Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2022 NCAA Rules Media/Fan Video

Default Re: 2022 NCAA Rules Media/Fan Video

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving! A greeting making the rounds among officials this week.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for sharing this, Indy..... and Happy Thanksgiving

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have successfully stayed away from the GDT and post-game threads because I expect they would only give me a headache. Bisonville would never fail there. I've seen comments on Facebook from friends and the Facebook group. The friends were all pretty logical with expectations and everyone had a great time in Frisco again. The Facebook groups were mixed but better than expected. Another great season by the Bison. The games were closer, but that made the season more interesting and exciting. What the Bison have done the past 12 seasons is incredibly hard especially as long as it has lasted. This isn't necessarily the end of the run. We've had teams that challenged and competed throughout, but the Bison were always able to make one more play to win most of the games. This year the other team was able to do that during the season. Many of those 14-1 seasons could have been 12-3 with 1 or 2 plays going different. In championship games, the first SHSU, Illinois State, and both JMUs could have gone the other way which would still be a great accomplishment overall. The Bison were still the second best team in FCS this year and SDSU has evolved into a worthy champion modeling the Bison way. Being runner-up isn't a failure or indicate the coaches and players are horrible. I have much more respect for them than that.

I mainly wanted to post here to share some rules knowledge from the game. There was an interesting play that occurred that we don't see happen often like this and could be a good training play. On a free kick (kickoff) or scrimmage kick (punt/FG) a key mantra we use is a kick is a kick is a kick. A kick begins when a player legally kicks the ball and ends when the ball is possessed or otherwise dead by rule. That includes going OOB or the ball touches the end zone untouched by B (the receiving team). On the kickoff early in the 3rd quarter, the touching by RaJa (defined as a muff) at the 7 started the game clock but it still keeps the ball status as a kick. When he tries to recover the kick at the 3, that is either a muff (failed to attempt to secure possession) or a bat (intentionally striking the ball) but obviously a muff. The ball goes into the end zone with the original impetus of the ball being a kick so the kicking team is still responsible for it being there. The ball remains live in the end zone because it was touched by the receiving team before touching the end zone. RaJa could have downed it there for a touchback, but he likely didn't know that. The key ruling here was if the ball made it completely out of the end zone. Just like the offense getting the ball into their opponent's end zone for a score, if any part of the ball is breaking the plane, the ball is in the end zone. So in order for them to rule the ball inside the one, they had to determine if the entire ball got out of the end zone. They determined it did not. Replay either confirmed that or felt there wasn't enough evidence to change the ruling. Based on the videos I've seen (best one was a handheld on the Bison sideline), I think they got it right.

Happy off-season Bison fans! I'll return next season with these media/fan videos to help improve your rules knowledge. We still do have a shortage of high school and youth officials around the country so if anyone has any desire to get into this fun avocation let me know. I have contacts with officials around the country and help you get started. It's a great way for college students to have a part-time job, set their hours, and have a decent pay rate compared to the typical retail/restaurant gig. Youth games often pay $40-$50 per game and each game lasts and hour. You could make $200-$300 cash on a Saturday morning working youth games. It's also a great way to stay involved in football (or any other sport) and get a little exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I have successfully stayed away from the GDT and post-game threads because I expect they would only give me a headache. Bisonville would never fail there. I've seen comments on Facebook from friends and the Facebook group. The friends were all pretty logical with expectations and everyone had a great time in Frisco again. The Facebook groups were mixed but better than expected. Another great season by the Bison. The games were closer, but that made the season more interesting and exciting. What the Bison have done the past 12 seasons is incredibly hard especially as long as it has lasted. This isn't necessarily the end of the run. We've had teams that challenged and competed throughout, but the Bison were always able to make one more play to win most of the games. This year the other team was able to do that during the season. Many of those 14-1 seasons could have been 12-3 with 1 or 2 plays going different. In championship games, the first SHSU, Illinois State, and both JMUs could have gone the other way which would still be a great accomplishment overall. The Bison were still the second best team in FCS this year and SDSU has evolved into a worthy champion modeling the Bison way. Being runner-up isn't a failure or indicate the coaches and players are horrible. I have much more respect for them than that.

I mainly wanted to post here to share some rules knowledge from the game. There was an interesting play that occurred that we don't see happen often like this and could be a good training play. On a free kick (kickoff) or scrimmage kick (punt/FG) a key mantra we use is a kick is a kick is a kick. A kick begins when a player legally kicks the ball and ends when the ball is possessed or otherwise dead by rule. That includes going OOB or the ball touches the end zone untouched by B (the receiving team). On the kickoff early in the 3rd quarter, the touching by RaJa (defined as a muff) at the 7 started the game clock but it still keeps the ball status as a kick. When he tries to recover the kick at the 3, that is either a muff (failed to attempt to secure possession) or a bat (intentionally striking the ball) but obviously a muff. The ball goes into the end zone with the original impetus of the ball being a kick so the kicking team is still responsible for it being there. The ball remains live in the end zone because it was touched by the receiving team before touching the end zone. RaJa could have downed it there for a touchback, but he likely didn't know that. The key ruling here was if the ball made it completely out of the end zone. Just like the offense getting the ball into their opponent's end zone for a score, if any part of the ball is breaking the plane, the ball is in the end zone. So in order for them to rule the ball inside the one, they had to determine if the entire ball got out of the end zone. They determined it did not. Replay either confirmed that or felt there wasn't enough evidence to change the ruling. Based on the videos I've seen (best one was a handheld on the Bison sideline), I think they got it right.

Happy off-season Bison fans! I'll return next season with these media/fan videos to help improve your rules knowledge. We still do have a shortage of high school and youth officials around the country so if anyone has any desire to get into this fun avocation let me know. I have contacts with officials around the country and help you get started. It's a great way for college students to have a part-time job, set their hours, and have a decent pay rate compared to the typical retail/restaurant gig. Youth games often pay $40-$50 per game and each game lasts and hour. You could make $200-$300 cash on a Saturday morning working youth games. It's also a great way to stay involved in football (or any other sport) and get a little exercise.
    Great explanation on the kick Indy. I knew most of that rule and explained it to the group we were watching with but didn't realize the entire ball has to make it out of the end zone but if you think about it as the reverse of a TD it makes perfect sense.