Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: USD Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: USD Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

I'm guessing there was no holding penalty called on that play.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post

Bwahahaha.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I'm guessing there was no holding penalty called on that play.
    Im of the opinion that a smart move in college football officiating would be the to move the umpire from behind the defense to behind the offensive line opposite the referee. As an umpire, I can attest to the fact that it's a heck of a lot easier to watch for and detect holds (like the picture above) than trying to look thru 10 blocking or onrushing linemen. Also, this move would be safer for umpires (especially for a old man like myself). Unless you've been on the receiving end of a DT being pushed back into you and having him and the OT fall on you, you have no idea.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I don't know why people call Jensen a game manager. The guy had an incredible amount of talent across the board.

Agreed though. When the day comes that we need the QB to save the day (like Jensen, Stick, Lance, Wentz and Walker were all capable of doing) I just don't think Cam will get it done.

But the kid has proven me wrong on other points already. We'll see. Until then I hope we get a lot of "First and Cole" situations mixed in.
    Remember with all those guys they had a dude at wide receiver (maybe even two) that you just kinda knew they were going to throw the ball to...

Walker - T White and Kole
    Jensen - Halloway (and DJ if you count the middle screen)
    Stick - Legendowski and Darrius
    Wentz - Darrius and Vraa
    Lance - Watson (and his freakish athleticism)

Cam doesnt have that guy. Doesnt excuse him missing Henderson by 5 yards on a play action shot. But because we dont have a legit downfield threat, hes going to relegated to throwing to the tight ends/FBs in the flat off play action. That alone will keep us in every ball game and will win 95% of our games. Only when we run into a front 7 worthy of stopping our run will it play an actual role. And while I know there are some stout defenses in the Valley, outside of SDSU I dont see anyone who is going to make us deviate from our plan of running the ball 50-60 times and passing for 10-12 plays.

USD was an anomaly to the year thus far, sans the penalties, and could be attributed to many things. That was USDs super bowl and they acted accordingly. That level of intensity and hype was non existent against Cal Poly the week before.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Gindorff is off the depth chart they distributed before the presser today... I'm guessing that means an extended absence. Entz was not going to give any details when asked in the presser beyond "I don't know" but if the past is any indication they don't take guys off the depth chart unless they're out for an extended time.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Im of the opinion that a smart move in college football officiating would be the to move the umpire from behind the defense to behind the offensive line opposite the referee. As an umpire, I can attest to the fact that it's a heck of a lot easier to watch for and detect holds (like the picture above) than trying to look thru 10 blocking or onrushing linemen. Also, this move would be safer for umpires (especially for a old man like myself). Unless you've been on the receiving end of a DT being pushed back into you and having him and the OT fall on you, you have no idea.
    Some conferences have. It's also a big advantage to 8 man mechanics with a center judge. You give up a lot though if you don't have someone on the defensive side of the ball. The NFL wishes they could put someone back there but since they got rid of it for safety reasons they painted themselves into a corner by not being able to add it a an 8th official.

Still photos are never good for things like this. He could just be fighting through a double team which is rarely going to be a hold unless he's trying to get away from the block. There very well may be a hold here but you need to see all the action. Most mistakes on holds are when you only see a part of it and fill in the rest with what you think may have happened.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Some conferences have. It's also a big advantage to 8 man mechanics with a center judge. You give up a lot though if you don't have someone on the defensive side of the ball. The NFL wishes they could put someone back there but since they got rid of it for safety reasons they painted themselves into a corner by not being able to add it a an 8th official.

Still photos are never good for things like this. He could just be fighting through a double team which is rarely going to be a hold unless he's trying to get away from the block. There very well may be a hold here but you need to see all the action. Most mistakes on holds are when you only see a part of it and fill in the rest with what you think may have happened.

I agree with your statement of giving up a lot when the umpire is behind the offensive line, mainly because it leaves only the backjudge on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage at the snap. ..... not good. Also, with five man crews the side judges have to know who the eligible/ineligible receivers are and if they go down field. There's a movement in South Dakota instigated by the coaches to go to a 6 man crew for AA and AAA football. Good idea except for the fact that there's not enough football officials to go around on a Friday night as it is. Minnesota has tried to stay ahead of the curve by scheduling Thursday games. It has helped.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    I agree with your statement of giving up a lot when the umpire is behind the offensive line, mainly because it leaves only the backjudge on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage at the snap. ..... not good. Also, with five man crews the side judges have to know who the eligible/ineligible receivers are and if they go down field. There's a movement in South Dakota instigated by the coaches to go to a 6 man crew for AA and AAA football. Good idea except for the fact that there's not enough football officials to go around on a Friday night as it is. Minnesota has tried to stay ahead of the curve by scheduling Thursday games. It has helped.
    We would love to do 6 man or 7 man but have the same shortages here. Not sure how we cover 5 man some weeks! I know there have been some Thursday and Saturday games but they usually du that before they determine if they can find officials. Some are Saturday just because of distance. Schools think if they have to travel more than 2 hours they have to play Saturday. Many games in North Dakota (at least the bigger schools) would be Saturday by that threshold!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Gindorff is off the depth chart they distributed before the presser today... I'm guessing that means an extended absence. Entz was not going to give any details when asked in the presser beyond "I don't know" but if the past is any indication they don't take guys off the depth chart unless they're out for an extended time.
    Sit Noah until SDSU
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    He did add a bit more than the usual "I don't know, I haven't seen him/spoken with medical staff yet" response. He said it right away but then added the bit about frustration from Noah and his family as well about this ankle that isn't where they want it and this being his 6th year and not getting missed games back. Doesn't sound like a good thing at all at this point.

Post USD thoughts from me. I was ready to be home after being on the road for 2 weeks at that point. Ran into Road, SD, St. Louis and TSCF. Always nice talking some Bison football with these folks, good people. First half felt a bit like the Arizona game, but glad to get out of there with a W.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    Cam absolutely did save the day against Missouri St last year when he came in for QP and threw two TD passes in 4th for the W
    No kidding lol that was my first thought

literally his first game off the bench last year
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*