Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely: Time for NDSU to jump into NIL pool

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Well if that's the way it goes then I'll cease to be a fan. I'm all for finding a way to remove the full financial burden of a DI student athlete because it is a 365 days a year commitment now that leaves little time for anything else. If we have a Wentz, Trey, Christian type athlete that can make some extra scratch for appearing in TV ads then great. Being part of a pay to play scheme where we bid for athletes is not something I will support.
    This seems pretty rich coming from McF. He’d be on the other side of the issue criticizing NDSU if they were trying to do too much too quickly.

Most of his FBS and NIL drama in paragraph is more about, “look how smart I am” from McF. He acts like he’s on the leading edge of these issues, but really he’s a late adapter. He talks about FBS stuff like it’s his idea, while he is way behind the curve. I usually feel dumber reading his stuff, and this is no exception.

NDSU will do what it needs to do when the timing is right. As for raising money to basically give out another stipend to everyone? That seems like a losing proposition. It’s supposed to be about players exploring their marketability. The most marketable athlete on campus is probably Grant Nelson or Cam Miller, was previously Christian Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    This seems pretty rich coming from McF. He’d be on the other side of the issue criticizing NDSU if they were trying to do too much too quickly.

Most of his FBS and NIL drama in paragraph is more about, “look how smart I am” from McF. He acts like he’s on the leading edge of these issues, but really he’s a late adapter. He talks about FBS stuff like it’s his idea, while he is way behind the curve. I usually feel dumber reading his stuff, and this is no exception.

NDSU will do what it needs to do when the timing is right. As for raising money to basically give out another stipend to everyone? That seems like a losing proposition. It’s supposed to be about players exploring their marketability. The most marketable athlete on campus is probably Grant Nelson or Cam Miller, was previously Christian Watson.
    Not really. Coach Entz when asked said he lost a few players because of it. That's the story

I don't think its a huge deal this year, but next year it will be. Also its going to make players more likely to enter the transfer portal in the future. I'm glad this is bejng discused NOW so we aren't left behind.

Its going to take a group similar to Teammakers to make it work.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Isn't the NIL money coming from the same "pool" of money that teammakers, NDSU is trying to capture? Its not like NIL opens up a list of donors that all of a sudden want to contribute in my opinion. In QB that is getting the NIL from the local mattress company for example. Is that new money into the program or just a reallocation of what the business was already doing, but they get a more direct benefit. NDSU athlete and athletics is sponsored as part of their advertising. Versus being a team maker and just one of many businesses on the Team Maker list.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It seems like the obvious solution to that little conundrum is to stop pretending that what you’re doing is educating students, then all you have to do is pay them what they’re worth.
    I think its also time to stop pretending that every D1 athlete squanders their chance for a free education.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Isn't the NIL money coming from the same "pool" of money that teammakers, NDSU is trying to capture? Its not like NIL opens up a list of donors that all of a sudden want to contribute in my opinion. In QB that is getting the NIL from the local mattress company for example. Is that new money into the program or just a reallocation of what the business was already doing, but they get a more direct benefit. NDSU athlete and athletics is sponsored as part of their advertising. Versus being a team maker and just one of many businesses on the Team Maker list.
    Yeah I'm with you. I'm also curious how much "new" money NDSU is really capable of bringing in for the purpose of cutting kids a check.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Yeah I'm with you. I'm also curious how much "new" money NDSU is really capable of bringing in for the purpose of cutting kids a check.
    Probably only at the expense of whoever companies are currently paying for generic voiceovers. If I was the Don's Car Wash kid's agent I'd be shaking in my boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...-into-nil-pool

Good article and I think this deserves it's own thread.

My thoughts on NIL. It is one of the most pivotal times in our programs history. I would liken it to the 1990s when D2 cut scholarships and we decided to stay instead of move up. The quality of football dropped throughout D2.

There are some schools that have businesses that are doing some interesting things. BYU found a creative way to get every player, including Walk Ons, $6,000. I did a Google search "How much is tuition at BYU?" $5,970 USD. So basically they already have their 85 full rides who get an extra 6 grand and they can now offer all walk ons essentially as a full ride. Even players above the 105 roster limit who are on the practice squad.

If we don't figure out how to do this, every mid major team could be seriously fucked. If a Power 5 team has 22 more scholarships to begin with, they will just offer all walk ons a stipend to cover tuition. That's 105 players or 20 more scholarships per team. Then they offer the same for a practice squad. Before you know it, the talent pool is gone.

Of course if we can pull it off, at the very least it makes our full rides more competitive because they would get that on top of a full ride and the stipend.

We're not going to find a donor to pay for 548 student athletes at 10-12 grand a year. That would cost 1.2 million annually. But if we can get 10 donors or businesses to do 125k a year, that's doable. Even half and its massive. That would make every walk on able to pay half their tuition and every half scholarship a full ride. It would be a stepping stone to moving up. But if we don't do it, other teams will, even in the FCS

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1...and-images-nil
    What team do we need to compete against in the FCS for NIL? Are we going to have our donors dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into NIL just to compete against the FBS for recruits when the rest of the FCS isn’t. Seems like a waste of money unless we are competing in the FBS. We already are winning in the recruiting battles against the FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    NDSU won’t be cutting any checks. They will not be involved in any of the money exchanges. Groups independent of the university will have to form to pay NIL dollars. Not sure if Teammakers is far enough removed from NDSU to serve in this roll.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I think Texas Tech's is for women's basketball and football right now. I have no idea how Title IX plays into this but one would think it will somehow in the future.
    Title IX does not apply to NIL because NIL deals do not fall under the university and are completely separate from Title IX jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...-into-nil-pool

Good article and I think this deserves it's own thread.

My thoughts on NIL. It is one of the most pivotal times in our programs history. I would liken it to the 1990s when D2 cut scholarships and we decided to stay instead of move up. The quality of football dropped throughout D2.

There are some schools that have businesses that are doing some interesting things. BYU found a creative way to get every player, including Walk Ons, $6,000. I did a Google search "How much is tuition at BYU?" $5,970 USD. So basically they already have their 85 full rides who get an extra 6 grand and they can now offer all walk ons essentially as a full ride. Even players above the 105 roster limit who are on the practice squad.

If we don't figure out how to do this, every mid major team could be seriously fucked. If a Power 5 team has 22 more scholarships to begin with, they will just offer all walk ons a stipend to cover tuition. That's 105 players or 20 more scholarships per team. Then they offer the same for a practice squad. Before you know it, the talent pool is gone.

Of course if we can pull it off, at the very least it makes our full rides more competitive because they would get that on top of a full ride and the stipend.

We're not going to find a donor to pay for 548 student athletes at 10-12 grand a year. That would cost 1.2 million annually. But if we can get 10 donors or businesses to do 125k a year, that's doable. Even half and its massive. That would make every walk on able to pay half their tuition and every half scholarship a full ride. It would be a stepping stone to moving up. But if we don't do it, other teams will, even in the FCS

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1...and-images-nil
    So we can count you in for 125k ?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."