Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Default Re: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Explain to me how getting paid for your work screws up your education?
    Explain to me how I said getting paid screws up your education? Answer: it isn't what I said, but you love arguing so I'll take the bait.

-Changing schools to chase $200k before taxes will absolutely screw with your degree. For instance, Illy State has no ABET accredited engineering programs. If you're an engineering student you'll end up losing more money than you make long term.
    -What if certain credits don't count/transfer? Now you've transferred to a school where you need to stay longer for a degree. You need to make a decision on whether you're going to forego the NFL and stick around and pay completely out of pocket for more time in school once your eligibility is up.
    -Maybe you never graduate at all? I'd be interested to see what the graduation rate is for athletes who transfer vs. those who stay at the same school their entire academic career.

I would bet my last dollar that transferring doesn't help your education, and instead hurts it. Therefore screwing it up. Which is what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Spending other people's money continues to be easy. There's only so much water in the well and we should think carefully on how it's used.
    There is plenty of water in the well. Besides if someone started a 501c and solicited numerous smaller donations it would be a multi person effort. But donors or advertisers get something in return.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Spending other people's money continues to be easy. There's only so much water in the well and we should think carefully on how it's used.
    Just because you're against it doesn't mean the rest are. NDSU doesn't seem to have a problem with finding the money or the support. And we aren't necessarily spending other people's money. Some of that money is our own.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Having $200,000 in your bank account to start your post college life ...
    ... but would they?

According to the New York Daily News, 70 percent of lottery winners end up broke within seven years.
    https://www.abc15.com/news/state/cur...0them%20suffer.

NIL seems like a good deal for athletic departments if all of this cash is coming from private donors.

I guess the only downside is some boosters may reduce their donation to the schools booster club and contribute send that money to the collective or whatever it is. Then again, those same people may worry about something like priority points where they might lose out on the best seats or other perks. The schools still keep 100% of the money they get from media deals and tickets.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Explain to me how getting paid for you work is like winning the lottery?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Getting paid for what amounts to essentially a mediocre full time job to go to school full time and practice football full time is hardly winning the lottery

Now if you earn Carson Wentz or Trey Lance money..
    might have a point

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Explain to me how getting paid for you work is like winning the lottery?
    It was handed to them for winning the genetic lottery that made them great at a sport. Do they really understand and appreciate the money.

Nineteen year old kid with a six-figure bank account; forgive me, but I don't see that ending well. But I'm also probably pretty cynical right now because I just signed the papers to be the fiduciary of my sister's estate until her daughters are 35 should something happen to her.

It was handed to them for winning the genetic lottery that made them great at a sport. Do they really understand and appreciate the money.

Nineteen year old kid with a six-figure bank account; forgive me, but I don't see that ending well. But I'm also probably pretty cynical right now because I just signed the papers to be the fiduciary of my sister's estate until her daughters are 35 should something happen to her.
    People aren't going to like your comparison because it implies the athletes haven't done anything to deserve it. At the end of the day, if someone is willing to pay another person to do anything legal I don't have a problem with it. No, they aren't going to have the same appreciation for the money that you or I old folks have but that's no reason to stop someone from being paid. If they blow through all their money they're no worse off than the broke college student they already are.

I think a better point is that they won't have $200k in their bank account because the state and fed govt's are going to take about 1/3 of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Yeah, seems like decisions that families should be making for themselves rather than the shamature athletics nanny state.

Also the genetic lottery comment really diminishes the incredible amount of effort, dedication and study that is required to excel at even the FCS level of football.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie