Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: SIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SIU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Anyone think YSU has a shot? One of their losses was to Kentucky.
    Herder has them as a bubble at #31.

Crazy to think MVFC might only get 3 teams in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

Not really... it's possible the MVFC could only get 2. I don't think UND is a lock at 7-4 either. If Montana and UC Davis win the Big Sky could get as many as 6. If Delaware and UNH win the CAA probably gets 5. If Mercer wins the SOCON probably gets 4. On top of that the stupid OVC autobid is going to come down to a coin flip between SEMO (who will get in at 9-2 regardless) and UTM (who at 7-4 would have no shot at an at-large) so if UTM wins that coin flip (administered by the OVC) then that pushes another team off the bubble. There's probably not going to be much room left for additional MVFC teams.

This was evident in September though when the MVFC was losing games they typically don't OOC like SIU losing to Incarnate Word and SEMO and UNI losing to Sac St (only one FBS win as a conference too and that's going to be wasted by SIU).

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

They have a shot, but Id guess theyre on the outside looking in. There's going to be some decent teams not getting in it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Holy hell for a cake walk for the bunnies to the Semis.
    i'll lol when they get WORDED to HELL.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Here is Herder's bracket...which is a bit more reasonable.

Attachment 10058
    cbline approves this message.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    NDSU on bad beats! But to show we gave up points to SIU so that they covered…
    Yep, I got hit on that one. I was so pissed when they converted the 4th down as I thought I had it.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Not really... it's possible the MVFC could only get 2. I don't think UND is a lock at 7-4 either. If Montana and UC Davis win the Big Sky could get as many as 6. If Delaware and UNH win the CAA probably gets 5. If Mercer wins the SOCON probably gets 4. On top of that the stupid OVC autobid is going to come down to a coin flip between SEMO (who will get in at 9-2 regardless) and UTM (who at 7-4 would have no shot at an at-large) so if UTM wins that coin flip (administered by the OVC) then that pushes another team off the bubble. There's probably not going to be much room left for additional MVFC teams.

This was evident in September though when the MVFC was losing games they typically don't OOC like SIU losing to Incarnate Word and SEMO and UNI losing to Sac St (only one FBS win as a conference too and that's going to be wasted by SIU).
    I really don't think the difference is as big as people seem to think it is between the MVFC and BSC. And for what it's worth, Sagarin rates the MVFC above the Big Sky by about 2 points when looking at them as a whole.

Here's the MVFC OOC record:
    SDSU 2-0 (UC Davis, Butler)
    NDSU 2-0 (Drake, NCA&T)
    UND 2-0 (NAU, Abilene Christian)
    Youngstown 2-0 FCS (Duquesne, Dayton)
    Illinois State 2-0 FCS (Valpo, EIU)
    Missouri State 2-0 FCS (UCA, UT Martin)
    USD 1-1 FCS (Cal Poly W, Montana L)
    UNI 1-1 (Sac State L, Utah Tech W)
    ISU-Blue 1-1 (North Alabama W, Montana L)
    SIU 0-2 FCS / FBS win (IWU L, SEMO L, Northwestern W)
    Western Illinois 0-2 FCS (UT Martin L, SUU L)

15-7
    ASUN: 2-0
    Big Sky: 3-4
    Big South: 1-0
    NEC: 1-0
    OVC: 2-2
    Pioneer: 4-0
    WAC: 2-0
    Southland: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    I really don't think the difference is as big as people seem to think it is between the MVFC and BSC. And for what it's worth, Sagarin rates the MVFC above the Big Sky by about 2 points when looking at them as a whole.

Here's the MVFC OOC record:
    SDSU 2-0 (UC Davis, Butler)
    NDSU 2-0 (Drake, NCA&T)
    UND 2-0 (NAU, Abilene Christian)
    Youngstown 2-0 FCS (Duquesne, Dayton)
    Illinois State 2-0 FCS (Valpo, EIU)
    Missouri State 2-0 FCS (UCA, UT Martin)
    USD 1-1 FCS (Cal Poly W, Montana L)
    UNI 1-1 (Sac State L, Utah Tech W)
    ISU-Blue 1-1 (North Alabama W, Montana L)
    SIU 0-2 FCS / FBS win (IWU L, SEMO L, Northwestern W)
    Western Illinois 0-2 FCS (UT Martin L, SUU L)

15-7
    ASUN: 2-0
    Big Sky: 3-4
    Big South: 1-0
    NEC: 1-0
    OVC: 2-2
    Pioneer: 4-0
    WAC: 2-0
    Southland: 0-1
    I don't either it's just that the Big Sky hasn't spread wins around as much in the middle of the conference standings as the MVFC has. Same with the CAA and SOCON. There's a clear top 6 in the Big Sky, there's a clear top 6 in the CAA, and there's a clear top 4 in the SOCON. In the MVFC there's a clear top 2 and, for now, UND has separated as #3 but after that there's a mess between YSU, SIU, Illinois St, and UNI. If anyone in that group had an extra win or two, especially UNI and SIU for the games I mentioned (since those would've knocked down playoff contenders from other conferences), the MVFC might be looking at another 4 or 5 playoff bid year.

It's frustrating for SDSU, NDSU, and UND to have those 4 middling MVFC teams lumped in with all the garbage non-playoff teams from the Big Sky, CAA, and SOCON that have padded the win totals for playoff contending teams in those leagues. UNI and SIU would wipe the field with Portland St or Monmouth or Western Carolina but there's not much beyond computer rankings to differentiate them from those teams right now so, despite the SOS numbers looking strong for the MVFC teams, it's easy to poke holes in their playoff resumes when it comes to seeding or at-large selection because of the lack of playoff contenders in the conference.