Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2022 NCAA Rules Media/Fan Video

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2022 NCAA Rules Media/Fan Video

Several crazy scenarios in this week's video.

https://twitter.com/SECOfficiating/s...MFJXBrL3tYFsBg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had been relying on the SEC Twitter account for these and realized they was probably on a YouTube channel. I found it. Bummed he didn't include the leaping call. There are some good ones here again though.

https://youtu.be/eDWup9Zlr5o

The free kick OOB play I knew that rule well as an umpire. 10 years ago we had it happen in the game and it went OOB on the visiting sideline. The receiving team chose to take the ball at the 35 yard line. It should have been hash 5 (furthest from the press box) but my referee told me the coach wanted it on hash 1. I told him coach didn't have that option. He insisted he did and I was to comply. We debated for a few seconds before I put it on hash 1.

He never did apologize but the next week my pregame discussion assignment was to discuss when teams have the option to request the lateral position of the ball (i.e. fair catch, try, free kick). We still joke about it. This is an example of something fans would never notice or realize is something officials could get wrong.

Last edited by IndyBison; 11-11-2022 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Several crazy scenarios in this week's video.

https://twitter.com/SECOfficiating/s...MFJXBrL3tYFsBg

Sound like they did not call targeting based on his wording for the final cheap shot play. That was nuts.

Week 11. More great plays here. I was watching the WMU spike when it happened and then realized it was the same guy who nailed a guy near the sideline on a pick 6 return. That was his first UNS. Two very dumb plays.

Assisting the runner is rare, but that's about as easy as they get.

https://youtu.be/BzwhpcqPwIw

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IndyBison; 11-18-2022 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Sound like they did not call targeting based on his wording for the final cheap shot play. That was nuts.
    Correct. The way he stated it, the call on the field didn't include targeting and replay did not add it. Not something to see do I'm not surprised the officials didn't process targeting on the field. Replay maybe didn't consider him defenseless so didn't add targeting. I think that was Shaw's point by saying just because this player isn't on the list doesn't mean the crew can't consider him defenseless.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Week 11. More great plays here. I was watching the WMU spike when it happened and then realized it was the same guy who nailed a guy near the sideline on a pick 6 return. That was his first UNS. Two very dumb plays.

Assisting the runner is rare, but that's about as easy as they get.

https://youtu.be/BzwhpcqPwIw

Nothin too crazy this week. Just covered some basics that I think more knowledgeable fans know and did a nice job of profiling appropriate use of quick reply overturn for an obvious blown call.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There was a situation that came up at the end of the first half in the SDSU/ISUr game I was wondering about. SDSU had 2nd and 15 at the Redbird 18 yard line with 17 seconds left and 0 timeouts. They ran a play, got tackled in bounds at the 8 yard line (short of the 1st down) with 10 seconds, and then the clock stopped at 7 seconds because the Jacks were flagged for holding on the play. The penalty was marked off, the clock started on the ref's signal, and the Jacks were able to lineup and spike the ball to set up a FG.

Could ISUr have declined the penalty and gotten a 10-second runoff because the clock kept running at the end of the play?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    There was a situation that came up at the end of the first half in the SDSU/ISUr game I was wondering about. SDSU had 2nd and 15 at the Redbird 18 yard line with 17 seconds left and 0 timeouts. They ran a play, got tackled in bounds at the 8 yard line (short of the 1st down) with 10 seconds, and then the clock stopped at 7 seconds because the Jacks were flagged for holding on the play. The penalty was marked off, the clock started on the ref's signal, and the Jacks were able to lineup and spike the ball to set up a FG.

Could ISUr have declined the penalty and gotten a 10-second runoff because the clock kept running at the end of the play?
    That would not be a 10-second runoff situation. It applies to fouls that cause the clock to stop. The hold itself did not stop the clock. The down continued after the foul. It stopped to administer the penalty. Most 10-second runoff penalties are dead ball fouls (i.e. false start, encroachment, dead ball personal foul). The live ball foul that applies is intentional grounding. Helmet off and injuries are the other triggers. The trigger also has to be the only reason the clock stopped. If a first down was gained or incomplete pass or runner OOB and a 10 second trigger happens the offended team doesn't have an option.

The idea is you don't want to give a team the incentive to do one of these acts intentionally to gain an advantage. Intent is not needed, though, so you get penalized even if it's not intentional. You wouldn't hold someone to stop the clock after the play because it could call back a TD.

They did gain an easier chance of getting the snap off, but they'll be doing it 10 yards further back.

Some good rules lessons here. The ball doesn't always go to the 35 on free kicks OOB. Substitution matchup rules don't apply on last second FGs. The sideline fumble and recovery are tight. You can only hope your eyes and concentration are good enough to catch all that in real time. Replay can be very helpful.

https://youtu.be/L_a8wr92Cgw

Happy Thanksgiving! A greeting making the rounds among officials this week.