Page 166 of 175 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1742

Thread: Transfer Portal

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by MyOhMy View Post
    I will say most of my friends' kids (recent and soon to be graduates) have almost all gone down or are going down to USD instead of SDSU (a couple are at LATC), whether that's because they didn't like Brookings or just wanted to be below the snow line down in Vermillion I'm not 100% sure but it's a small anecdote anyway...
    USD is a fine school and there are plenty of students that attend there. Always has been, always will be. However, SDSU has always had about 1500-2000 more total enrollment than USD and they definitely have a ways to go to catch SDSU in terms of athletics. If you think Brookings is a deterrent to enrollment, Vermillion is worse. The law school and medical schools give it a leg up over SDSU but outside of that there really isn't anything that would lead me to believe that the tides are turning in terms of enrollment or fanbase growth. SDSU has much more upside than USD and it would take something very significant to change that. As Prof. Chaos mentioned, that would definitely be different in my opinion if USD would have been located in or near Rapid City. I think they definitely would be a much more exciting spot for potential students to attend and the enrollment and private investment would reflect that.

Default Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Wasn’t discussed at all. I’m one of one as NDSU alums in the family so I just left it alone. Not much needed to be said. However after all those years of second fiddle they absolutely are empowered to bring it up every time I see them. Annoying is an understatement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just need to carry a picture of each trophy room with you and pull those out when the subject comes up. I work with a bunch of Bunny alum and when they start to rub it in lately, I remind them that once they win 6 in a row or 10 in FCS, thats when they can rub in. I usually hear, “touché.”

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo(2) View Post
    Just need to carry a picture of each trophy room with you and pull those out when the subject comes up. I work with a bunch of Bunny alum and when they start to rub it in lately, I remind them that once they win 6 in a row or 10 in FCS, thats when they can rub in. I usually hear, “touché.”

Good comeback.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    There is not a school in the Valley that can sustain paying $1.2m per year to do that.
    Chump change in FBS.

Could spend $1.2m, and end up with lesser talent than we've had in the past.
    Feels like a losing battle if we are trying to buy players. Need to find hidden gems and develop them.
    Recruit the top high school kids getting passed over for transfers now.

650k + house + car for just a Defensive End at Texas A&M.

https://x.com/bluebloodsbias/status/...425877683?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Chump change in FBS.

Could spend $1.2m, and end up with lesser talent than we've had in the past.
    Feels like a losing battle if we are trying to buy players. Need to find hidden gems and develop them.
    Recruit the top high school kids getting passed over for transfers now.

650k + house + car for just a Defensive End at Texas A&M.

https://x.com/bluebloodsbias/status/...425877683?s=20
    I think historically we've been good at this. But hanging on to those developed players when they really start making an impact has gotten harder with NIL. I don't know what the answer is. I makes it really hard for the guys running the programs. Seems like some kind of magic to me to be able to keep developed kids and also use the portal to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by PlrbrBison View Post
    I think historically we've been good at this. But hanging on to those developed players when they really start making an impact has gotten harder with NIL. I don't know what the answer is. I makes it really hard for the guys running the programs. Seems like some kind of magic to me to be able to keep developed kids and also use the portal to your advantage.
    In ten years, I want to look back at all of this and have a perspective on how this all played out. Even though the transfer portal, etc. is the new reality, more and more money is being thrown at this. I don't know where it is going to end, and what happens if there is burnout on donors, too.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    In ten years, I want to look back at all of this and have a perspective on how this all played out. Even though the transfer portal, etc. is the new reality, more and more money is being thrown at this. I don't know where it is going to end, and what happens if there is burnout on donors, too.
    Great point. There are so many WONDERFUL and deserving charities out there that it may be very easy to become jaded with the whole NIL scene and give elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo(2) View Post

. I use the '17 is greater than 2' line. They have no idea what I'm talking about... because they have no history.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

And my comment is not reflecting on the Green and Gold Collective or anything NDSU is doing to work with the new reality. (The G&G is doing a wonderful job). It is a reflection of all football programs across the country, having to look over your shoulder, so to speak, trying to gauge money amounts, wondering how to keep kids in your own program, what happens if there is money "creep." At some point, will $100K not be enough... If there is such a thing as Bison Fatigue, there is Portal Fatigue - maybe even Exhaustion.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And my comment is not reflecting on the Green and Gold Collective or anything NDSU is doing to work with the new reality. (The G&G is doing a wonderful job). It is a reflection of all football programs across the country, having to look over your shoulder, so to speak, trying to gauge money amounts, wondering how to keep kids in your own program, what happens if there is money "creep." At some point, will $100K not be enough... If there is such a thing as Bison Fatigue, there is Portal Fatigue - maybe even Exhaustion.
    Operating this year to year is not sustainable without the TV revenue sharing. The big schools are starting to realize this.