Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

reformedUNDfan is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Herd is right here. Lead or be led.

Having advanced NIL will look good to the AAC or MWC
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

If we want to continue to be a top tier program, and get the invite to FBS or whatever happens after the P3 or whatever break off, this is the new reality.

I just hope all those who ripped the NCAA to shreds for preserving amateurism get behind this. A blind donkey could have seen this stuff coming.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Herd is right here. Lead or be led.

Having advanced NIL will look good to the AAC or MWC
    Why stop at competing with the G5 level NIL when we really want the P5 level talent. If we want those guys we need to have P5 level NIL, money is going to drive these kids more than a chance to win titles or attend QBU

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    Why stop at competing with the G5 level NIL when we really want the P5 level talent. If we want those guys we need to have P5 level NIL, money is going to drive these kids more than a chance to win titles or attend QBU
    I agree. Especially at the QB position

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.
    98% of the student athletes are students first. There are 90 championships in NCAA across all divisions and the percentage of those athletes receiving NIL are very small. Top P5 football and men's basketball programs and maybe a couple others are in the context of this conversation. If you trove the educational aspect of the student athletes you become a professional minor league that has no reason to be associated with a university. That actually where I see this going on the current trend. Alabama and Notre Dame still have football programs but in the same sense they have baseball and soccer programs. Some support beyond friends and family but not the huge support you have today. You'll go to minor league games to watch many of the top players you watch today. An NDSU competes with them similar to baseball and track. We are definitely closer but fewer people will care.

Careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    98% of the student athletes are students first. There are 90 championships in NCAA across all divisions and the percentage of those athletes receiving NIL are very small. Top P5 football and men's basketball programs and maybe a couple others are in the context of this conversation. If you trove the educational aspect of the student athletes you become a professional minor league that has no reason to be associated with a university. That actually where I see this going on the current trend. Alabama and Notre Dame still have football programs but in the same sense they have baseball and soccer programs. Some support beyond friends and family but not the huge support you have today. You'll go to minor league games to watch many of the top players you watch today. An NDSU competes with them similar to baseball and track. We are definitely closer but fewer people will care.

Careful what you ask for. You may just get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I didn’t mean to suggest such a thing would apply to every sport really just the “revenue” sports. If you stop pretending that top flight college football is anything other than a developmental league for the NFL a lot of title IX “problems” solve themselves.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 08-06-2022 at 06:25 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I didn’t mean to suggest such a thing would apply to every sport really just the “revenue” sports. If you stop pretending that to flight college football is anything other than a developmental league for the NFL a lot of title IX “problems” solve themselves.
    but don't the "revenue" sports pay for all the rest of it? also, if FB goes away, so will a lot of female scholarships because they'll no longer be required for title IX.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

I'd assume it's only a matter of time before NDSU has a "foundation" similar to Ohio State: https://www.thefoundationohio.com/

If you’re passionate about Ohio State Athletics, and you have the means, we ask that you kindly donate to The Foundation. Your donations will directly benefit Ohio State Student-Athletes while raising awareness for one of our approved charities. You will receive a receipt after your donation that can be saved for tax write-off purposes. Donating to The Foundation is a win-win.
    It'll be interesting to see the hoops some of these foundations jump through in order to main 501(c)3 charitable status. It'll also be interesting to see who, other than the student-athletes, gets fatter pocketbooks off of these types of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd assume it's only a matter of time before NDSU has a "foundation" similar to Ohio State: https://www.thefoundationohio.com/

It'll be interesting to see the hoops some of these foundations jump through in order to main 501(c)3 charitable status. It'll also be interesting to see who, other than the student-athletes, gets fatter pocketbooks off of these types of things.
    That’s how shamaturism works. Everyone else gets paid first and the people who actually do the thing that we pay to see get the scraps.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    but don't the "revenue" sports pay for all the rest of it? also, if FB goes away, so will a lot of female scholarships because they'll no longer be required for title IX.
    Title IX doesn't go away if FB players get paid. It applies to pretty much everything associated with educational institutions that receive federal funds. It is not aimed specifically at athletics, even if that's what the general public sees the most. Not saying the big dogs might not try to "spin off" FB and MBB but that'll almost certainly go to court, and who knows what'll happen then. While I'm not making any predictions on the result, I expect someone will sue over men's sports receiving far more NIL than women's.