Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Hybrid View

Default McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...-into-nil-pool

Good article and I think this deserves it's own thread.

My thoughts on NIL. It is one of the most pivotal times in our programs history. I would liken it to the 1990s when D2 cut scholarships and we decided to stay instead of move up. The quality of football dropped throughout D2.

There are some schools that have businesses that are doing some interesting things. BYU found a creative way to get every player, including Walk Ons, $6,000. I did a Google search "How much is tuition at BYU?" $5,970 USD. So basically they already have their 85 full rides who get an extra 6 grand and they can now offer all walk ons essentially as a full ride. Even players above the 105 roster limit who are on the practice squad.

If we don't figure out how to do this, every mid major team could be seriously fucked. If a Power 5 team has 22 more scholarships to begin with, they will just offer all walk ons a stipend to cover tuition. That's 105 players or 20 more scholarships per team. Then they offer the same for a practice squad. Before you know it, the talent pool is gone.

Of course if we can pull it off, at the very least it makes our full rides more competitive because they would get that on top of a full ride and the stipend.

We're not going to find a donor to pay for 548 student athletes at 10-12 grand a year. That would cost 1.2 million annually. But if we can get 10 donors or businesses to do 125k a year, that's doable. Even half and its massive. That would make every walk on able to pay half their tuition and every half scholarship a full ride. It would be a stepping stone to moving up. But if we don't do it, other teams will, even in the FCS

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1...and-images-nil

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

I know we don't have P5 money but....Texas Tech's solution to this was awesome. Their NIL collective is paying every athlete $25,000 in exchange for community service hours. I also like Mike Leach's approach to this where he wants athletes to opt into one of two systems upon enrollment. One is akin to free agency where all the money is up front and it's the wild west but nothing is guaranteed and your roster spot can be axed for any reason. The second option guarantees your scholarship money and it can't be taken away regardless of performance or injury. Upon graduation you receive $150,000 from the university for services rendered.

Since deals like the NIL collective at Texas Tech are not run by the school, are they exempt from Title IX restrictions? It looks like the TTU thing only pays football players which might make something similar easier to do for mid-major schools that only have 1-2 big revenue sports that most fans care about.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Since deals like the NIL collective at Texas Tech are not run by the school, are they exempt from Title IX restrictions? It looks like the TTU thing only pays football players which might make something similar easier to do for mid-major schools that only have 1-2 big revenue sports that most fans care about.
    I think Texas Tech's is for women's basketball and football right now. I have no idea how Title IX plays into this but one would think it will somehow in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I think Texas Tech's is for women's basketball and football right now. I have no idea how Title IX plays into this but one would think it will somehow in the future.
    It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.
    well... theres THAT....

I do agree with you but it will be tough to get every school to agree to remove the educational aspect of the college football structure. Youre right, dont get me wrong, but I just dont see it every actually Happening is all
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Well if that's the way it goes then I'll cease to be a fan. I'm all for finding a way to remove the full financial burden of a DI student athlete because it is a 365 days a year commitment now that leaves little time for anything else. I'm all for lifetime tuition reimbursement so that every student athlete that uses up their eligibility has every opportunity to graduate. I'm all for some sort of an endowment that would give student athletes who sacrifice their bodies so the NCAA and ESPN can make Billions off them a payment upon graduating. If we have a Wentz, Trey, Christian type athlete that can make some extra scratch for appearing in TV ads then great. However being part of a pay to play scheme where we bid for athletes against other schools is not something I will support.

I think its also time to stop pretending that every D1 athlete squanders their chance for a free education.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

98% of the student athletes are students first. There are 90 championships in NCAA across all divisions and the percentage of those athletes receiving NIL are very small. Top P5 football and men's basketball programs and maybe a couple others are in the context of this conversation. If you trove the educational aspect of the student athletes you become a professional minor league that has no reason to be associated with a university. That actually where I see this going on the current trend. Alabama and Notre Dame still have football programs but in the same sense they have baseball and soccer programs. Some support beyond friends and family but not the huge support you have today. You'll go to minor league games to watch many of the top players you watch today. An NDSU competes with them similar to baseball and track. We are definitely closer but fewer people will care.

Careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Title IX does not apply to NIL because NIL deals do not fall under the university and are completely separate from Title IX jurisdiction.