just sad. When you think about all of the money and time that gets spent on college sports these days you come to realize what a waste it all is. Long gone are the days of just driving down to the stadium, paying $10 to watch a game for 3 hours and getting on with your life. The kids, administrators, coaches, fans, etc. spend all this time for a ball to go through a hoop or cross a goal line lol. I think these recent changes are starting to have folks like me realize how ridiculous it has all gotten.

College athletics is an interesting topic to argue about though. Most topics these day are so binary (yes/no, blue/red, etc.) that the spectrum on this is overwhelming. I can make the argument that schools shouldn't be allowed to actively recruit high schoolers while I also make the argument that kids should get paid as much as people are willing to pay. And every single fan will have a different opinion somewhere on the spectrum between.
    I think most issues are like that they just get reduced to false binaries by slingers of bullshit with to many hours to fill.

You would think that 24 networks for news sports or whatever would actually encourage depth, subtlety and nuanced takes. Turns out they’re just the same 30 minute Sesame Street episode played on a loop all day.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think most issues are like that they just get reduced to false binaries by slingers of bullshit with to many hours to fill.

You would think that 24 networks for news sports or whatever would actually encourage depth, subtlety and nuanced takes. Turns out they’re just the same 30 minute Sesame Street episode played on a loop all day.
    Very fair points. Definitely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

I think these recent changes are starting to have folks like me realize how ridiculous it has all gotten.
    We can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    You would think that 24 networks for news sports or whatever would actually encourage depth, subtlety and nuanced takes.
    You used a word that no longer happens.

Don Henley warned us 40+ years ago ... "see the bubble-headed bleach blonde that comes on at five ... "

It's been ridiculous for a long time with the arms race on which schools can build the best athlete lounges, locker rooms, practice facilities, ect.

All kinds of entertainers get paid large sums of money to play sports, appear in movies/TV, or perform in concert because there is a big demand and a small supply of top-notch talent. I just wonder how long some donors will keep giving to collectives if all they get in return is a 7-4 season and a lower tier bowl game.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It's been ridiculous for a long time with the arms race on which schools can build the best athlete lounges, locker rooms, practice facilities, ect.

All kinds of entertainers get paid large sums of money to play sports, appear in movies/TV, or perform in concert because there is a big demand and a small supply of top-notch talent. I just wonder how long some donors will keep giving to collectives if all they get in return is a 7-4 season and a lower tier bowl game.
    Interesting way to phrase it. I donate to NDSU athletics not to 'get' something, but to give something, because I want to see it continue to grow and succeed, and where the last word has a myriad of definitions (only one of which involves playing another FCS team in Frisco TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

At least the arms race is typically privately funded. I dont actually have a problem with NIL if there are limits and oversight. Unfortunately its gone from letting a star QB do a TV commercial to paying everyone for merely existing. With that being said, we have to do it to be competitive. Sad but true

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com