Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. Southern Illinois

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'll see if I can find them. Both of those fouls are always judgement calls. Some are more obvious than others. Thanks for the time of game so I can find them easier.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Sorry for abusing your kindness and assuming you'd go out of your way to look at them for me

I've now emotionally cooled down enough that if I don't like your response I won't be too upset with you. Joking aside, if the teams were flipped my reaction on both would've been "wow we really got away with one there" - usually how I try to remove some of my emotional bias when being upset with a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

On the DPI there are probably two categories that could fall into. The first is arm grab and the second is early contact not playing the ball. Both involve timing. On the live feed the contact into the legs may have been timed right so that may not apply. The arm bar is clearly before the ball arrives. If she passed because it was uncatchable she would have signaled such. We don't see if she does that. Uncatchable is rarely called because these guys are freak athletes. I don't think they would release uncatchable here.

The other part to consider here is angles. The covering officials on this play are the H and S on the sideline and the B deep in the middle. In this situation it's possible they were all shielded fun that grab. If only one arm goes up on a pass like this they may assume the other one is grabbed by that can be risky. The only angle the crew doesn't have on this is the one the camera has. We are taught to not reach for your flag unless you are going to throw it exactly for this reason. Coaches see it and you now have legitimate questions to answer. On plays like this is best to play it again in your brain to process what you saw. That's why the flag often comes a little "late." From a timing standpoint it's hard for the S to have good depth on timing on a play like this because she's straightlined. The H and B have good angles for timing.

Since none of these 3 can see the arm grab they were probably more focused on the contact into the legs and that was much closer to the timing of the ball going over the receiver and too bang bang to flag. The grader would have these video angles and felt the arm grab was a foul or the lower contact was early they likely give a downgrade to all 3. And the S probably gets a mechanics downgrade for the grab but no pull.

On the DPI there are probably two categories that could fall into. The first is arm grab and the second is early contact not playing the ball. Both involve timing. On the live feed the contact into the legs may have been timed right so that may not apply. The arm bar is clearly before the ball arrives. If she passed because it was uncatchable she would have signaled such. We don't see if she does that. Uncatchable is rarely called because these guys are freak athletes. I don't think they would release uncatchable here.

The other part to consider here is angles. The covering officials on this play are the H and S on the sideline and the B deep in the middle. In this situation it's possible they were all shielded fun that grab. If only one arm goes up on a pass like this they may assume the other one is grabbed by that can be risky. The only angle the crew doesn't have on this is the one the camera has. We are taught to not reach for your flag unless you are going to throw it exactly for this reason. Coaches see it and you now have legitimate questions to answer. On plays like this is best to play it again in your brain to process what you saw. That's why the flag often comes a little "late." From a timing standpoint it's hard for the S to have good depth on timing on a play like this because she's straightlined. The H and B have good angles for timing.

Since none of these 3 can see the arm grab they were probably more focused on the contact into the legs and that was much closer to the timing of the ball going over the receiver and too bang bang to flag. The grader would have these video angles and felt the arm grab was a foul or the lower contact was early they likely give a downgrade to all 3. And the S probably gets a mechanics downgrade for the grab but no pull.

Much appreciated Indy. Great insight as always.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Was the BSB by #2 on a second and 2 at about the +40? A block in the back needs to be clearly in the back and the blocker is usually in chase mode. This is clearly a side block so blind side block is your only option. A key part of BSB is forcible contact. If the blocker leads with their hands it's generally not forcible. If both players are gong the same direction or the blocker is stationary or moving slowly before contact it's usually more of a pick than forcible contract.

This block would be key for the H. There may be blocks further downfield the B and S are watching but they may see this as well. This block clearly meets all criteria of a BSB except the forcible oarpart. If you feel this is a forcible block than you would flag it. Did he blow him up or just block him? You make the call.

Was the BSB by #2 on a second and 2 at about the +40? A block in the back needs to be clearly in the back and the blocker is usually in chase mode. This is clearly a side block so blind side block is your only option. A key part of BSB is forcible contact. If the blocker leads with their hands it's generally not forcible. If both players are gong the same direction or the blocker is stationary or moving slowly before contact it's usually more of a pick than forcible contract.

This block would be key for the H. There may be blocks further downfield the B and S are watching but they may see this as well. This block clearly meets all criteria of a BSB except the forcible oarpart. If you feel this is a forcible block than you would flag it. Did he blow him up or just block him? You make the call.

Yeah that’s the play, it was the block on Talbert. The offensive player teed it up and put his shoulder into the back/shoulder of Talbert. Essentially set the edge with a block from behind, knocking Talbert off balance and pushing him forward and out of the play. No hands appeared to be used, just a shoulder shimmy.

I’ve seen almost identical called against the Bison this year. Judgement call like you said and I’m not completely unbiased on this one. Thanks again Indy!
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Yeah that’s the play, it was the block on Talbert. The offensive player teed it up and put his shoulder into the back/shoulder of Talbert. Essentially set the edge with a block from behind, knocking Talbert off balance and pushing him forward and out of the play. No hands appeared to be used, just a shoulder shimmy.

I’ve seen almost identical called against the Bison this year. Judgement call like you said and I’m not completely unbiased on this one. Thanks again Indy!
    The key difference is the forcible nature of the block. This action can definitely be done legally. The issue is players like to blow up people who don't see the hit coming. It doesn't eliminate what is often called a crack back block (that term doesn't appear in the rule book). If you didn't realize the forcible aspect you may think two exact plays are identical. Forcible is not a factor for blocks in the back. It's also not a safety foul like BSB. It's advantage/disadvantage like holding.

The key difference is the forcible nature
    If only Kev had a nickel for every times he's heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    SHE couldn't get the flag out
    It must have been stuck in her snatch.......no other explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    It must have been stuck in her snatch.......no other explanation.
    what's that.. 3 horrible calls vs us by female refs. can we get an title ix complaint going?,
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?