Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season and 2023 Recruiting

Default 2022 Season and 2023 Recruiting

Season is set to kick off in a few weeks and the team has several new faces.

The strength of the team should be the OH again with Tanchin and Hinze back. If Alexis Boling can get more consistent, her and Michelle Glover should make for a very solid MB duo.

While the players up front should be solid, they'll need some players to consistently get them the ball in good spots and on time, which was an issue at times last year. At setter, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out with Kelley Johnson back and battling Eke Denneson, a South Florida transfer. They need better play out of the Liberos too and return Taylor Quan and Ava Schmoll, while bringing in Nora Raasch and Logan O'Brien, who is North Florida transfer.

On the recruiting front, NDSU picked up recent 2023 commitments from 6'2" MB Emma Tallman out of Iowa and OH Lauren Jansen out of Illinois

Default Re: 2022 Season and 2023 Recruiting

NDSU took on MSUM yesterday and looked solid. I missed the entire first set, but a few notes from what I saw:

I thought setter Eke Denessen looked good and libero Logan O'Brien looked very good too (both are transfers). NDSU can roll with Kelley Johnson and Ava Schmoll over them, but the transfers are both sophomores while the incumbents are Seniors. I hope both transfers get the bulk of the playing time.

As far as the freshmen, Baily Randall has some juice and I could see her being in the rotation up front.

For the returning players, I thought there were 3 noteworthy performance. Ali Hinze looked fantastic and was doing a better job of connecting when the sets weren't perfect. Syra Tanchin got to play in the back row, including serves, and looked solid. I'll be interested to see if that holds into the regular season. Alexis Boling looked improved up front too. If she can be a consistent presence up front, that'll make this team a lot better.

Bison start the season off with a W against Jackson State at a tournament hosted by SEMO.

NDSU 25 23 15 25 16
    JSU…. 20 25 25 17 14

Their match tonight at 7:00 against SEMO is on ESPN+

Bison beat SEMO in Cape Girardeau 3-2

NDSU 17 25 25 21 15
    SEMO 25 19 21 25 10

We play Arkansas - Pine Bluff tomorrow at 11am

533 In a row

Bison sweep Pine Bluff in 3 sets.

Nice way to start the season.

Next week at Louisiana
    Fri 9am Louisiana
    Fri 4pm UTSA
    Sat 9am UTRGVWXYZ

533 In a row

NDSU playing now 9am on ESPN+
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

lost 3-1. NDSU plays again.

I'm no volleyball expert! but the libero was really off today.

Louisiana was decidedly better though
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Bison over UTSA in three sets.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    lost 3-1. NDSU plays again.

I'm no volleyball expert! but the libero was really off today.

Louisiana was decidedly better though
    NDSU had a terrible day of travel and Ali Hinze didn't get there with the rest of the team. Louisiana attacked Syra quite a bit off the serve and on attacks and she really struggled, especially in that first set. If Hinze had been there, they would've had more options to sub her out, but they essentially had to keep in her because they don't really have anyone other than Syra or Hinze that can attack from the back row. I thought Kelley Johnson was solid again and had some really well timed setter dumps

The ladies sweep Montana State to close their tournament. They beat Chicago State in 5 sets, lost to Central Michigan in 5 sets, then swept Montana State today.

Syra Tanchin, Michelle Glover, and Ali Hinze were all really good and Kelley Johnson was very good at setter too. Logan O'Brien started the final two matches at libero and I don't think she'll give that role up. With the exception of a few over passes, she was a big improvement