Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Default Re: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Title IX doesn't go away if FB players get paid. It applies to pretty much everything associated with educational institutions that receive federal funds. It is not aimed specifically at athletics, even if that's what the general public sees the most. Not saying the big dogs might not try to "spin off" FB and MBB but that'll almost certainly go to court, and who knows what'll happen then. While I'm not making any predictions on the result, I expect someone will sue over men's sports receiving far more NIL than women's.
    You misunderstood what I was saying about Title IX. What I mean is if fb is no longer associated with universities and somehow becomes minor-league fb or something (I think that's what others were suggesting could happen) then there are no more scholarships for fb and fewer female scholarships would be required to maintain "equity".

And NIL doesn't come from the schools right? It's a relationship between the business and the athlete. I don't think someone can mandate that Scheels' (made up example) has to pay a female bb player $5,000 because they gave the same deal to Grant Nelson (again, just a made up example). I don't see how title IX could apply.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

and if they're not student athletes anymore (I'm told it's shamateurism), then why does title IX apply at all, if it no longer has anything to do with education?

I'm not predicting anything...I have no idea where this ends. I just think there are a lot of inconsistencies in the thinking being applied by everyone and as has been pointed out, there can be unintended consequences.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    but don't the "revenue" sports pay for all the rest of it? also, if FB goes away, so will a lot of female scholarships because they'll no longer be required for title IX.
    Right, women’s basketball has more scholarships than men’s, track and field as well, basically every sport where there are both a mens and a womens team there are more scholarships for the women because of football. Take football out of the athletic department and that equity/reverse equity “problem” is solved.

Of course you don’t have to solve it by taking anything away from the women if you don’t want to. The NCAA could instead provide more opportunity for men in those sports. If it were really about education maybe that’s what they’d do.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    You misunderstood what I was saying about Title IX. What I mean is if fb is no longer associated with universities and somehow becomes minor-league fb or something (I think that's what others were suggesting could happen) then there are no more scholarships for fb and fewer female scholarships would be required to maintain "equity".

And NIL doesn't come from the schools right? It's a relationship between the business and the athlete. I don't think someone can mandate that Scheels' (made up example) has to pay a female bb player $5,000 because they gave the same deal to Grant Nelson (again, just a made up example). I don't see how title IX could apply.
    We've already tried non-college paid FB. XFL and Arena Football didn't go well. They can try to argue in the courts that players enrolled at the school, using school training facilities, playing on school owned fields, and the program managed by the school is legally separate because their finances say so, but I don't think they'll get far. I haven't seen anything saying the big boys are looking to abandon their brand.
    As for NIL and Title IX, I expect the courts to decide. Could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    We've already tried non-college paid FB. XFL and Arena Football didn't go well. They can try to argue in the courts that players enrolled at the school, using school training facilities, playing on school owned fields, and the program managed by the school is legally separate because their finances say so, but I don't think they'll get far. I haven't seen anything saying the big boys are looking to abandon their brand.
    As for NIL and Title IX, I expect the courts to decide. Could go either way.
    Its just an interim solution one way or the other. Sooner rather than later we will stop pretending that we’re not paying these athletes to entertain us.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Saw on the Twitter-machine over the weekend, re: the NIL deal Cameron Ward received, when he transferred from Incarnate Word to Washington State...$90k package which included a free apartment, free lease on a pickup, and $50k in cash in exchange for "promotional appearances." President of the Cougar Collective (which runs the NIL at WSU) said, "It looks like a steal compared to what some of these other QB's are getting." So...when Kienholz committed to the University of Washington, you have to wonder what kind of $$$ they threw his way to get him to sign? I'm not saying he wouldn't have ended up there anyway, but I can all but assume it was a figure that NDSU wouldn't have a sniff at matching.

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Saw on the Twitter-machine over the weekend, re: the NIL deal Cameron Ward received, when he transferred from Incarnate Word to Washington State...$90k package which included a free apartment, free lease on a pickup, and $50k in cash in exchange for "promotional appearances." President of the Cougar Collective (which runs the NIL at WSU) said, "It looks like a steal compared to what some of these other QB's are getting." So...when Kienholz committed to the University of Washington, you have to wonder what kind of $$$ they threw his way to get him to sign? I'm not saying he wouldn't have ended up there anyway, but I can all but assume it was a figure that NDSU wouldn't have a sniff at matching.
    Sounds like maybe the kid should have held out for more of the guy on the other side of the table is willing to publicly admit that he thinks it was such a great deal.

With today's social media, players pulling in $100K that don't perform had better be prepared for nasty comments.

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd assume it's only a matter of time before NDSU has a "foundation" similar to Ohio State: https://www.thefoundationohio.com/

It'll be interesting to see the hoops some of these foundations jump through in order to main 501(c)3 charitable status. It'll also be interesting to see who, other than the student-athletes, gets fatter pocketbooks off of these types of things.
    That's the only part I'm not sure how this would work. Otherwise it's just like Teammakers. Are the schools foundations distributing the NIL deals directly to the athlete's or thru the school? I don't understand how it's working.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    That's the only part I'm not sure how this would work. Otherwise it's just like Teammakers. Are the schools foundations distributing the NIL deals directly to the athlete's or thru the school? I don't understand how it's working.
    Tutorial: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/what-ar...-they-operate/